Votes: 0 0.0%
  • more than 5!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is everyone right to be concerned about a lack of spare wheel?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think it all depends on your motoring background, most of my life I have had a spare wheel, when alloy came in it was a steel wheel but full size, then we went to aspacesaver wheel and now a pump and aerosol. From my point of view it goes against the grain to have the latter, whilst the aerosol is ECO friedly it's not going to work with a tyre with wall damage. Then your going to be stuck unless you have relay/recover or it happens in the day time when a new tyre can be obtained.
My car was a stock model and I was not able to make a choice between the spacesaver and kit, the car came with a kit but I ordered a spacesaver for the reasons explained. Anyone want a spare kit! Theres lots about it on the forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spare wheel for me
The garage I have ordered from have included Tyre/Alloy cover for a year but your stuck at the side of the road if the tyre is badly damaged

·
Registered
584 Posts
go for the spacesaver tyre and kit, for peace and mind

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have now ordered a space saver and will be installing a false floor that will be easy to remove for it to slide under.

·
Registered
584 Posts
can you send a photo when its sorted so I can see the false floor please

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
1. Are we talking about vehicles of our own or any vehicle that we drive that get punctures.
2. Does anyone know what conditions the recovery companies put on you in relation to carrying a serviceable spare wheel/tyre.
Edited by: Mokkadna

·
Registered
147 Posts
Never suffered a puncture in my own car, but have experienced several in other people's. in the majority of cases an aerosol would not have coped with the damage and a spare tyre was essential.
I was offered a stock Mokka delivered in 3 weeks but went for a space saver and accepted the 16 week wait! I've had a spare/space saver in every car I've owned and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I thought the enquiry was linked to the Mokka that has an option for a spacesaver kit or the pump/aerosol kit, in which case my view is that the spacesaver kit is preferred. However unlikely that a tyre may be split, it can happen and I for one dont intend to be stranded. The norm is becoming "no spare wheel" and recovery companies know this, if the frequency of tyre failure is low then for an individual calling out the recovery company then its not going to be an issue. Its all a matter of risk.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Last puncture was in my Alfa 147 y reg was over ten years ago!

Drive approx 25k each year

·
Registered
767 Posts
7 so far withnone
14 with 41 between them & that's only allowing 6 for the over 5's so itcould be more

I am glad I pre-ordered a space saver

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well I for one prefer to have a spare/space saver wheel in my car. I have had a small number of punctures in my past vehicles and think the whole idea of relying on a self inflating kit rediculous especially ad once used it renders the tyre useless.
Having taken delivery of my Mokka in January I immediately ordered a space saver which I collected on 01/03/13. Just be mindfull the guy at the parts desk said theyre like rocking horse manure with demand far outstripping supply; I consider myself lucky enough to get hold of one even though it took approx six weeks.

Best of luck to anyone who's considering ordering one; it may take as long as your Mokka

·
Registered
142 Posts
I enquired with my dealer last week about spacesaver wheel to get an idea of price - he said they can get the wheel but not the tyres as they are very hard to get hold of. I would also have to purchase jack and wrench separately. I thought it was a full kit you ordered not individual items.

He went to check if a full size wheel & tyre would fit and he thought it would.

So can you not buy a space saver full kit (wheel ,tyre, jack, wrench etc) from Vauxhall now?

I think I will wait til I get my Mokka then may be source the bits as per other threads

Chris

·
Registered
584 Posts
the spares dept ofmy local dealer ordered the full spacesaver kit from Vauxhalls

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
From what the others say I believe that yes it isn't a kit but rather a collection of parts they have to order.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Your right and somewhere on the forum are posted the Vauxhall part nos and costs

·
Registered
163 Posts
is there such a thing as a run flat tyre? - ie i can have a wheel and spare tyre in the boot - then if i have a puncture i can then inflate said tyre and pop it on! - but because its flat it doesnt take up as much room :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
there is adequate room in the lower boot area for a spacesaver tyre, if you so wish you can deflate the tyre as long as you can inflate it, cant see the point!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kirby said:
they're like rocking horse manure with demand far outstripping supply
There is a demand for Rocking Horse manure?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts