Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just T/Drove S.E. F.W.D.17. Diesel....Now I am biased as I really like the Mokka shape both Int/ Ext. however you can really hear the diesel engine ....
I have an astravan that's not as noise intrusive . I also have the new Astra turbo so the dash layout in the Mokka is nice and familiar.
On our crappy roads I could feel the Mokka going onto potholes but the seats and suspension are so good the vibes never once went through my body like the Astra does. I'm aware it's a differnt set up. Really surprised how good the front windscreen view is, as reviews have said about the A pillar being obtrusive ... IMO not so.
The steering at low speed was lighter than anticipated , another plus for me .
Rear mirror view small but adequate, for me I'd go for rear sensors as the rear window is quite high.
I'm probably going to go for the petrol 4 wd as its quite hilly in my locality, will come in handy .
All in all very impressed
Hope this is of use !!!,!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just for clarity, when you say "FWD" is that FRONT wheel drive or FOUR wheel drive
I assume the latter since you say you may opt for the 1.4 turbo 4x4. In your opinion is the 1.7 diesel noise enough to put you off buying that particular engine - assuming cost is not a factor

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Col, cheers for the brief but honest view of the Mokka sounds like you enjoyed your test drive. Now I must admit I already own a diesel Zafira sri and had a diesel Zafira elegance before that, both good runners so I thought buying a diesel Mokka seemed like the obvious choice for me.
Reviews on the diesel Mokka have been a bit of a mixed bag, but i'm gonna go with it as I believe it is the best choice, economically for me and my family.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys Andy got Abbr correct and no, the noise on a Tdi wouldn't put me off. The sales rep told me if we do lots of short journeys ( which we do ) a filter on the Tdi needs a bit of a run , ie half an hour , to clear it. If it gets " blocked " a warning light appears . You have to take it in the dealers and adjust the computer . And it's not cheap , around £ 150 . Sounded like he knew his beans !!!
Bearing in mind the ever increasing price in diesel per litre compared to petrol, its the main factor for us going for the latter
Didn't mean to confuse ..... Still pretty new to forums!!!
Cheers

·
Registered
506 Posts
That would be the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). The accumulation of muck (note the technical term!) that gathers while the filter is busy cleaning up the exhaust needs to be periodically burned off. This is done (automatically) by the ECU which makes the exhaust gases hotter for a short period so this can be burned off. Most drivers won't notice this as it will likely occur during normal driving. If not, ie the warning light comes on, then a quick thrash for about 20-30 minutes at 3000 rpm will likely do the trick. I had to do this once on my Qashqai in the 2 years I owned it, and never in my ALTEA Freetrack, also owned for 2 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Food for thought theforestdweller....... So maybe the salesman was a bit over cautious on his explanation ?
Cheers.....

·
Registered
197 Posts
My Dads Zafira 1.8Ldoes the same engine and exhaust clean. You can hear a slight change of tone on the engine revs while travelling but he has never had to take the vehicle in for any work.
The price of all fuels are going up which is why ive opted for diesel even though i only do a 10mile round rtip to work. Because the economy on any longer journeys will always be much better than the petrol too.

I did notice the that there were cabnoises that i could hear from the diesel but my petrol 1.4L Panda 100HPis much louder through the whole engine, gears and revs. Its now one of the top 3 reasons im buying a new car!

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Col said:
Food for thought theforestdweller....... So maybe the salesman was a bit over cautious on his explanation ?
Cheers.....

It totally depends on your driving. If you only do stop start around town and never take it out for a run you might have issues with the filter blocking. If you take it out on a half hour+ drive at 70mph every month or so then you should be fine.

The additional costs of diesels mean most town only drivers are probably better off with petrol even though you might get a few less MPG.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Not a lot of choice if you want an automatic.
There's always Wynn's (and others) Diesel particulate filter cleaner (DPF) that you can use every third tank-full, which for me will be every three months. Allegedly =
<ul>[*]Clears and regenerates blocked soot filters without dismantling[*]Complete burn-off of soot particles during driving[*]Avoids frequent maintenance costs related to the manual regeneration of the blocked soot filter[*]Optimises combustion and lowers fuel consumption[*]Especially suited for city driving cycles[/list]But a chance for a quick gallop up the M11 and a fry up in Suffolk once a month sounds like a good idea. 37 days to go...........
Not that I'm counting.

<h1 ="title">
</h1>

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I hate diesel with a passion - it's horrible stuff that doesn't have a nice smell, you have to use the disposable gloves at the petrol stations, it's noisy and I just like the performance of petrol so much better.
..... yet I've gone for a diesel.
Why? Well the simple fact it costs less on the company car leasing schemeand the diesel falls into the higher fuel rate for diesel (we get more back per mile for 1.7 diesels and above) while the 1.4T petrol falls into the lower rate for petrol (1.4 and lower is the lower rate for petrol) which means I have a better chance of gettingthe money I pay for fuel back. If I was buying one for myself it'd be the 1.4T all the way.

·
Registered
313 Posts
For the petrol v diesel arguement
I went from a 1.7cdti corsa c with 125 bhp (with tuning box)
to a 238bhp astra coupe 888 2.0 turbo petrol lol
Now im getting a diesel again LOL, you cannot beat the out n out fun and performance of a petrol, but diesels can still provide enough fun (especially when driven correctly) and also give you lots of MPG when being sensible :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It's all the soup stirring with the gearbox that gets to me. People always go on about more torque but more often than not they're useless at power initially. It's probably because I take liberties with the gears but I find I stall diesels a lot, luckily the stop start system means all I have to do now is hit the clutch to restart the tractor engine.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's the torque that has converted me to diesels. On my iX35, the turbo comes in at 1250rpm and provides bags of power/torque right through to 3000rpm. I detest high revving engines screaming away to (often) little effect. Give me the low rev grunt of a diesel any day

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
It took me a while to get used to it I must admit, its amazing how often I would leave a petrol in second when approaching a junction (you know when you don't quite stop) but there is no way I could do that in a diesel. But once your moving and in gear the pull you get is great. Took me a while I would say to change my driving habits.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been driving auto diesels for 8 years now, and can beat most cars from lights etc, you just have to know your car, especially satisfying as I'm female as well :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Nice one Dawdy, does that make you a girl racer?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Heh I pulled away from lights way back when in fourth in my old petrol powered Nova - that was fun. I guess diesels are really the reason why automatics exist. No more contestant worry you're not in the right gear. I'll have the petrol Tigra an the oil burning 4wd Mokka. First two mins after switching from one to the other should be interesting, over rev petrol and stall the diesel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts