Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
This is my first post so looking forward to getting to know you all, although I feel I know some of you already having read quite a bit on here!

Currently driving Nissan Qashqai dci for last 6 years. Great car to drive and be in - it's the first time I've changed one car for another of the same model having bought one when they came out in 2007 and changed it for another in 2010. But the interior is getting a bit tired and needs a re-design I think. If rumoured changes to its shape come about this year I won't be buying another judging by thepictures I have seen

So, I eagerly awaited the arrival of the Vauxhall Mokka into our showrooms last November with a view to perhaps changing. Liked what I saw but doubts were still there about whether I should take the plunge and give up a car I love driving for one that is untried and tested - especially with the reviews by UK motoring journalists of the Opel Mokka being less than impressive.

I then read that Vauxhall had listened to the criticism and adjusted steering and damper issues for the UK market. Couple of weeks ago I decided to put largely unfavourable reviews to one side and go and test drive one myself. Apparently the dealer has a 'set route' to followfor insurance reasonsand, 30 minutes later we were pulling back onto the dealers forecourt (15 of those 30 minutes were spent in a queue at the petrol station as there wasn't any fuel in the demonstrator.) As it turned out, we needn't have bothered because we didn't go far enough to need any!

So, made arrangements to have another test drive this time on a route that I wanted to go on (insurance reasons?...dear oh dear), and we were out for a good 60 minutes (15 of those 60 minutes....I think you know where this is going...!). Anyway, felt much better about the car -the demonstrator was the model I'm looking at getting - and after that finally decided that this was the car for me.

I always like to do loads of research into a car, you know, prices, discountsworth of your p/x that sort of thing, before I walk through a dealerships doors. And so armed to the teeth withinfo and figures that I believed were reasonable and achievable (haha) I was confident, as I strode through those doors, thatit wouldn't be long before I was signing on that dotted linewith an order in the bag for a 1.7cdti SE. The hardest part, i thought, would be deciding what colour - Summit white or Boracay blue?

How wrong can anyone be!
This dealer is making hard work of my haggling ability, suffice to say we arenowhere near what I want to pay. There is up to 5 years 0% and a p/x of my Qashqai on offer but I was there that long last Sunday thrashing out figures and trying not to be caught out by numbers being thrown at me that, by 5pmthe lights were being switched off, everyone was going homeand we are at stalemate.

Because I'm wanting sat nav and rear camera, I'm told it will more than likely be factory order andlikely won't arrivebefore June. June!! This is the reason why I'm not getting offered the current p/x value of my Qashqai as they arehaving to 'project' its June value and worth.

My resolve is being tested! Told dealer I'm in no rush - being laid back about it, bide my time and all that - truth of the matter is I'm bursting to get it!!

The sales consultant (is that the right name?) has gone ona course this week - I don't think it's because of me - and won't be back inuntil this Saturday. She said she will give me a call to have a chat. Why? Are they going to cave in to my demands and give me what I want? No, they're not!

As it turns out, while she ison this course, this week could turn to my advantage because I haven't been idling away the time. Oh no. I'vediscovered you guys here at the Mokka owners forum (Qashqai owners have a similar forum set up) AND, I've visited a couple of other dealerships within 25 mile radius - at which one of themI find that my ex-neighbour is working as a salesman! Joy

It's great to find that so many of you have sealed decent discounts so I know it can be done. Perhaps I will need to search for a dealer who will. But, for now,I know it must be the right car as I'm getting excited about getting one and I haven't even sorted a deal for it yet!

Rest assured future posts - if I do buy a Mokka - no- WHEN I buy a Mokka - won't be anywhere near as long. It's just good to introduce and give some background to it all.....but for now then, I'm off to sit in the MWR (Mokka Waiting Room) to,well, wait really and think....white or blue?

Drive safe.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Welcome to the forum MICAH - Nice introduction
. I too am an ex Qashqai owner, but where we differ is mine was the worst new car I've ever had. Kept it for 18 months and then got rid of it for a very rare (only ever seen two) SEAT Altea "Freetrack" - brilliant vehicle.

If any dealer I went to tried the "set route" nonsense I would have been straight out the door. My dealer was quite happy for me to have a 90 minute unaccompanied test drive and on my own insurance.

Discounts are definitely available. I've achieved £4.6K off an SE AWD. PX was around £1K lower than i might have achieved elsewhere, but the value is guaranteed until the end of May, so am quite happy.

