Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Mokka a month ago and have a couple of times by mistake been driving around (once on a very uneven farm road) with Traction Control OFF..I motored down same farm road with Traction Control ON and thedrive experience didnt feel any different.
Can anyone please tell me whether Traction should be ON all the time and if not then when should it be initiated..
Also wondered if using Traction Control uses more fuel..

Thanks

1.4T AWD 4*4 Exclusiv Boracay Blue

·
Registered
767 Posts
Leave the system on. It's never a planned event losing traction. When you do you will be too busy trying to keep out of the hedge/ditch etcto mess around trying to turn the system back on.
Traction control works similar to anti lock brakes but instead of when braking it kicks in on acceleration & cornering. The computer monitors wheel speed on all 4 wheels. When it senses one wheel turning faster than another it will pulse the brake on that wheel only until the wheel speed is the same as the other 3.
As you probably know you can't turn the AWD offbut as it's anintelligent system it automatically distributes drive between front & rear for optimum traction & that might be why you didn't notice any difference along the track with the TC on or off as the AWD was doing all the work anyway.

Edited by: Flat Eric

·
Registered
9 Posts
So when would you turn it off? I know they turn it off on Top Gear etc. when making cars slide round bends, but I'm not planning doing that. When I picked the car up I was toldit mighthelp to turbn it off if the car gets stuck in snow or mud (I think thats what he said anyway).

·
Registered
600 Posts
Keep the TC on unless you are stuck in snow . The reason being is that by sensing a lack of traction on one wheel , it will be then braked , and the remaining power is channel to those none braked wheels , so as you try to extricate yourself , you will end up with more whee lspin and make the problem worse , or at least that is how I understand it . You need less revolutions and more torque .

·
Registered
767 Posts
cc. said:
So when would you turn it off? I know they turn it off on Top Gear etc. when making cars slide round bends, but I'm not planning doing that. When I picked the car up I was toldit mighthelp to turn it off if the car gets stuck in snow or mud (I think thats what he said anyway).
In nearly all driving conditions it's betterto keepTC &ESCactive as they are much more capable of maintaining traction (and keeping you on the road) than the average driver is. Sometimes thougha reduction in power can hinder progress, for example when stuck in deep snow, and only then should these systems be temporarily switched off. If you have tried pulling away unsuccessfully with TC on""“ try turningit off and having another go. If successful remember to turn it back on when safely underway again.If this doesn't work you'll need to consider your options. As in get your snow shovel out.

As an aside I would recommend everyone that can to take a Skid Pan driving lesson. Idid one followed by a refresher courseat the Police Driving School in Chelmsford & I found it to be of enormous benefit for everyday driving safety & awareness.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Heh that's how I got my Tigra off My great Aunts drive during the blizzard of several Christmases back. Shovelled a bit, bit of carpet under the tyres, got going then stuck, ran back for the carpet, rinse and repeat several times. Once I got past the rest of the journey back from co. durham was uneventful apart from it taking three times longer. Fun times!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Another tip, if you think there is the likelihood of you getting stuck again, is to tie the bit of carpet to a length of stout string/rope so when you drive over it you can keep going to a clearer bit of road beforestopping to retrieve it. Nothing worse than stopping & immediately being stuck again.

·
Registered
584 Posts
How many folk carry a length of carpet in the boot!

·
Registered
584 Posts
What colour then and what length do you recommend?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Spireite said:
jcol said:
How many folk carry a length of carpet in the boot!
Guess you were neverinthe scouts?
"Be Prepared"
The same kind of people that will put a snow shovel in the boot?
Hell yeah.

Red thing is sand/snow/mud base plate for high lift jack/winch & foldingsnow shovel lives in it's little black bag.

Snow plow under the front helps as well.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I recommend sissal or hemp in a natural finish , about as much as you can comfortably carry .

·
Registered
584 Posts
Is this domestic or commercial grade carpet and is underlay reccomended?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Commercial is preferred ( assuming you are VAT registered ) , underlay optional , but should be Dunlopillo.

·
Registered
584 Posts
What about grippers, surely they areneeded?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Grippers are essential for this procedure . Secure an appropriate length to the sole of the left shoe , then repeat the procedure for the right shoe . After extraction of vehicle , remember to remove gripper, or for those that love in areas of frequent snow fall , it may be advisable to have a permanent set of footwear equipped thus .

·
Registered
584 Posts
I live and learn, i need a bigger boot!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts