Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it seems my Stop / Start has decided not work. Checked the manual, Eco button is on, doors are shut, etc except when i pull up and pop it into neutral and take my foot off the clutch... nothing, it just sits there ticking over at 750revs.
It's been working perfectly up till today, so, any suggestions?

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are a number of reasons why the stop /start might temporarily not work. For example if you've got a heavy load on the battery and it's not charging. It also won't work if you haven't moved since the last time you used it. You'll probably find it's OK the next time you try it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Stop start checks lots of things before it actually stops the engine like battery charge, brake pressure in the reservoir etc. It does not always stop on mine but from experience with other cars including Vauxhalls and BMWs this is normal.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My S/S has worked flawlessly over the past 7 days of ownership.Not once has it failed, even witha lot of electrical demand on the battery. I am amazed, as our other car a Fiat 500 twinair is crap. We have owned it, since new, for some 10 months and it reallyis s..te. My Mokka has stopped and started my car more times over the past week than my 500 has in 10 months!Anyway, despite me having real issues with how Evans Halshaw were so poor at preparing my car, I mustsay the diesel engine is a peach and the S/S works as it should.
Sorry, looks like my post may not be too helpful other than highlighting that there may be an issue that needs further investigation.
Not sure if you have 'googled' the issue. This is an Antara post re: the issue.
http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/index.php?threads/antara-2012-stop-start.326767/

·
Registered
313 Posts
Our antara the stop start wont kick in if the blowers are on at all, which is peculiar, but if you've had either screens set to demist on the mokka may be an issue?

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's complicated. From the manual - Conditions for an Autostop

The stop-start system checks if each of the following
conditions is fulfilled.

<ul>[*]The stop-start system is not manually deactivated[*]the bonnet is fully closed[*]the driver's door is closed or the driver's seat belt is
fastened[*]the battery is sufficiently charged and in good condition[*]the engine is warmed up[*]the engine coolant temperature is not too high[*]the engine exhaust temperature is not too high, e.g. after
driving with high engine load[*]the ambient temperature is not too low[*]the climate control system allows an Autostop[*]the brake vacuum is sufficient[*]the self-cleaning function of the diesel particle filter is not
active[*]the vehicle has moved since the last Autostop[/list]

Otherwise an Autostop will be inhibited.

Ambient temperature near to the freezing point can inhibit an
Autostop.

Certain settings of the climate control system may inhibit an
Autostop. See climate control chapter for more details.

Immediately after motorway driving an Autostop may be
inhibited.

Battery
discharge protection

To ensure reliable engine restarts, several battery discharge
protection features are implemented as part of the stop-start system.

Power
saving measures

During an Autostop, several electrical features such as
auxiliary electric heater or rear window heating are disabled or switched into
a power saving mode. The fan speed of the climate control system is reduced to save
power.

New
vehicle running-in

Do not brake unnecessarily hard for the first few journeys.

During the first drive, smoke may occur because of wax and oil evaporating
off the exhaust system.

Park the vehicle in the open for a while after the first drive
and avoid inhaling the fumes.

During the running-in period fuel and engine oil consumption
may be higher and the cleaning process of the diesel particle filter may take place
more often. Autostop may be inhibited to allow for charging the battery.

Edited by: david1807

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
One of my colleagues and my manager were talking about the extra strain start/stop puts on the starter motor and thought it would wear out the starter motor a lot earlier.... thoughts?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Might have been relevant on a 1960s mini with a removable bendix (a what) but not these day with pre engaged starters.
Those blokes must be even older than me!
Anyway, while you have it its on a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I remember the sticking bendix days and hitting the starter motor with the shaft of a hammer to loosen it to get the motor started.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Baconsarni said:
I remember the sticking bendix days and hitting the starter motor with the shaft of a hammer to loosen it to get the motor started.
What about pressing the rubber button on the starter solenoid when it was sticking?

Or shorting a spanner across the two bare terminals when all else had failed?

That was my first attempt at welding.

·
Registered
506 Posts
... or rocking the car backwards and forwards in gear to try and free it off when hitting it with whatever heavy object was to hand failed

·
Registered
767 Posts
theforestdweller said:
... or rocking the car backwards and forwards in gear to try and free it off when hitting it with whatever heavy object was to hand failed
Remember that well. If you were very lucky there was a little square stub sticking out you could get an adjustable spanner on. If you could reach it. They were always way down the side where you couldn't get to them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've owned the 1.7 SS for two weeks and the stop start has not worked since the day I collected it. On collection it worked from the off having not driven it at all. Since i've got it home it's not worked a single time. The ECO button is on, the engine is warm but nothing. I've seen the list of conditions for the stop start to work but seriously - two weeks!
I fit doesn't work soon i'll take it back to the dealership for a once over. Any ideas?

·
Registered
208 Posts
OK I have figured it all out for you all...

For the start/stop to work flawless you must have everything on auto... auto lights - auto wipers - auto climate... then your start/stop will work nearly every time. I tried this and it did then I hit the manual heat button and the car started.. when I drove again and stopped the car stayed running but I hit the auto on climate and hey presto the cars start/stop kicked in...

So auto everything peeps...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just some more feedback for you all..

It definatly needs everything on Auto to have the Start & Stop to work flawless, I have tried everything in the car and once anything is set manually the Start/Stop does not work very well infact to be honest it fails badly..

Craig

1 - 20 of 76 Posts