Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE QASHQAI ENJOYS an enviable reputation as a solidly engineered and exceptionally talented SUV. It has become a much sought-after
car and its high sales volumes have turned a tidy penny for Nissan. This level of success hasn't gone unnoticed, and Vauxhall is the
latest manufacturer trying to crash the lucrative SUV street party with its all-new Mokka. Rugged 4x4 styling and elevated driving positions give both cars
immense showroom appeal and each car has a similarly powerful 1.6-litre petrol engine. Comfortable accommodation, refined driving manners and affordable running costs will be key to victory here.
What are they like to drive?
The engines in these two cars could have been separated at birth. Their internal dimensions are identical down to the last cubic centimetre, and the difference between their power outputs is neither here nor there. The performance of the two cars is near identical, too; while the lighter Mokka has slightly better in-gear flexibility at lower speeds, thiIn truth, both engines feel pretty flat low down, so they need to be revved hard before they deliver anything approaching meaningful performance. Equally, with no sixth gear to call upon, both engines rev hard on the motorway. This is all the more noticeable in he Mokka, because an incessant drone gets into the cabin. It's not just engine noise that blights the Mokka's cruising credentials, however. A fair amount of tyre and suspension noise also contributes to the general hubbub. As well as being a good deal quieter, the Qashqai is much more comfortable. Its suspension does a great job of soaking up road scars at low speeds and its calm ride quality at higher speeds is the equal of many cars costing twice the price. The penalty for this cushiness is a fair bit of body roll in bends and slightly lethargic steering reactions.The Mokka sits at the polar opposite end of the spectrum. It handles and changes direction with some panache, thanks to limited body roll, sharp steeringand strong grip. Unfortunately, the ride is very unforgiving. In truth, the Mokka is simply too firm for a car that is likely to spend more time on the school run than barrelling down country B-roads. The Mokka's high side windows and tiny rear screen mean all-round visibility is not particularly great, either. Certainly, it's a lot easier to see both ends of the Qashqai, making it an easier car to slot into tight parking spots. What are they like inside?The Mokka's centre console might be quite busy, with lots of buttons and dials, but chrome highlights and rich fixtures and fittings give the cabin a real lift. The Qashqai's cabin feels more functional, or plain dull, depending on your point of view. However, all the switchgear works with a solid action and the panels are fitted with real precision. Both cars have enough space up front to keep six-footers happy, but neither provides a vast Amount of rear space. The Mokka is particularly unwelcoming because it has a bit less rear legroom and very small rear windows that mean daylight is at a premium. The Mokka's cabin is also a fair bit narrower than the Qashqai's ""“ something to bear in mind if you regularly carry three passengers in the back. Open the tailgates and the Qashqai is an obvious winner. As well as being longer and wider, its boot is a good deal bigger. With the rear seats in place, it's far more adept at accommodating a fold-up baby buggy. Both cars come with plenty of kit, including alloy wheels, air-conditioning and Bluetooth connectivity. The Mokka has the edge, with satellite-navigation and a DAB radio as standard. It also gets a three-pin 230-volt socket ""“ useful for charging your laptop.Will they break the bank?
On the face of it, the Mokka's lower list price and insurance premiums look enticing, but dig a little deeper and it's actually the the face of it, the Mokka's lower list price and insurance premiums look enticing, but dig a little deeper and it's actually the qashqai that works out slightly cheaper to own over three years. For starters, the discounts available at dealers bring the prices more into line; it's possible to haggle £1450 off the Qashqai, compared with the £960 savingthat's available on the Mokka. You can also expect the Qashqai to be worth a healthy 46% of its original value after three years, whereas the Mokka is expected to retain only 41%. Officially, the Qashqai is the more frugal car, too, returning 45.6mpg compared with the Mokka's 43.5mpg. That's enough to put it two company car tax bands below the Mokka, because mpg is linked directly to CO2 emissions.However, there will still be very little difference in the cost of your contributions to the taxman. The Qashqai will cost you £104 per month if you're a 40% taxpayer; the Mokka just six pounds more Our verdictThe Mokka looks great inside and out and it is very well equipped,but unfortunately the looks aren't matched by the drive. Its engineis coarse and noisy, and the ride is too firm. The Qashqai is a good deal more refined, more comfortable and easier to live with.1. Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Visia
3***
For Comfort; refinement;
versatility; affordable
Against Body control;
dull interior
Verdict An excellent
all-round proposition

2.Vauxhall Mokka T'LINE 3***

For Stylish interior; well
equipped; good handling
Against Poor refinement;
overly firm ride
Verdict Falls short in too
many key areas

Sorry about layout, had to do alot of copy & paste , anyway not hard to see what his family car might be lol.. hementions about getting more discount on the nissan, but forgot to mention that the qashqai will change to a newer model sometime this year,so of course you will get a better deal.. also the resale value nissan 46% andMokka 41% estimated, well hello !!! a guess is as good as a fact hmmmmmmmmmmm!! Personally i'm very happy with my Mokka and have been very glad i picked it over the qashqai... my ratings.. looks Mokka, Drive Mokka, space Mokka, equipment Mokka, resale value? won't know never selling only trading for a new one,did i mention looks? Guess what my family car is????????

1.6 Visia
Edited by: Love Stallion

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks for this. Very interesting...not lol. My money goes on him being a Nissan employee!!!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
More time on the school run than barrelling down B roads? I made the right choice then as mine will be barrelling down A and B roads avoiding all those Qashqais on the school run...

·
Registered
713 Posts
I can't recall What Cargiving a favourablereview of a Vauxhall. I swear the magazine is sponsored by Ford and Volkswagen Edited by: Big Mac

·
Registered
7 Posts
My sentiments exactly Big Mac!! We love our Vauxhalls and we have shopped around looking for this to be our next car. I can honestly say the Mokka Techline beats everything around on price, interior, looks and of course it's a Vauxhall!!!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just a litle oversight by What Carbut no mention of the HUGE difference in warranty for the first ownerbetween Nissan & Vauxhall.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Those of you that complain about Vauxhall dealers should try Nissan dealers.
Our local that supplied 'er Nissan Note (used), when two year old she was 'warned' low brake pads, tyres down to 3mm.
Brake pad were half worn, their 3mm was in fact, 3.9mm on one of the fronts.

Then it went in for accident damage to air con radiator -
Them "We do a visual check at no charge to you, and have noticed that your oil is over filled, would you like us to correct it?"
Me - "You better had cos it was you that last serviced it!"

While waiting to purchase a rear wiper at service desk over heard the 'Buy our service plan shpiel' -
Them "And of course you are protected from our price rises every six months" dont know what car it was but he was talking over 30 quid a month!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
From reading the Nissan Qashqai forum a while back I seem to remember a lot of posts complaining about said service plans with them having to get Nissan customer services involved in most occasions.

I really don't think the Mokka suffers on rear leg room. I set both the Qashqai I had on test and the Farnborough Mokka up for me and sat in the back of each and the Mokka had tons of space.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Is the Mokka not inbetween the Juke and the Qashqai in size anyway?
If you wanted the QQ size then you'd probably be looking at the Zafira no?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The mokka cannot be compared to the qashqai or the yeti both are more mpv's,the mokka and the juke are clearly suv's more about design than practicality of the bigger two.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well having traded in my 1.5 cdti diesel QQ for the 1.7 cdti exclusive I can honestly state that the Mokka is the best! I do have the 4x4 version asI drive on some horrible country roads to work. The Mokka feels a lot safer, the noise is no different to that of the Qq. The MPG is better and due to the higher roof my 6 foot 3 dad's head does not touch the roof like it did in the QQ.
I went out at the weekend and very easily sat 3 adults in the back, all said it felt roomier than the QQ despite it being narrower..........due to the height difference.

The drive is more comfortable the front feels roomier and uphill it is a dream whereas the QQ used to struggle and I am sure many drivers stuck behind me used to be swearing as I chugged up the hill! No more, thanks to the Mokka uphill is a breeze.

So whoever wrote the comparison review needs to get in the real world and speak to people to have owned a QQ and traded in for the much better Mokka!
Edited by: Mokkamayhem

·
Registered
817 Posts
Mokkamayhem said:
Well having traded in my 1.5 cdti diesel QQ for the 1.7 cdti exclusive I can honestly state that the Mokka is the best! I do have the 4x4 version asI drive on some horrible country roads to work. The Mokka feels a lot safer, the noise is no different to that of the Qq. The MPG is better and due to the higher roof my 6 foot 3 dad's head does not touch the roof like it did in the QQ.
I went out at the weekend and very easily sat 3 adults in the back, all said it felt roomier than the QQ despite it being narrower..........due to the height difference.

The drive is more comfortable the front feels roomier and uphill it is a dream whereas the QQ used to struggle and I am sure many drivers stuck behind me used to be swearing as I chugged up the hill! No more, thanks to the Mokka uphill is a breeze.

So whoever wrote the comparison review needs to get in the real world and speak to people to have owned a QQ and traded in for the much better Mokka!
I'm one of those who traded in a 1.5 dci QQ. But i have nothing to compare it with.

Must admit it was a fantastic car but looking dated now In my opinion.

At 5 years old it was starting to have little niggles that meant it needed traded. Edited by: Ixasio

·
Registered
85 Posts
When you do get your Mokka to compare you will be very pleased. It will be worth it.......I only got mine early because my dealer rang round and managed to find me the same model only in a different colour. Very pleased he did because I much prefer the velvet red and there aren't any about!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts