Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

SAFETY ISSUE–Engine Cutting Out – Help needed

211K views 809 replies 181 participants last post by  greg777 
#1 ·
I need to find out how many of us have had a problem with their Mokka's engine cutting out ""“ there was an earlier thread but that included problems stalling whilst moving off so I've started this new thread. (Hope that's ok Mods.) It's important that we keep strictly to the topic as this is important and has safety implications.

I believe this problem only occurs with the Mokka 1.7 CDTi manual ""“ unless you know differently.

A number of us have had problems with the engine dying completely whilst going round roundabouts, approaching junctions and slowing behind traffic.

This is not stalling. When an engine stalls, it dies a painful death. You know about it. Here we're talking about the engine quietly cutting out and having to be restarted either with the key or by dipping the clutch for the start/stop mechanism to kick in.

This is not going into a corner in too high a gear and causing the engine to stall. This fault cannot be reproduced at will, it happens intermittently. It could happen twice in ten minutes, and then not again for a few days.

Some advice in the earlier thread was that diesels sometimes do this. No they don't. If they do, then there's a potentially dangerous fault.

Further advice posted in the earlier thread tells you just to get used to it. You shouldn't need to, it's fault with the car. Selling on a faulty car might be awkward in the future. In a private sale, you will have to explain the right driving technique. Would you buy a used car if someone told you this about it?

You'll appreciate that this could be a major threat to safety if you find yourself suddenly with no control over your car in the middle of a difficult traffic situation.

I'll post about my own situation separately ""“ but for now can you post if you have had this happen to you once/twice/ or more? Vauxhall are dismissing this as just the wrong type of driving technique and not a safety threat so we need to find out how many people have experienced this.

It's been suggested that Vauxhall will deny everything until enough people stand up and are counted. That's what I hope this topic will achieve.

The original topic is "advice on engine cutting out in 2nd gear".

http://www.mokkaownersclub.co.uk/forum/advice-on-engine-cutting-out-in-2nd-gear_topic837.html

Edited by: Mokka Mick

See less See more
#3 ·
Those of you who read the original topic may recall that about a month ago I was forced to reject my car. Vauxhall told me there was no fault, when plainly there was. Having had the engine cut out a few times while going round roundabouts, I can't accept that the car is safe. My solicitor agrees, and I won't drive it. I haven't driven the car for almost two months now, as it's been in the workshop and down at Vauxhall.

The advice from Vauxhall is that our driving technique is wrong. Yet our driving technique has never caused a problem with any other car over the last 70 years of driving that we have between us. If you're buying a new Mokka, as things stand at the moment, you may have to learn to drive again! The dealership needs to be warning you of this before you buy, and the correct driving technique needs to be described in the manual. Obviously my advanced driving course in the police taught me nothing.

Last week, on advice from my solicitor, I wrote to the Chairman of Vauxhall UK, detailing the chain of events that led me to reject the car. I've had so many sleepless nights worrying about this, that another one, after writing such a long tome until after midnight wasn't unexpected. I think most of you, in the past few months, like me, will have scoured the internet looking for clues as to what's happening with this accursed car. Some time in the middle of the night, everything came together and the cause of the fault hit me. In the morning I did some checking, and everything stacks up perfectly. I know what the fault is! Forgive me for not saying in the forum at the moment, as it is the ace I hold up my sleeve. I've talked with Chokkamokka about it, and she is also convinced. It's a very credible explanation of why the fault occurs. You may want to think about this yourselves, and if you hit the answer, I ask you please don't spill the beans just yet. Alternatively, you could private message me that you would like to know the reason for the fault, and provided I don't suspect you of being a Vauxhall plant ;o) I will forward an explanation. Of course, if you agree with what I've come up with, it would be good if you could put a post on forum saying "Yes. Vauxhall have missed it totally!" or words to that effect.

Anyway, with convincing proof that I was sold a faulty and dangerous car, I was confident that under the 1979 Sale of Goods Act (amended) I should receive a full refund. Unfortunately this has to come from Evans Halshaw as they sold me the car. Evans Halshaw have generally been excellent and sympathetic, and the Service Manager has experienced the fault himself. While the Mokka is (potentially) an excellent car, the bad experience with mine has ruined the new car magic and it has to go.

The Chairman's secretary, Rose, phoned me this afternoon. Abrasive and intransigent would be the only way to describe her. She wouldn't listen to me. The conversation was final and she insisted that there was no fault with my car, and I wouldn't get a full refund, but they would refund me with a deduction for mileage covered. I said I wanted a full refund as I can prove the car was faulty when bought. She wouldn't acknowledge my claim that I'd found the fault, and said that I only "think" I've found it. Also, according to Rose, I'm the only person having the fault! I mentioned this forum, and another car at Evans Halshaw Gateshead that was in the workshop at the same time as mine, and also that Chokkamokka's has been talking to Justin Woodcraft at Vauxhall UK about this. She was adamant that there aren't any other cars having a fault, and she can't discuss any other cases anyway. I explained that it would be to Vauxhall's advantage to acknowledge that I could tell them the reason for the fault, so they can stop looking for it and start fixing it. However, by this time a serious ostrich mentality had set in. Brilliant customer care by Vauxhall.

I then phoned the Service Manager at Evans Halshaw and in confidence told him my theory, and asked that he talk to Vauxhall. I'm hoping he's a more credible witness than they regard me. (If they'd talked to their customers in the first place, they might have worked it out themselves months ago.) It's a shame that I may have to take legal action against Evans Halshaw, as frankly, they don't deserve it, but that's the way it works.

#765 ·
Those of you who read the original topic may recall that about a month ago I was forced to reject my car. Vauxhall told me there was no fault, when plainly there was. Having had the engine cut out a few times while going round roundabouts, I can't accept that the car is safe. My solicitor agrees, and I won't drive it. I haven't driven the car for almost two months now, as it's been in the workshop and down at Vauxhall.

The advice from Vauxhall is that our driving technique is wrong. Yet our driving technique has never caused a problem with any other car over the last 70 years of driving that we have between us. If you're buying a new Mokka, as things stand at the moment, you may have to learn to drive again! The dealership needs to be warning you of this before you buy, and the correct driving technique needs to be described in the manual. Obviously my advanced driving course in the police taught me nothing.

Last week, on advice from my solicitor, I wrote to the Chairman of Vauxhall UK, detailing the chain of events that led me to reject the car. I've had so many sleepless nights worrying about this, that another one, after writing such a long tome until after midnight wasn't unexpected. I think most of you, in the past few months, like me, will have scoured the internet looking for clues as to what's happening with this accursed car. Some time in the middle of the night, everything came together and the cause of the fault hit me. In the morning I did some checking, and everything stacks up perfectly. I know what the fault is! Forgive me for not saying in the forum at the moment, as it is the ace I hold up my sleeve. I've talked with Chokkamokka about it, and she is also convinced. It's a very credible explanation of why the fault occurs. You may want to think about this yourselves, and if you hit the answer, I ask you please don't spill the beans just yet. Alternatively, you could private message me that you would like to know the reason for the fault, and provided I don't suspect you of being a Vauxhall plant ;o) I will forward an explanation. Of course, if you agree with what I've come up with, it would be good if you could put a post on forum saying "Yes. Vauxhall have missed it totally!" or words to that effect.

Anyway, with convincing proof that I was sold a faulty and dangerous car, I was confident that under the 1979 Sale of Goods Act (amended) I should receive a full refund. Unfortunately this has to come from Evans Halshaw as they sold me the car. Evans Halshaw have generally been excellent and sympathetic, and the Service Manager has experienced the fault himself. While the Mokka is (potentially) an excellent car, the bad experience with mine has ruined the new car magic and it has to go.

The Chairman's secretary, Rose, phoned me this afternoon. Abrasive and intransigent would be the only way to describe her. She wouldn't listen to me. The conversation was final and she insisted that there was no fault with my car, and I wouldn't get a full refund, but they would refund me with a deduction for mileage covered. I said I wanted a full refund as I can prove the car was faulty when bought. She wouldn't acknowledge my claim that I'd found the fault, and said that I only "think" I've found it. Also, according to Rose, I'm the only person having the fault! I mentioned this forum, and another car at Evans Halshaw Gateshead that was in the workshop at the same time as mine, and also that Chokkamokka's has been talking to Justin Woodcraft at Vauxhall UK about this. She was adamant that there aren't any other cars having a fault, and she can't discuss any other cases anyway. I explained that it would be to Vauxhall's advantage to acknowledge that I could tell them the reason for the fault, so they can stop looking for it and start fixing it. However, by this time a serious ostrich mentality had set in. Brilliant customer care by Vauxhall.

I then phoned the Service Manager at Evans Halshaw and in confidence told him my theory, and asked that he talk to Vauxhall. I'm hoping he's a more credible witness than they regard me. (If they'd talked to their customers in the first place, they might have worked it out themselves months ago.) It's a shame that I may have to take legal action against Evans Halshaw, as frankly, they don't deserve it, but that's the way it works.

Mine is the same since I picked it up brand new. It's been in vauxhall garages but I have just been told to drive it like a boy racer by baylis vauxhall Gloucester service manager

#4 ·
Mokka Mick, Hopefully Vauxhall will see sense as you could really hurt their reputation if this goes viral and cost them a whole lot more - I don't have my Mokka yet - is there anything in particular I should be checking when I go to collect?.......please bear with me as I didn't even go for a test drive......these cars were / are like hens teeth. Hope you get some satisfaction - obviously this has soured what should be an amazingly great experience - all the best, SD

#5 ·
Thanks for the kind thoughts SD. You really should have a test drive. You might just have a whole new driving experience. I hope not. There's nothing you can check. If you get one you'll know about it - the engine just cuts out when changing down from 3rd to 2nd. Good luck and I hope yours is OK.

#6 ·
Mokka Mick,

The cutting out is so true, I put it down to my driving as I've just turned 26... Most times I have managed to recover the car with the clutch but have had occasions where the car has just died...

Could you dm me what your thoughts on this issue is?

#7 ·
Mokka Mick please include a link to the previous thread in your original post.

I'm having a hard time with this thread as I'm trying to decide the relevance of this thread while secret squirelling a possible answer away. Can't you ask EH to investigate and try to fix the car based on the new info?

#10 ·
I have driven vauxhall diesels now continuosly for over 15 years and never had a problem like the one with the Mokka. As you say it is unpredictable, you do not have a problem for some time and then you get the "stall" several times in often different circumstances, also sometimes the engine will restart on dipping the clutch and sometimes not. I have ended up in the middle of the road with a "dead car" and traffic bearing down on me, not a good feeling.
Sometimes on first pullaway of the day I get the feeling of reduced power too?

#11 ·
Number Six said:
Fuel + O2 + Heat = working engine .

Therefore , something is interrupting this trinity . From the description of events , it occurs at times of slight negative G . 
So the negative G is keeping the fuel away briefly from where it needs to be? So if negative G is the cause of cut outs why is it being seen on the diesel models but not the petrol ones?

#13 ·
Possibly could be a different issue as yours is a petrol unit . The alternators should be a heavier duty than standard for stop go purposes . However , if there is an issue with the sensitivity or sensors , then the engine management could be duped regardless of powerplant .

#801 ·
I have this and was told this and was told it was a faulty parking sensor. If I turn off my parking sensors it does not happen as much.
Possibly could be a different issue as yours is a petrol unit . The alternators should be a heavier duty than standard for stop go purposes . However , if there is an issue with the sensitivity or sensors , then the engine management could be duped regardless of powerplnt .

#14 ·
Mokka Mick,
I have had this engine cutting out problem several times at a junction and once in the middle of a roundabout (this was a most disconcerting event, with a car right behind me, nearly causing them to crash into my rear end).
This is my first ever diesel car and I have assumed (quite wrongly, it appears) that is was my driving style. I would be most interested in knowing your theory regarding the cause of this fault, and would hope that at some point in the future you may feel that you are in a position to disclose this to us.
In the mean time I would like to wish you every success in your pursuance of this matter with Vauxhall.

Best regards seamaster

#15 ·
A friend of mine has had his 1.7 CDTI Tech Line for 2 weeks and the first thing he complained about was the engine cutting out as described in this forum. He took it back to the garage and and they also told him it was his driving technique. I have sent him a link to the forum.

#16 ·
Recently this has happened to me twice and my wife once, like you we put it down to driving style but I am pretty sure I did not stall it. Each occasion has been when slowing down for a road junction with the ECO selected ON and the car had to be restarted with the ignition key. Happening 3 times in 7 months is maybe a bit premature to call it a fault but I'm beginning to wonder???? This "event" is quite unlike the many times I stalled it when the car was new before a got the hang of driving it and it must be about 5 months now since I stalled it proper.

#17 ·
Sounds like the problem Vauxhall are having, understanding where owners are coming from, is that there are two problems.

One is a genuine stall, which for me, is down to a low bite point on the clutch combined with a slow throttle response. I can adjust my driving style to cope with this, and there seems to be an improvement with some running in.

Then there is this other reported problem of 'no load' engine dying. I dont think I've experienced this (we have the diesel), but I've probably not driven the car as much as some, and I always (when I remember) switch 'stop start' off.

Whenever people talk to Vauxhall, they should, perhaps, always make a distinction between the two problems. Just a thought.

Hope you get a resolution, and that we all get to know outcome.

#18 ·
DietCokeBloke said:
Mokka Mick please include a link to the previous thread in your original post.

I'm having a hard time with this thread as I'm trying to decide the relevance of this thread while secret squirelling a possible answer away. Can't you ask EH to investigate and try to fix the car based on the new info?

DietCokeBloke. Apologies for leaving out the link. It makes perfect sense to include it in the first post. This is hopefully now rectified.

I started this topic to try and determine the scale of the issue with regard to the 1.7 diesel manual version of the Mokka. I'm fairly convinced that it only happens with this version of the car. Anything else is probably a red herring, hence the new topic.

If you think you've cracked it, then private message me, and we'll see if we have the same answer. (Or god forbid, a different one.) Maybe the game is to see how many people can get it before Vauxhall technical cotton on!

Whilst Evans Halshaw have been fairly good, it would seem that their hands are tied by Vauxhall. Vauxhall just don't want to know. The service manager at EH knows the fault, and I'm wondering whether they will ignore him as well. I'm sure all will become clear in the next few days. I'll keep the forum posted.

#22 ·
Same here its not happened to ke either.

Ive stalled it a few times when i first got it but that was me just trying to adjust to a new car.

It has me quite worried now, could it have something to do with a certain batch?

#23 ·
Happened TWICE to me today. Once on busy roundabout (it's a good job the driver behind was awake!) and again 15 minutes lateron straight roadbut moving slowly because of traffic at pedestrian light crossings. Just cuts off completely, dies out, no 'lurching' as if stalled.
Only had car 6 days, only done 75 miles so far and first time it's happened. The dealer hasn't rung me yet to see how I'm liking the car - I'll mention it when they do.

#24 ·
Since Drive Vauxhall had the car in last week & the VX Field engineer (with just a few miles driving) did not have the fault happen to him I've been driving as per instructions from VX which are to turn the stop/start system off and to put the clutch in much later than I usually would. And I'm finding that this makes a big difference.

Instead of the engine cutting out intermittently - say every other day with no pattern except braking & putting the clutch in - in the new regime it will cut out between 50% and 100% of slowing/stopping scenarios following their instructions. Quite staggeringly dangerous. I will keep doing the testing that VX have asked me to do & report back to them but surely THEY should be doing this testing on a test track not me doing it on normal roads putting myself and all other road users in danger. This is barking mad but every time I talk to VX and the Dealer they make out that I'm just some idiot who doesn't know how to drive properly. Where next?!?

#25 ·
me and my wife both thought it was our driving but having read this thread we realised it wasnt, happened again to my wife yesterday going round a roundabout in second gear, needless to say now booked in to our local dealer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.