Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Just bought a 2014 Mokka 1.7cdti, in the last couple of days I have noticed that when I am turning left there is a knocking noise that sounds like it is coming from under the steering wheel towards the pedal area. Also the steering wheel will not return to centre when coming out of a turn, this happens more when I turn left than right, but does happen both ways, I have scoured the Internet but can not find any info on this, all I can find is about power steering failures, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dan.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all.

Just bought a 2014 Mokka 1.7cdti, in the last couple of days I have noticed that when I am turning left there is a knocking noise that sounds like it is coming from under the steering wheel towards the pedal area. Also the steering wheel will not return to centre when coming out of a turn, this happens more when I turn left than right, but does happen both ways, I have scoured the Internet but can not find any info on this, all I can find is about power steering failures, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Dan.
I would check your steering column, it maybe slightly bent due to previous accident damage, garage won't tell you unless you ask, could be steering motor failure, just give a thorough check,, loose bolts, etc

·
Registered
41 Posts
May be tracking set wrong
Can't see that myself, they usually skipping down road, like a kid with a rope, years ago, I had a rover 1.6 before I bought it, I had two new tyres on front, got in drove down road, it was like trying to ride a bull at a rodeo, tyre fitter said tyres have got to wear in first mate, took it to another garage, guy said how the ##@##%,did you drive this, you are very lucky, your tracking is wayway, off line, SORTED, CAR DROVE LIKE A DREAM. just thought I would throw that in, in case some other,backstreet, wannabee trys to pull off the same stunt with someone else, we live and learn.!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
It’s the caster angle in the steering geometry that gives you self-centring steering. I don’t think it’s adjustable on the Mokka, it’s set during the factory build.

If your car has been in an accident and had damage done to the front suspension it’s a possibility this, and other steering geometry angles, have been knocked out of alignment; only way to tell is by a full steering geometry check.

It’s also possible to get a steering rack damaged by impact at the wheel/hub area which leaves it with high spots and could cause the same.

·
Administrator
10,547 Posts
It would have been helpful if Dan5382 had updated us on his thread which is now two months old?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts