Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

Towing Weight

43K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  Dog_Book 
#1 ·
From memory the owners manual we had a copy of did not have accurate towing weights in it?
On that note anyone know the max towing weight for a braked trailer on a 1.7 manual 4x4?

Seems our tow car may be disapeering (long story) so it'll be on the mokka to move the caravan when it goes (probably).

Sorry if this has been covered, head really is not with it.

#27 ·
I find the Mokka an excellent towcar. My van max weight is also 1200kg and the cars limit does restrict your choice of vans. You may have a van with a max weight of 1295kg but hopefully your are under that anyway. Trouble is if you go over and are stopped by the police and they check the weight on a weigh bridge you could be prosecuted. It does after all have the 1200kg towing weight on the V5. Can always put that extra weight in the car. Then again how often do caravans get pulled over in this way? Edited by: Big Mac

#28 ·
It's good knowing the rules/regulations as it often keeps us on the right side of the law.

#29 ·
Big Mac said:
I find the Mokka an excellent towcar. My van max weight is also 1200kg and the cars limit does restrict your choice of vans. You may have a van with a max weight of 1295kg but hopefully your are under that anyway. Trouble is if you go over and are stopped by the police and they check the weight on a weigh bridge you could be prosecuted. It does after all have the 1200kg towing weight on the V5. Can always put that extra weight in the car. Then again how often do caravans get pulled over in this way?

Unless you're speeding or in the 3rd lane with a trailer you have little chance of being stopped. using your mobile, tailgating, hogging the middle lane and now the latest trend of sitting in the 3rd lane of a 4 lane motorway not a problem.

#30 ·
Yes I agree Big Mac, I did take quite a few bits out like and loaded the boot more than usual I also had the bathroom scales out to check the nose weight of my van and was staggered to see with just about everything out, awning, ground sheet etc, it weighed about 110 kgs on its nose, so I checked front locker and took a few bits out there, so there was gas bottle, spare wheel and a few accessories, I got it down to 90kg. Put the awing and everything back in just past the axle, 78 kgs. Surprising how much weight is on the van itself!. I normally take bikes as well in van but I will stop doing that! So hopefully like you said, it ain't loaded to its max and I am within the law, i really ought to take it to a public weigh ridge and find out. I have gotta own up as well, I do have a tuning box in engine bay and my mokka runs at around 160 bhp. It does make all the difference pulling my van, averaged around 39 mpg.

#31 ·
Interesting on the tuning box. I contemplated it as on a previous Astra it was awesome. However current insurance won't allow it and was concerned about losing my lifetime warranty if Vauxhall could trace it after removal

#33 ·
As a matter of interest which tuning box did you go for? So many choices. Last time I had the green box from dtuk on my Astra 1.9cdti and people with the same engine and box were getting nearly 200 bhp on a rolling road Edited by: Big Mac

#34 ·
Big Mac said:
Interesting on the tuning box. I contemplated it as on a previous Astra it was awesome. However current insurance won't allow it and was concerned about losing my lifetime warranty if Vauxhall could trace it after removal

Where that is concerned it's better to err on the side of caution, regardless of whether it can/cannot be traced.

#35 ·
Mine is the red dtuk box, I had quite a long conversation with them before buying and they assured me that it was not traceable once removed on today's dealers laptops. I needed the extra umph for towing my van, so I decided to give it a go. Power difference is out of this world, car is much more responsive and a lot less turbo lag. Loads of bottom end torque now. So ideal for towing. I ain't been to dealers yet, so we will see when I take it. My friend has a vectra tho, with a green box on, and he never gets no bother from dealers through it. He even left it on once, forgot to take it off. And they still never said anything!

#36 ·
Also, if you are wanting to get your car remapped. I spoke to mr Thorne, of thorney Motorsport. His was an Ecu remap, and it was the only one I found to claim it would not void your warranty. There is even a few Vauxhall dealers dotted around the country that do the remap on behalf of thorney. For me, the nearest was either a dealer in Bridlington, or one over in Lancashire somewhere, to far from where I live! It was expensive tho, around 500 mark.

#37 ·
Skunktank said:
Also, if you are wanting to get your car remapped. I spoke to mr Thorne, of thorney Motorsport. His was an Ecu remap, and it was the only one I found to claim it would not void your warranty. There is even a few Vauxhall dealers dotted around the country that do the remap on behalf of thorney. For me, the nearest was either a dealer in Bridlington, or one over in Lancashire somewhere, to far from where I live! It was expensive tho, around 500 mark.

It will most certainly void your insurance though.

#41 ·
Hello I’ve just bought a mokka 1.6cdti diesel 15reg, After looking several times and being quite paranoid about it does anyone think this would pull a caravan weighing 1300kg, I’ve never seen a mokka tow a caravan before, any feed back would be greatful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.