Let us know how you get on and your colour choice

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hey Micah...nice to have you along.

WHITE - there you go decision made!!!!!

I am ashamed to admit I've bought the Mokka without even test-driving it but having had a Vauxhall for the past 3 years I'm assuming it won't be that much different. That said I am getting my first EVER Diesel and Automatic and they couldn't get me one to test drive.

However I got the "future value" rubbish at the first dealer I went to so needless to say didn't stay there long. I ordered in December and he was sure I'd have it by March at the latest. It's now estimated for May and the only reason I've not told him to stick it is the fact that they will have to honour the rather good price I got on my p/x even though it will have done thousands of miles more by the time I take it in as I use it for work (they didn't ask, I didn't tell....caveat emptor and all that!!!)

I have never bought a new car at the first dealer I've gone to - I always end up playing them off against one another and it works well

I think that June, is, in all reality a little optimistic - I've heard that 6 months from order is about the realistic time now but of course the dealers don't tell you that until after you've paid your £500 deposit. Of course possibly they will catch up with the backlog and get things back on track but if it is a factory build (which it sounds as though it is) you'll probably be a while in the waiting room with the rest of us

I just hope it's going to be worth it!!!!

Welcome along for the journey.....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi MICAH, try Evens Halshaw in Wakefield, Ask for Stuart, I got a price (after haggling) from most of the dealers in South and West Yorkshire and Stuart gave me the best deal by far although I didn't have a part ex. PM me if you would like further info.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Think twice before ordering an Se which come with the dreaded AFL LIGHTS
Vauxhall need to do something.

·
Registered
713 Posts
In defence of AFL lighting I have them on my Astra and they are brilliant. No issues, nobody flashing at me and would not have a car without them. Same technology as the Mokka so there must be an issue with some components as it is a well proven system. It has been around for years and was firstintroduced in the Vectra back in 2003 I believe

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi - we have signed for a Boracay blue 1.7 techline- hope to get it by end of march . We had to haggle really hard for our discount( £ about a grand off)as the techline seems to be keenly priced . To be honest the salesman nearly spat his dummy out when we asked for mats and a bootliner to be thrown in to the deal and told us we were being fat toocheeky!!!!

We have a qashqai +2 that we are trading in and we love it but wanted a change and saw the Mokka and throught it was a great car and as not seen any on the road something a bit different. We were toying with getting another qashqai but there are so many out there now.

We decided to go for the blue over the whiteas we wanted something quite bright and went for the 1.7 cdti as seems to be dead economicalwith plenty of poke. Cant wait for it !!! - car is going to be my wifes so hope I get a look in when it arrives ......

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You may have picked the wrong one if you want an exclusive car. Have you not seen the figures for sales. 80,000 so far which doesn't include the American Buick. Heh heh heh
On a more serious note I think you will love it when you get it. Still got a while before I get mine as my date has gone back from end of march to mid April. Have you got a stock vehicle or are you joining us in the wait..........ing room for a while. Edited by: Mokkadna

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know probably be loads around in 12 months
as soon as we saw it though we were hooked. Still not seen one on the road yet.Dealer said it was a stock car that had already been ordered(had a choice of the red or blue ) we will see when it turns up though - cant wait!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warm welcomes - and the cautionary words of advice!
Sorry to hear your Qashqai wasn't up to what it should have been theforestdweller. Sometimes a rogue car slips through the net from time to time.

AlyG - Your method for picking a colour is so easy - don't know why I didn't think of doing it that way! I'll let you know which one I've decided on later.... And yes, i'll probably end up doing the same and playing one dealer off against another.

Tosher - Thanks for the info.I bought my Qashqai from an Evans Halshaw dealership and vowed never to go back to them! Had to get Nissan Customer Services involved to sort out aservicing issue last year as EH were not playing ball.

Mokkadna - Yes I'll be seeing you in the waiting room as I'm told it won't be a stock vehicle.

This weekend will be busy because the plan is, by the end of it, I'll have ordered a Mokka from somewhere. I'm not going as far as Essex though!

In the meantime, here'ssome light at the end of the tunnel (or the door to the waiting room...).
When demand for the Qashqai became high, Nissan introduced an extrathird shift at their Sunderland plant to cope with thatdemand and it reducedthe ridiculouswaiting times. Perhaps Vauxhall might think about doing the same thing and we'll all get our Mokkas that little bit sooner (not me though - I haven't ordered one yet).

Always thinking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts