Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Would anyone have any knowledge of replacing the front wiper motor.
After looking through the forum there are a few posts that contain the exact symptoms as mine i.e wipers starting as soon as car switched on,then stopping in a random position then having to be docked by pressing down on the stalk.
The replies all seem to point to a new wiper motor.
Is it something that could be changed myself and what would it entail

many thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hi
sorry to ask again but could any one confirm if the wiper motor is the correct cause of this as i have seen a couple on ebay that have the correct part number but don't want to buy if there could be another cause. TIA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi.Thanks for the info looks like it could still point to the motor as they do wipe ok but come on when starting the car even in the off position

·
Banned
28 Posts
Hi
Would anyone have any knowledge of replacing the front wiper motor.
After looking through the forum there are a few posts that contain the exact symptoms as mine i.e wipers starting as soon as car switched on,then stopping in a random position then having to be docked by pressing down on the stalk.
The replies all seem to point to a new wiper motor.
Is it something that could be changed myself and what would it entail

many thanks
I replaced my wiper motor a few years ago. It would have been a warranty job, but I could not wait for Vauxhall garage to locate the part, and I did not fancy the mechanic damaging my car in the process of removal/re-fitment, etc. Prefer to do my own repairs generally. Anyway, I found a very reasonably priced motor and linkage on ebay and did it myself. First you need to remove wiper arms, can be a bit fiddly to get them off after removing the nut. Give the arms a tap with a rubber hammer or something similar, helps them to jump off the spindles.
Then remove the plastic water deflector at bottom of windscreen, have a good look at it before removal and it is quite an easy job. https://vauxhall.7zap.com/en/car/j13/c/5/1-0/
Next remove the wiper mechanism, very easy part. https://vauxhall.7zap.com/en/car/j13/p/10/8-0/
PM me if you need any more help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I replaced my wiper motor a few years ago. It would have been a warranty job, but I could not wait for Vauxhall garage to locate the part, and I did not fancy the mechanic damaging my car in the process of removal/re-fitment, etc. Prefer to do my own repairs generally. Anyway, I found a very reasonably priced motor and linkage on ebay and did it myself. First you need to remove wiper arms, can be a bit fiddly to get them off after removing the nut. Give the arms a tap with a rubber hammer or something similar, helps them to jump off the spindles.
Then remove the plastic water deflector at bottom of windscreen, have a good look at it before removal and it is quite an easy job. https://vauxhall.7zap.com/en/car/j13/c/5/1-0/
Next remove the wiper mechanism, very easy part. https://vauxhall.7zap.com/en/car/j13/p/10/8-0/
PM me if you need any more help.
That's brilliant info.Did have a quick look today and can actually see the part number through the plastic scuttle panel.
Could i just ask if the problems i am having are the same as you had and do the scuttle retainer clips just push in and out.
Thanks

·
Banned
28 Posts
That's brilliant info.Did have a quick look today and can actually see the part number through the plastic scuttle panel.
Could i just ask if the problems i am having are the same as you had and do the scuttle retainer clips just push in and out.
Thanks
The symptoms you had were very similar to mine. I spent some time on Google looking for similar problems on other Vauxhall vehicles and it all pointed to the motor. The scuttle clips are a bit of a pain, I used a set of trim removal tools, only a few quid on eBay. I also used small nosed pliers to push up the ones I could see from inside the engine bay. I have had the scuttle out a few times now to do other jobs on the front suspension, so I can do it very quickly now. Just need a bit of patience with the clips and removing the wiper arms. When you remove the wiper arm nuts it is quite difficult to wiggle off the arms. I found that giving them a tap, midway along the wiper arm shaft, helped to get them to move up and out. I believe you can buy a tool that makes it a bit easier.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The symptoms you had were very similar to mine. I spent some time on Google looking for similar problems on other Vauxhall vehicles and it all pointed to the motor. The scuttle clips are a bit of a pain, I used a set of trim removal tools, only a few quid on eBay. I also used small nosed pliers to push up the ones I could see from inside the engine bay. I have had the scuttle out a few times now to do other jobs on the front suspension, so I can do it very quickly now. Just need a bit of patience with the clips and removing the wiper arms. When you remove the wiper arm nuts it is quite difficult to wiggle off the arms. I found that giving them a tap, midway along the wiper arm shaft, helped to get them to move up and out. I believe you can buy a tool that makes it a bit easier.
Thanks for your reply i will get on ebay and order one now before they go !!

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
It's hard to believe the antics of some! :sad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with the wipers starting when ignition switched on, and also stopping mid screen. Did a replacement motor solve the problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vauxhall's in their infinite wisdom no longer supply the wiper motor on its own. It is now only available as a complete linkage and motor assy. This retails at £316.80 inc vat but has over 60 on back order in Europe. Ebay and the like may split them

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi.Having just replaced mine with a complete unit i purchased from ebay from a 2016 model.I would say it is easier to change the complete unit than just the motor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to add my thanks on this thread. I was having the same issue, and was able to repair the fault in the motor.
A small push-on clip had corroded, which caused an intermittent break in the circuit. Found a video on YouTube which clearly showed how to repair. Easy fix and saved me £200 on a new motor or £50 on a 2nd hand one.
Only expense would be a starlock washer to replace the corroded one and some trim fittings if any break on removal. I used a trim removal tool for the scuttle, a 15mm socket for the wiper arms, a hammer to gently loosen them, a 10mm socket for the linkages and a t30 torx bit to remove the motor. A small screwdriver or pick and a wire brush can help to clean it all up before reassembly. I used a 4mm socket to press the starlock on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to add my thanks on this thread. I was having the same issue, and was able to repair the fault in the motor.
A small push-on clip had corroded, which caused an intermittent break in the circuit. Found a video on YouTube which clearly showed how to repair. Easy fix and saved me £200 on a new motor or £50 on a 2nd hand one.
Only expense would be a starlock washer to replace the corroded one and some trim fittings if any break on removal. I used a trim removal tool for the scuttle, a 15mm socket for the wiper arms, a hammer to gently loosen them, a 10mm socket for the linkages and a t30 torx bit to remove the motor. A small screwdriver or pick and a wire brush can help to clean it all up before reassembly. I used a 4mm socket to press the starlock on.
I got hold of some stainless steel circlips in readiness for this job. Will these fit, or will only starlock washers fit in place of the corroded one?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts