Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I ordered these a few weeks back and fitted them today, thinking that the weather is now cooling down.
I went for 18” rims and had them fitted with the same size tyres that came on the Vauxhall rims.
TPMS valves are fitted and I was able to synchronise them to the car with a gadget off ebay that cost less than a tenner.
Theres a bit of tyre lube on the sidewall that makes ‘em look a bit odd but I’m pleased with the effect. I’m hoping the ride quality, steering feel and handling aren’t effected.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You could always wash the tyre lube off?
My winter tyres and wheels are 17" compared to my normal 19".
17" are a much more comfortable ride and everything feels just a little softer.
Nice wheels you have though. 👍

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d intended giving ‘em a wash when I got them out of the shed on Monday but having treated the inner facing surfaces with ACF50, loosened all the nuts and then removed the first wheel, I found that I’d been supplied with the wrong set of wheel nuts.
That meant I had to put everything away and wait for the delivery of the correct set.
When the new set arrived, I’d got three wheels fitted before realising that one of the new nuts hadn’t got any thread!
The supplier has told me that a replacement is in the post.
I cracked on and did the TPMS sync but have had to leave the car on the driveway as I won’t drive it with a nut missing.
With that, other commitments and the changing weather, I knocked it on the head for the day, hence no final polish.
Interesting to hear your experience with the different tyre sizes.
I’d not wanted the ride to be any harder than it is on 18’s but thought it needed to be quite firm to maintain its cornering stance.
The rest was down to tyre profiles for the best grip on icey roads and then having enough sidewall height to give some protection to the rim against potholes.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't put my winters on until its consistently 7oC or lower as they wear faster and don't work as well in warmer weather. Last year I didn't have to put them on until the back end of Jan/start of Feb and i'm in the North-east of England! Feels like it might be pre-Christmas this year though

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It’s not been that cold down here so far but it’s hovered close to 7 degrees and we’ve had plenty of wet weather. They are great in the wet.
The problem with leaving it ‘til you need ‘em is whether you’ve got opportunity to fit ‘em and it’s the possibility of getting caught out. It’s the wife’s primary transport so it gives me some reassurance.
I‘ve been running winters on my van since last year and there is some loss of performance on warmer days but not enough to convince me to buy a set of summers.
Yesterday I swapped the Cross Climate all-season tyres on my lads van so that the tyres with the better tread are on the front, leaving him about 4mm on the rears. I know it flies in the face of the recommendations about ‘best to the rear’ but I prefer the grip on the front.
That‘s a whole different conversation.

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An interesting article about things you may not know!
Yep, seen that one before.
There are so many variables that can influence tyre performance and choice but winter roads are more unpredictable and far less forgiving.
Even though I’m the guy who’s only spent a tenner on a tyre for my spare wheel, that’s in the knowledge that driving style will be adjusted accordingly. You get what you pay for.
There are plenty of folk who don’t bother with winter tyres but I’m happier to use a winter tyre in summer than I would a summer tyre in winter. Again, driving style is adjusted accordingly.
I’m always willing to bang the drum for winter tyres or all-seasons as a sensible alternative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts