Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Mokka 1.7 TDCi Auto 2WD two weeks ago, only done 160 miles in her so far.Yesterday I noticed a strange noise from the engine on a cold start up, almost a high pitchwhistling/rattling/ringing (very hard to describe)for a few seconds. Thought it was strange but no car ive owned before has been normal sounding on a frozen start up.
This morning it did the same, traveled to work (4 miles at 30-40 mph limit) and when I arrived at work i noticed a strong burning smell from my vents, stopped immediately and saw a small trail of white smoke from my bonnet, opened up and noticed it was coming from the exhaust manifold at the rear of the engine from under the car. This stopped fairly quickly but I am very concerned to what this could possibly be.

I called the dealership service centre and he seemed cautious about answering, the particle filter was mentioned but I was under the assumption that this does not kick in until you are over 2000RPM and the engine is at optimum temperature. He confirmed this and stated if it happens again to bring it in ASAP but for now just to overlook this.

Has anyone had the same experience with any vehicles this new? I am a noob to diesel engines and new cars.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It's not paint from the manifold? Happens a lot on new components.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have the same engine and have done about 1000 miles so far, and I also get the high pitch/whistling sound for a short period after start up. I have no idea what it is, I just assumed it was normal. I would also be very interested to find out what is causing this. Perhaps you can ask your dealer if he knows what it is?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Same engine here and same whistling sound after a cold start. It goes away when I drive off, seems to only happen on cold tickover. Wondered if it was the alternator drive belt which would be under quite a heavy load just after start up, especially if the heated seats and steering wheel are switched on. Usually a squirt of WD40 on the drive pulley cures that but not tried it on the Mokka yet. Not noticed any smoke though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Isn't this a question for the dealer, best to get a professional opinion

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys, I will have a good look tonight when I can get under her to make sure there is no obvious leaks or damage. Will keep posted incase this is an actual problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the noise mentioned above identified as a "Noisy bearing" in the water pump. This is due to be replaced once parts arrive in from Germany, it presents no threat to my engine, its just an odd noise.
As for service from Vauxhall I cannot tell if I should be amused or irritated.
Picked my car up, got home after noticing a bumping/rattling from my boot, turned out to be my inner wing? plastic shielding around the wheel arch lying in my boot.

After calling Vauxhall i 'convinced them' to pick my car up from my work place as this was becoming a large inconvenience for myself now.
Anyone had similar big/small c*ck ups from Vauxhall with theirs yet?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes i too, have noticed the last few mornings because i didnt have the radio on, Its a funny slight noise that you cant explain, coming from the front of the car. Glad im Not the only one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At 200 miles and again at 460 miles we have had exactly the same problem with a smell that starts like a clutch burning.Fortunately it quickly goes but is accompanied with a drastic drop in fuel economy. Our car is a 1.7 cdti auto I suspect it is dpf related. otherwise car very good and returning 47 mpg around town. I will talk to the garage tomorrow and post their response.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The smell and drop in economy is more than likely to be the DPF regeneration cycle trying to operate, during this the engine ECU late injects diesel in order to raise exhaust temperatures to circa 550-600 degrees C in order for the trapped soot in the DPF to burn off.
When this happens (you will get a distinct drop in fuel economy and a drone from the exhaust) you want to drive until the regen is complete ideally keeping the revs above 2000rpm.

Fail to do this and the DPF will clog and the vehicle will stop.

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
It's good to have someone to explain in a bit more detail, what's going on. We hear terms being used, but don't always know what they fully mean‘� Edited by: Fredave

·
Registered
788 Posts
DPF's are a real backward step in my view and are a fundamental requirement to meet the Euro 4/5 regs.The consequence is that diesel engines are now of no use for short journeys as they need regular long runs to avoid issues. A secondary issue is they take an age to warm up (due to the mass of the block etc and the efficiency of combustion) and hence oil life is compromised and the cabin struggles to warm up on short hops.

Wait until the 1.6 CDTiEuro6 compliant enginearrives, it has an Adblue system on it to reduce NOx so there is an additional tank (Adblue is basically Urea.....yes concentrated urine!) to add the chemical which gets injected into the exhaust manifold. Many manufactures have classed their diesel as 'Bluemotion' or 'Blueinjection' with this technology fitted (so now you know the reasoning behind the naming ;-) )

Edited by: Mokka_Pokka

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bluemotion manufacturers have had problems with DPF s many in excess to the Mokka wait and see on the 1.6 cdti it might be quieter but just the same annoying sort of system with the DPF .

·
Registered
788 Posts
The Adblue technology only reduces the NOx (this is also what the EGR function does but the Adblue reduces it much further).
The DPF filters the particulates.

So sadly, even the Adblue equipped engines have a DPF.

Reality is that the biggest problemaffecting the DPF is that the modern diesel engines do not suit short journeys however, sales people don't discuss this with the potential purchasers......the result is 'issues' and disappointment.

Thankfully Petrol engines have also come a long way in the last five years with respect to power delivery, emissions and economy and are a MUCH better (in factthe only)option for those doing the shorter hops.

Also consider that in order to reduce diesel noise there are a few approaches:

1) Increase the metal content of the engine to deaden the 'knock' and add various covers and sound deadening

2) Up the number of pre and main injections on the common rail system. So you now inject many times per firing to produce a longer burn period which lowers noise levels.

Option 2) was used on a number of engines (less so with GM who were reliant on the Isuzu for the 1.7 and the 1.9/2.0 plus 1.3 were a joint Fiat development) with Ford being the classic example. The result thus far has been much shorter injector life although I suspect the latest ones will be better given the lessons learned by the system suppliers such as Bosch, MM etc.

The new all GM 1.6 is a major step forward (aall alloy including block)and does have the new tech in it but, its a totally new engine and so I would expect some teething trouble for 12-18 months (which is about the length of time it willhavebeen in the Zaf C by the time it hits the Mokka)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Spoke to two VX mechanics ref the new 1600D.They have both been on training courses in order to be able to work on the car.
They said that its causing great concerns regarding the cars complecity.
They said the timing belts etc have been completely re routed and expect problems.The servicing costs will be very expensive.
I was going to wait and buy one but decided to get the 1700D which I have now.They said Iv probably had a luck escape and wouldn't recommend the 1600D.They rated the 1700D highly provided stop start driving is avoided as with any diesel.

·
Registered
788 Posts
mokkamesher said:
Spoke to two VX mechanics ref the new 1600D.They have both been on training courses in order to be able to work on the car.
They said that its causing great concerns regarding the cars complecity.
They said the timing belts etc have been completely re routed and expect problems.The servicing costs will be very expensive.
I was going to wait and buy one but decided to get the 1700D which I have now.They said Iv probably had a luck escape and wouldn't recommend the 1600D.They rated the 1700D highly provided stop start driving is avoided as with any diesel.
No idea where they are getting that idea from (but hey they are mechanics lol).

The setup is such that its very little different to an earlier common rail diesel, the only addition is either a catalytic NOxreduction system(smaller vehicles e.g. Meriva) or an Adblue based injection setup (which of the two the Mokka gets I am not sure yet). Nothing complex here.

As previously stated, thus far its proved very good in the 12-18 months its been used in the other vehicles that are already equipped with it. And certainly, to drive, its MUCH better.

Maybe its just evidence of what I stated elsewhere, cars are just to complex for mechanics these days!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts