Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its back, the spirit crushing 'Service Vehicle Soon' warning on start up. I've already been through quite the saga getting this diagnosed and eventually fixed here

Eventually was discovered to be a bad glow plug (#3 IIRC). Anyway thought i'd just get it booked into a local garage, (not the only dealership nearby that made the numerous errors detailed above) to get them all replaced (which i think should've happened at the Vauxhall garage, but nevermind....).

After going away to find out if the glow plugs on my Mokka (2013 CDTI 1.7 4x4) were the 'standard' or 'smart' ones, the garage came back to say from the people they've contacted they THINK the Mokka has at least one of the 'smart' (presumably this means its got some type of sensor on it) and that would mean I'd be looking at £260ish.

I've tried a few different online supplies site and none mention a smart/sensor glow plug, they all come up with £10-20 normal glow plugs.

Does anyone KNOW what type of glow plugs a Mokka has?

Please do not respond to this post if you don't know for certain, or you're one of those queer chaps that seems to delight in letting everyone know that what is being asked about is covered on day one of Basic Mechanics for Dummies (but not actually stump up and provide any real answers/write any guides).

·
Super Moderator
9,374 Posts
According to Icemint post 14 they don't have sensors on his Mokka 2013 SE 1.7TDCI 4WD. Click Here

Reactions: Markp90

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wellinever! There are at least half a dozen threads of people changing their glow plugs themselves so its a bit disappointing no one was willing to confirm themselves, ah well! I think i'll try a few different garages and see what they come back with.

·
Super Moderator
9,374 Posts
Please keep us updated with the reply/answer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i've been through my Haynes manual front to back AND rang Vauxhall and there is no info. The Vauxhall garage have said they'd basically have to remove them to know! Unbelievable! (Well totally believable considering the 'service' i've had from them previously!)

Does anyone think a mechanic would be able to tell the difference by looking at them inside the engine, i.e. just taking to cover off?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Are the connectors not different, a single connector with no sensor and a concentric connector (like a coax plug) on the ones with sensor?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Our Mokka is a 13 plate 1.7cdti. It has been throwing up the service soon message for a few weeks.

We had it serviced by an independent garage last week as I refused to keep paying the main dealer prices and last year the main dealer failed to point out that the cambelt needed changing.
The Indie used genuine Vauxhall parts and oil and serviced it to the correct schedule so we could preserve the lifetime warranty. They reset the oil change indicator, but the service soon message kept showing.

Yesterday, we dropped it off at the Vauxhall dealer for the lifetime warranty annual inspection. They rang us and said the service soon warning was due to a faulty number 2 glow plug and did we want it fixing? That would be £155 sir. I declined, saying I would replace it myself.

The genuine Vauxhall glow plug was £33.60 from their parts department. I can confirm that it is not the pressure sensor type on our 13 plate. I found cheaper glow plugs on the web, but decided to fit OE so no argument in the future over the lifetime warranty.

Changing the plug is a doddle.

Just remove the oil cap, then pull off the plastic engine top cover upwards. The heater plugs each have a pull-off cap on them, a bit like a miniature spark plug cap. I used some long nosed pliers to do this.
Not trusting the dealer, I checked each plug with an ohmmeter and found that three were reading at 0.9 Ohm and number 2 was reading 60 Ohm. So the dealer info was correct.

I was a little worried that the old plug might have been seized in the head, but after searching the web for info. I sprayed some penetrating oil around it on a warm engine and left it for a couple of hours to soak in. Then with a 10mm 3/8" drive deep socket it undid really easily and lifted out without any drama.

I am waiting for some febi glow plug ceramic grease to arrive tomorrow to put a thin coating on the thread of the new one before fitting. So for now, the old one is back in place, finger tight to stop any crud finding its way into the cylinder. Then it will be a case of fitting the new one and torquing to 18Nm. Job done.

In all it is probably only a 10 minute job, so £155 sounds well out of order especially since the part probably only costs the dealer £15, if that. I guess they need a high margin to cover their overheads and as a contingency for if a glow plug shears off.

If there is doubt over the glow plug type on your engine, then I guess the easiest way is to remove the engine top cover and look at the connectors to the glow plugs and the glow plugs themselves. The pressure sensing types will have a multi-pin connector. The basic glow plugs just have a single pin connector. The glow plugs are different as well. The pressure sensing ones have a cylindrical body at the top, whereas the basic ones are very thin at the top.

Hope this info helps.

·
Super Moderator
9,374 Posts
Thanks for a very informative post. (y)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent write up, many thanks! I may give it a go myself now! Only issue is I don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 18nM (its a small precision one). Will still be worth having a spy to see if they are the pressure ones or not.

I take it when you said yours weren't you were referring to the only one you pulled, or did you mean them all, as mine is also a 1.7 2013 plate?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry, yes to clarify, all 4 glow plugs on our 13 plate are the single pin basic type, with no pressure sensors.

I only have a large 1'2" drive torque wrench, with a lowest setting of 20nm, so along with the febi ceramic grease I ordered a smaller 3/8" torque range from Amazon for delivery today. I went for a mid priced Teng one with a range of 5-25nm. £42. It will come in handy for use on our push bikes, etc anyway. There were cheaper ones available, but with poor feedback on calibration accuracy. The Teng one supposedly comes with a calibration certificate and the required 18nm sits nicely in the 5 to 25nm range. I figured with what I saved on the main dealer price, I could treat myself to a suitable torque wrench!! The last thing I want to do is over-tighten the new glow plug.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After looking at mine, they all have the same connector and look the same, there are none with the sensor 'barrel' beneath them so I think i'm going to go ahead and order them and do it myself. Looking at the condition of them, my money is on #1 being the problem* but i'm going to change them all (*#1 on the far left of the engine and #4 on the far right)

Connector

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think you are right with no.1. It looks to have corrosion between the live pin and the earthed body. Let us know if they undo easily.

I am tempted to try and remove the others on our engine, apply grease and then re-fit, so they will hopefully come out more easily in the future if any fail.
Then again, perhaps that would be tempting fate.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll update once i've done it. Just trying to source a friend who has the requisite torque wrench and deep socket required, not that i'm tight or anything! 😆

·
Registered
23 Posts
Torque wrench and grease arrived just after I typed my previous reply. I have removed the other three, greased them and re-fitted them to hopefully prevent any removal issues in years to come.
No 4 was a bit tricky as there are some fuel pipes that get in the way of the socket extension, but there was just enough play to get the plug slack with the extension. Then I was able to remove the extension and turn the socket with my fingers. I didn't want to put any sideways force on the socket as I think the glow plugs could be quite fragile and snap!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts