Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--- took the mokka into Vauxhall Dealers today for its first M.O.T. which it passed and the fee was half price at £27.50 due to being a service club member --- that's the good news the bad news is that they disconnected my dash cam and it was only when I was driving home that I noticed the wire hanging down behind the interior mirror --- obviously they had not reconnected the wire, so stopped the car and put wire back ,---- what's the reason fo disconnecting my dash cam ? It was only in the workshop is this common practice and if so why ? -- has this happened to anyone else ? Would be interested to find out -- cheers Leo

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Leo , not happened to mine , unless they had reconnected it before I collected it but I can't see any reason for them to do that really ??

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah if they reconnected the wire you would never know -- I'm just trying to find out if this had happened to anyone else -- why disconnected the dash cam, the mind runs riot thinking why

·
Registered
406 Posts
Would you like to be filmed at work?
I think there’s some grounds to sue employers who film you working as it’s like a trust issue so you could leave and sue them for watching you rather than let you get on with the work.
If i did a job on your car and you asked to film me I’d tell you to go do one as if I’m not trusted to do a job right then where does it end.

I do slightly get what your saying, because I’d have noted it and would mention it before even working on the car

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was told to turn my dashcam off for my service, i suppose they don't want it putting
all over social networks, as to what they are doing or have equipment wise behind closed doors

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Dog-Book , I think the simple way would be for the dealership to ask the customer to imobilise his dash cam -- not to take it into their own hands to do it on their own accord being as the dash cam is not the dealers property -- it's a bit of a cheek they should ask first just not do it and in my case they were caught out by not reconnecting the wire so can only assume this happens all the time

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi Dog-Book , I think the simple way would be for the dealership to ask the customer to imobilise his dash cam -- not to take it into their own hands to do it on their own accord being as the dash cam is not the dealers property -- it's a bit of a cheek they should ask first just not do it and in my case they were caught out by not reconnecting the wire so can only assume this happens all the time

Yup to me, that's as if they want to hide something rather than point out they should be trusted or go elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
8,887 Posts
Other explanations are 'an obstruction in the “swept area” of the windscreen,' or recording working practices.
As most MOT Stations have an observation area I would think they regard it most sinister for anyone to leave a dash cam in situ!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Dealers have become aware of the number of dash cam video's on social media showing technicians who don't have a clue what they're doing, bodging, and test driving cars like idiots. They have no right to disconnect cameras but they do have the right to ask you to ensure it isn't operating when you take the car in, what they want to hide is anything they do that you would have preferred not to happen.

As far employment law goes MOT centres must have a viewing window for you to watch your car being tested if you want to, where it isn't practical some have CCTV for you watch from the waiting area, loads of people are watched by cameras for their entire working day, some working with cash, jewellery or computer parts face compulsory searches on arrival and leaving work, so I guess its down to whats in the contract of employment

·
Super Moderator
8,887 Posts
Just put "disconnect dash cam for mot" in Google Search and discover it's not an isolated case!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes had a look at the Google pages and all the would be legal experts are at it, one very interesting comment was from a Audi owner who had the same experience as me with the disconnected dash cam and in the end Audi declared that the dash cam should not have been disconnected without the owners permission

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I checked my dash cam footage and shows me entering Perry's dealership and the car parking up --- low and behold there is no more cam recordings until I reconnected the wire one hour and ten minutes later -- so the proof is my dash cam was disconnected on the car park and not when car was in workshop -- the technician who was doing the M.O.T was the culprit -- methinks a word in Perry's ear is in order because the guy must have been working under instruction

·
Super Moderator
8,887 Posts
The other side of the coin is, 'did you make the garage aware that your dash cam would be on and filming them?' I would not think many garages would agree to that hence the disconnection.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, popped into Perry's this afternoon and saw the workshop controller and asked very nicely what Perry's policy was on customer's cars having dash cams fitted --- official answer was that there is some legislation regarding dash cams a workers privacy which I can't remember what it was called -- Perry's also said that when you sign the form authorising work to be done the small print mentions the disconnection of dash cams -- so they do it all the time with every vehicle with a dash cam fitted -- I told them of my experience of the cam being disabled by the feed wire being removed and not being reconnected when the car was finished -- I told them that now I know that on my next visit I will disconnect my own dash cam thank you very much and added that the policy of disconnecting someone's dash cam without advising that they are going to do it and the correct/best way is to advice the customer verbally of there intentions with the dash cams and also ask if the customer would like to disconnect and reconnect their own cam and finally a notice saying what the dash cam policy placed in reception -- they took this inboard and would implement my suggestions

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to have to burst you guys' conspiracy theory to pieces, but, didn't you say your car was in for an mot ? Anything obstructing vision through the widescreen will be removed, this includes 'magic tree' air fresheners, otherwise, they'd have to fail your car, I don't know about you, but, I'd rather have the obstruction removed and pass the mot and refix it later, rather than insist on it being left in situ and have it fail !

Now I'm not a lawyer, but, I'm pretty sure there will also be privacy as well as copyright issues involved with leaving your camera on and should someone put this footage online without first giving 'the right to reply' to those in the footage, you could leave yourself open to a lawsuit !
Come on guys, you had a dashcam removed, refit it and get on with your lives, I'm sure you must have things happen in your lives that deserve this attention instead ?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
They didn't remove the camera, they just disconnected the power lead, so it wasn't to do with obscuring the windscreen, I don't think this is anything to do with "conspiracy" and privacy is a bit of a red herring used as an excuse by garages to prevent them being caught not carrying out the work they are being paid to do, a quick google will reveal plenty of cases of service work not being performed properly and cars being abused by technicians, IMO this is the number one reason they disconnect them.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, my camera is the stealth type with no screen that fits directly behind the mokka's interior mirror and it's about as big as my thumb and can't be seen from the driver's seat and I can play back the loop recordings over the app in my smart phone -- the camera only works on ignition live and does not 24hr record (my choice) so in my case it seems that no matter what type of camera you've got they will automatically be disconnected no matter what

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well this is an interesting thread.

My dash-cam would sometimes be left plugged in and on while in the dealership having work carried out under warranty, and other times it would be disconnected.

Once when it was left on they used my car to ferry staff and customers around, made phone calls (not using the BT system) while driving, damaged my car used it as a mobile disco and blew the speakers.
The dealership wasn't interested in my compliant so I took it to the M.D who's response was "We can do what we like with your car while it's in our care" Needless to say he had a few choice words said to him & I got banned from his dealership/s.

The best was when a member of staff phoned the boss to ask if the camera should be plugged in or not and he was told you never leave it plugged in in-case you do something wrong.

Yet the mechanic I use doesn't care if the dash cam is on and filming him doing his job and if was to unplug it in the workshop he would plug it back in for any road test in-case there was an accident.
& likewise our M.O.T place leaves the dash-cam plugged in and filming without any issues.

I myself as a retro-fitter of Vauxhall equipment have cars in which have Dash cams fitted, Dash cam's are left plugged in unless I need to reroute the cable or it's in my way but it's then plugged back in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts