Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully picking my Mokka up next week which will be diesel.

I've heard many people say dont buy diesel from supermarket garages but was wondering if you guys have any thoughts? I've been using Morrisons petrol for 5 years without a problem but the stories do seem to be diesel related.

My dad has been running a diesel for about a year and uses Morrisons and hasnt had any issues. Whereas my father in law has stopped using Morissons diesel as he said it was causing his car to feel sluggish. He uses Esso now and no sluggish car.

Any thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
600 Posts
There is no exact science to this . However, subjectively , have always felt that Morrison's fuel was somehow not as agreeable as other supermarket fuel . What we tend to do is use a branded fuel for a couple of tanks , then supermarket for the next 4-6 to take advantage of the additives in the fuel . The problem is that supermarkets stockpile fuel at a perceived market low price , thus they may well be sitting around for ages so having the potential for a few more nasties and some degradation . Of course if the fuel price is similar , then a branded fuel every time !!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Up here, B P esso etc can be as much as 5to 8 p per ltr more than supermarket pricesTo be quite honest I have never noticed the difference and feel ripped off the oddoccassion I am
forced to use branded fuel.
I thought it came from the same refinery anyway (Grangemouth) as during the refinery strikes, on the news, supermarket tankers were qued beside branded tankers in the same line.
Unless driving a high performance car Is there any differance?

Edited by: Hamish

·
Registered
38 Posts
For 15 years I've done 40-50,000 miles a year for work with a variety of diesel cars. I almost always fill up at Tesco (double points on that much fuel pays for our holiday every year) I've never put a drop of additive in and I can honestly say I have never had an issue of any sort.

I also have owned some pretty lively weekend cars and currently own a 600bhp Skyline and all of have been run on whatever fuel I'm closest too, normally Tesco all without issue.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Number six,

I worked for a large supermarket and they had many PFS, the comments you make about storage do not happen with them how do you know this comment is correct?

·
Registered
600 Posts
It was something that I gleaned from Honest John , and it was not in anyway suggesting that stockpiling occurs all of the time , but has been known to happen . Perhaps the original source was mistaken . I know that he all recommends is a branded fuel !! As a general topic of debate , it may never be fully conclusive !

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have always run my cars from supermarket fuel for many many years without a problem and often 24p a gallon cheaper

·
Registered
182 Posts
May I also add I am getting a very good milage from my "inferior"Supermarket fuel Just under 55 mpgaverage. (mostly motorway)

I buy whichever is cheapest (its the Scot in me) from whatever supermarket has the best deal.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Call me thick if you wish jcol< but what does your accranim PFS stand for

·
Registered
182 Posts
ok my insanityhas passed, Petrol Filling Stations

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was chatting to a mate of mine who works in the fuelindustry.

Fuels have ashelf lifewhere it's burn quality reducesovertime. He told me that some supermarkets will buy fuel that is nearly at it's shelf Life limit so they get it cheaper and they know they can shift it in good time because of the price it's at, hence why people seem to say they feel a difference in performance between supermarket and Shell,BPetc.

Whether this istrueor not Idon'tknow but it makes sense to me.

I mainly use shell but throw supermarket stuff in now and again.

·
Registered
264 Posts
we have drivers in work who used to be tanker drivers i did ask this question once and the reply was. All fuel weather it be shell bp tesco morrisons and so on all come from which ever the tanker is nearest to a refill refinery.The only ones that are done at there own refinery is tesco 99, shell V power and BP ultimate ie all your high rons fuel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Watch the fuel tanks and Tilbury or Immingham and you will see several different companies filling up their tankers from the same outlets so I reckon it is all the same stuff.

·
Registered
264 Posts
J1234 said:
Watch the fuel tanks and Tilbury or Immingham and you will see several different companies filling up their tankers from the same outlets so I reckon it is all the same stuff.

It is same as manchester terminal they all go in their.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hamish,,

PFS is petrol filling station

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hamish said:
ok my  insanity has passed, Petrol Filling Stations
Mine hadn't so thanks as dufus me didn't know!!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
My only comment on this, as I don't have enough pop corn, all teas are not the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
J1234 said:

My work has got a site next to a large fuel depot and I'd agree, you seem to see a whole manner of tankers filling up there.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Let the debate recommence.

All fuels come from thesame refinery (s) and are
essentially the same, the difference is in the additives. At Buncefield in Hemel Hempstead (scene of the
recent fire), petrol is received by pipeline from BP, Total/Fina and Shell
refineries. Each type of fuel is kept in the separate brands tanks at the
terminal, they don't have special tanks for fuel destined for supermarkets.

The tankers are filled from the appropriate tanks regardless of their
destination but the additives are added before the tanker leaves the depot. All
fuels have additives included ""¦ the difference is that the branded petrol has
additives that enhance the performance and the supermarket petrol has additives
to make it cheaper. Mineral oil is often added to diesel fuel for example.
There is a maximum level of contamination of mineral oil permitted and the
supermarkets regard this as a standard and not a maximum.

If you think that supermarket petrol is the same as from your branded fuel
supplier, remember the damage to people's cars caused by using Tesco and
Morrisons petrol not so long ago? The reason for this was that it was made
using reclaimed/scrap toluene solvent which had been used to wash PCBs in
electronics factories. No reputable oil companies were involved in that scandal
as I'm sure none of them would use a cut price additive such as this.

So, as ever, you pay your money & you make your choice.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />I stand by good quality petrol/diesel/oil is cheap whereas
engines aren't. Whether that matters with a lifetime warranty is another debate.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts