Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just wanting to pick peoples brains. After deciding I should change the oil in my car every 6 months, rather than just at the annual service and finding out local garages want £80-90 (inc. filter) to do it, i've decided to do it myself.

Having looked through the Mokkas manual I THINK the oil capacity of my car (2013 1.7 CDTI 4x4) is 4.95l Could someone confirm that?

What are peoples preferences for oil? I found this from a search on here which appears to be OEM GM engine oil and therefore should be just the job for a good price;

I'm also undecided between using ramps (metal or plastic) or axle stands - thoughts?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have used Vauxhall's own dexos oil and a vauxhall / Opel filter on all my
previous Vauxhall cars, at 6 monthly intervals, i used a trolley jack and stands
on my Mokka to lift enough to get my arm under to the sump plug,
NOT going underneath it myself and dropit while it drains, it is a different
dexos for petrol and diesel, that picture does not look like genuine Vauxhall
GM oil and the price is way below what it should be, they look like copy's to me,
should, be a BLUE label, and always has been unless they have changed it,
Be careful on E:bay, I would go to the dealer
Does the below label look genuine to you,?? and the price difference ??
questionable

·
Registered
521 Posts
This is the oil you need.ebay 143387712359. £24.22
There are other sellers with the same that is the genuine product

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hello all,

Just wanting to pick peoples brains. After deciding I should change the oil in my car every 6 months, rather than just at the annual service and finding out local garages want £80-90 (inc. filter) to do it, i've decided to do it myself.

Having looked through the Mokkas manual I THINK the oil capacity of my car (2013 1.7 CDTI 4x4) is 4.95l Could someone confirm that?

What are peoples preferences for oil? I found this from a search on here which appears to be OEM GM engine oil and therefore should be just the job for a good price;

I'm also undecided between using ramps (metal or plastic) or axle stands - thoughts?
That’s expensive, I pay about £17 for 5l from my local dealer so if I were you I’d go to your local one and give the parts dept a bumming if you are not already friendly with them. Yes I’ve got invoices as proof if you want pictures later as I’m on my phone.
It also depends on what you use it for and miles you do etc. My Mokka is same engine and transmission as yours but I’d mostly driven gently by my moo and about 6k a year so I use genuine Gm as I mentioned. If it was being used more or given some more I’d go for the equivalent Mobil1 0w40 as I used this in my highly tuned 1.9 Cdti and it lasted longer and made the engine quieter.

As for oil amount I get the info from the manual, no one else would know any better than the manufacturer would they?

Lift the car how you thinks best once assessing it, since it’s high if I need to get under I drive it onto ramps or use a proper jack if I need wheels off.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Vauxhall state a specific Dexos oil for their 1.4 turbo petrol, and their diesel's,
specifically designed for the engines and more over the Turbo's, different oil
for each and i for one won't use anything else or cut corners, or fit anything
other than manufacturers filters, either it can be false economy
especially if your still under warranty

·
Registered
474 Posts
Exactly, Mobil1 had the best spec when i checked some of the race oil producers a while back. They make 5w30 and 0w40 which has a better working viscosity id use that, if you read the manual its a recommended oil along with a host of other ones.

·
Registered
758 Posts
It is up to you what you use, and believe of the sales hype, with other oil's, But each Mokka
i have owned from new and the Crossland, and my other half's Vauxhall, state in the Service
Booklet that comes with the car, from new Dexos, in one form or another and i have used
Vauxhall/GM oil for 30 years and never had any problems

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I would only buy oil from a franchised dealer or a large chain like Halfords, having worked for an independent dealer. There are dubious characters calling on them regularly selling fake everything from the back of their van, the boss would happily buy from them knowing full well it was rubbish, not saying all auction site traders are the same but I wouldn't buy my cars life blood from one.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Totally agree,

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies folks.

Personally i trust franchised dealers WAY less than independents who are heavily reliant on repeat custom and therefore have more of an incentive to treat their customers well. I also have a friend who worked in a dealership for several years who confirmed that most of the horror stories you hear about them are entirely true, so i never give them my money unless I have no other choice.

Will try my local dealer then have a look on Euro Carparts or similar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts