Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the
manual these are the tyre sizes Vauxhall recommend. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

We all know
the implications of straying from these regards warranty.

·
All weather
215/55/R18 on a 18" x 7" Five spoke alloy standard on SE, Exclusiv
& Tech Line

·
All weather
205/70/R16 on a 16" x 6½" 5-hole steel wheel standard on S

·
All weather
125/70/R16 on a 16" x 4" Space Saver wheel standard on all models

·
Winter only a
195/70/R16 on a 16" x 6½" wheel can be used on all models

This shows the compatibility
of the standard 18""� & 16""� tyres.<br style="mso-special-character: line-break;">

This shows the incompatibility of the standard 18""� & 16""� Space saver tyres. Granted you must
drive no more than 50mph & for as short a distance as possible on the Space
saver.

This is the
only size that Vauxhall say you should use as a winter tyre.

of the standard 18""� & the winter16""� tyre.

So the winter tyre
is 2.1% out compared to 0% out with the all weather 205/70/R16. So this begs
the question. Why must you use a size that isn't as good a ""fit""� as some other
16""� tyres?

The only winter
tyre in the 195/70/R16 size that I could find is the Conti Cross
Contact winter tyre made by Continental who coincidentally make the all weather
tyres fitted as standard to all Mokkas.

So is this a contractual thing
to try to keep us buying the same brand? Do Vauxhall have a vested interest in
making us choose Continental over other brands? Or am I just being paranoid?
One last question. What happens if you go your own way & put a 16""� or 17""�
wheel & winter tyre combo on that has a 0% error in the compatability
ratings ?

Edited by: Flat Eric

·
Registered
600 Posts
Interesting thoughts . There is obviously a Germanic connection between Continental and Opel , but it could well be that the tyre contract was put out to bid . Looks like one of those searching questions for the deal to pretend he understands , or for VCS to tell us that thiss tyre size is rare at present but the popularity of the Mokka should ensure other manufacturers follow suit .

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did mention it in passing on my handover & was told that they use several otherbrands of tyres amongsttheir other models. I am sure thatthere are some "rewards" to be had thoughwhen making choices regards whichsupplier topromote.
It depends if they want to play hard ball & rigourously enforce the 195/70/R16tyre as the only sizefor winter tyre use. I am sure some other sizes will make their way under Mokka wheel arches.

·
Registered
600 Posts
At least there is a choice for summer tyres ! On the plus side, they are at least reasonably priced at £113 from F1 Autocentres.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I must confess I thought the Exclusiv had 17 on them, I think I was confused by the different alloy. Daft question - does the fact it's a winter tyre add anything to its overall stated width?

And yes people will put what they want on them, have you seen the Opel with 20 on it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Excuse me if this is a stupid question!

What's wrong with fitting a winter tyre that is the same size as the 'normal' tyre?

www.mytyres.co.uk seem to have both summer and winter tyres from a wide range of manufacturers that are the correct size. I've never used them but the company I have ( www.tyre-shopper.co.uk ) don't seem to stock as wide a range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The extract from the manual doesn't appear to me to be saying you must use these tyres. It seems to me it is saying this size is for winter tyres only.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
StuartUK said:
The extract from the manual doesn't appear to me to be saying you must use these tyres. It seems to me it is saying this size is for winter tyres only.
I did wonder that myself which is the main reason for opening this thread up for debate. I found the way it is written is ambiguous. You can take it whichever way you read it. Which is why I pointed it outto my service desk & asked the question.His reply was that as far as he was awareONLY that sizeis recommended by Vauxhall foruseas a winter tyre. Muttering about load on drive train & differentials.

This then begs the question whycould you not use a 195/70/R16 tyre for all year round?

I must admit my faith in dealer productknowledge is not great so I am not convinced.

Edited by: Flat Eric

·
Registered
600 Posts
I assume that you need more shoulder on the tyre for digging in for grip , but I would assume that the only reason you would not use that profile in summer is purely down to efficiency , additional weight of rubber perhaps , worse aerodynamics . Otherwise no reason you could not use such a tyre .

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DietCokeBloke said:
I must confess I thought the Exclusiv had 17 on them, I think I was confused by the different alloy. Daft question - does the fact it's a winter tyre add anything to its overall stated width?

And yes people will put what they want on them, have you seen the Opel with 20 on it?
Yes it's just a different paint jobon the samewheels for the SE & the Exclusiv.

I think the tyrewidth shouldbe the same whether it's on anall year round or winter tyre. It's the rubber compound that is the main difference & the tread pattern can be a bit more aggressive.

Those 20"s look the business but I don't think they will improve the handling or the ride quality.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Number Six said:
I assume that you need more shoulder on the tyre for digging in for grip , but I would assume that the only reason you would not use that profile in summer is purely down to efficiency , additional weight of rubber perhaps , worse aerodynamics . Otherwise no reason you could not use such a tyre .
195 is quite narrow although not as narrow as the bicycle tyre space saver 125 is. I know the rally cars fit narrower tyres to cut in on ice & snow rally stages. Not saying our Mokkas are rally cars but the principle is the same.

It just seems strange they single out only one size of 195tyre that must only be used in winter. What about other 195 tyres likea 195/??/17? Perhaps they would be ok.

You are right about the additional weight ofrubber. A 16" wheel has a huge amount of rubber sidewall over an 18" wheel.

·
Registered
600 Posts
So what's the verdict ? A spare set of the recommended winter tyres on steel wheels ? Might get a deal for less than £600 for a set .

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The 20s look cool up until you realise that there's only a few mm of rubber standing between you and something from the flintstones.
If the S has those 16 I can't see why you couldn't have them in winter tyres.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DietCokeBloke said:
The 20s look cool up until you realise that there's only a few mm of rubber standing between you and something from the flintstones.
If the S has those 16 I can't see why you couldn't have them in winter tyres.
I have seen thicker rubber bands. As a child I used to make tanks out of cotton reels, rubber bands & pencils. A rubber band round the raised lip ateach end of the cotton reel made them climb over obstacles100% better.

As the 205/70/16 from the Sgives a 0% error they are a perfect match on paper. Just need to covert that across onto ice & snow.

·
Registered
633 Posts
of the standard 18""� & 16""� tyres.
Flat Eric said:
According to the
manual these are the tyre sizes Vauxhall recommend.

We all know
the implications of straying from these regards warranty.

·

All weather
215/55/R18 on a 18" x 7" Five spoke alloy standard on SE, Exclusiv
& Tech Line

·

All weather
205/70/R16 on a 16" x 6½" 5-hole steel wheel standard on S

·

All weather
125/70/R16 on a 16" x 6½" Space Saver wheel standard on all models

·
Winter only a
195/70/R16 on a 16" x 6½" wheel can be used on all models
I thought the space saver was a 4" wheel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I get my Mokka I will definenatly be going for Winter tyres as I was considering using 17" wheels with 215 x 60 x17" with Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme tyres. using these the car would be going 0.55% less than the indicated speed.
I am not sure how the dealer would never know that you had fitted them if you never take it in to the with them fitted, or if not we have two Vauxhall dealers with service centers within a mile of each other.

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/17_Inch_Team_Dynamics_Cyclone_Silver_Alloy_Wheels_with_215_60_17_HR_Vredestein_Wintrac_4_Xtreme_Winter_Tyres__P1810_4148
<h2 style="margin-bottom:10px">
</h2>

·
Registered
147 Posts
So the MY14 spec Mokka offers 19" Alloys as an option, what the heck tyre size will that have?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts