Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
761 - 780 of 800 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi did anyone have a definitive solution to this? The stall cut out at roundabouts I was able to solve by disabling the auto stop by leaving the heated screen on. 1.7 diesel cdti. However the cut out at speed is happening to us. As with some others it started post a service and also tied in with an emissions system sensor warning. At times the car will just shut down whilst driving. The sensor can be an issue or thirdly the car would almost be like it was an old style petrol car that was being over choked when starting it. You'd have to switch it off and leave it and then start it a 5 mins later. Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Engine intermittent cut out.

I have a Mokka X 1.6 CDTi, 2017, i have a problem with the engine intermittently cutting out on the approach to traffic lights and roundabouts. It does this whether the S/S is on or not. Has anyone else had this fault?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Mokka 1.7d auto I have been having this problem for a couple of years but this year it had been happening on a regular basis which is making me scared to drive, it losses exceleration and quite a few times now it literally just cuts out which is quite dangerous when it happens a picture of a car comes up on the dash and says service soon but apparently this means there is a fault and not service ? I’ve had it in the garage numerous times but they can never find anything wrong with it,today it did it and said reduced engine power I’m literally at my wits end I can’t afford to get another car but getting to the point where I’m just too afraid to drive this one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those of you who read the original topic may recall that about a month ago I was forced to reject my car. Vauxhall told me there was no fault, when plainly there was. Having had the engine cut out a few times while going round roundabouts, I can't accept that the car is safe. My solicitor agrees, and I won't drive it. I haven't driven the car for almost two months now, as it's been in the workshop and down at Vauxhall.

The advice from Vauxhall is that our driving technique is wrong. Yet our driving technique has never caused a problem with any other car over the last 70 years of driving that we have between us. If you're buying a new Mokka, as things stand at the moment, you may have to learn to drive again! The dealership needs to be warning you of this before you buy, and the correct driving technique needs to be described in the manual. Obviously my advanced driving course in the police taught me nothing.

Last week, on advice from my solicitor, I wrote to the Chairman of Vauxhall UK, detailing the chain of events that led me to reject the car. I've had so many sleepless nights worrying about this, that another one, after writing such a long tome until after midnight wasn't unexpected. I think most of you, in the past few months, like me, will have scoured the internet looking for clues as to what's happening with this accursed car. Some time in the middle of the night, everything came together and the cause of the fault hit me. In the morning I did some checking, and everything stacks up perfectly. I know what the fault is! Forgive me for not saying in the forum at the moment, as it is the ace I hold up my sleeve. I've talked with Chokkamokka about it, and she is also convinced. It's a very credible explanation of why the fault occurs. You may want to think about this yourselves, and if you hit the answer, I ask you please don't spill the beans just yet. Alternatively, you could private message me that you would like to know the reason for the fault, and provided I don't suspect you of being a Vauxhall plant ;o) I will forward an explanation. Of course, if you agree with what I've come up with, it would be good if you could put a post on forum saying "Yes. Vauxhall have missed it totally!" or words to that effect.

Anyway, with convincing proof that I was sold a faulty and dangerous car, I was confident that under the 1979 Sale of Goods Act (amended) I should receive a full refund. Unfortunately this has to come from Evans Halshaw as they sold me the car. Evans Halshaw have generally been excellent and sympathetic, and the Service Manager has experienced the fault himself. While the Mokka is (potentially) an excellent car, the bad experience with mine has ruined the new car magic and it has to go.

The Chairman's secretary, Rose, phoned me this afternoon. Abrasive and intransigent would be the only way to describe her. She wouldn't listen to me. The conversation was final and she insisted that there was no fault with my car, and I wouldn't get a full refund, but they would refund me with a deduction for mileage covered. I said I wanted a full refund as I can prove the car was faulty when bought. She wouldn't acknowledge my claim that I'd found the fault, and said that I only "think" I've found it. Also, according to Rose, I'm the only person having the fault! I mentioned this forum, and another car at Evans Halshaw Gateshead that was in the workshop at the same time as mine, and also that Chokkamokka's has been talking to Justin Woodcraft at Vauxhall UK about this. She was adamant that there aren't any other cars having a fault, and she can't discuss any other cases anyway. I explained that it would be to Vauxhall's advantage to acknowledge that I could tell them the reason for the fault, so they can stop looking for it and start fixing it. However, by this time a serious ostrich mentality had set in. Brilliant customer care by Vauxhall.

I then phoned the Service Manager at Evans Halshaw and in confidence told him my theory, and asked that he talk to Vauxhall. I'm hoping he's a more credible witness than they regard me. (If they'd talked to their customers in the first place, they might have worked it out themselves months ago.) It's a shame that I may have to take legal action against Evans Halshaw, as frankly, they don't deserve it, but that's the way it works.

Edited by: Mokka ****
Mine is the same since I picked it up brand new. It's been in vauxhall garages but I have just been told to drive it like a boy racer by baylis vauxhall Gloucester service manager

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a similar issue about 18 months ago cutting out or limp mode generally when coming to roundabout agent could not find anything wrong.
A MG agent found that a turbo pipe joint was leaking they re-sealed all the pipes and reset engine management system have not had any issue since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need to find out how many of us have had a problem with their Mokka's engine cutting out ""“ there was an earlier thread but that included problems stalling whilst moving off so I've started this new thread. (Hope that's ok Mods.) It's important that we keep strictly to the topic as this is important and has safety implications.

I believe this problem only occurs with the Mokka 1.7 CDTi manual ""“ unless you know differently.

A number of us have had problems with the engine dying completely whilst going round roundabouts, approaching junctions and slowing behind traffic.

This is not stalling. When an engine stalls, it dies a painful death. You know about it. Here we're talking about the engine quietly cutting out and having to be restarted either with the key or by dipping the clutch for the start/stop mechanism to kick in.

This is not going into a corner in too high a gear and causing the engine to stall. This fault cannot be reproduced at will, it happens intermittently. It could happen twice in ten minutes, and then not again for a few days.

Some advice in the earlier thread was that diesels sometimes do this. No they don't. If they do, then there's a potentially dangerous fault.

Further advice posted in the earlier thread tells you just to get used to it. You shouldn't need to, it's fault with the car. Selling on a faulty car might be awkward in the future. In a private sale, you will have to explain the right driving technique. Would you buy a used car if someone told you this about it?

You'll appreciate that this could be a major threat to safety if you find yourself suddenly with no control over your car in the middle of a difficult traffic situation.

I'll post about my own situation separately ""“ but for now can you post if you have had this happen to you once/twice/ or more? Vauxhall are dismissing this as just the wrong type of driving technique and not a safety threat so we need to find out how many people have experienced this.

It's been suggested that Vauxhall will deny everything until enough people stand up and are counted. That's what I hope this topic will achieve.

The original topic is "advice on engine cutting out in 2nd gear".

Vauxhall Mokka Forums

Edited by: Mokka ****

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi my mokka 1.4 petrol has just cut out on me twice now 1st time three months ago rac man took off battery leads and a connection to the coil put back on after 15min reset car all was good till a week ago same thing just dies on me wont start this time rac man says not sure so taken to Vauxhall garage.
They put on diagnosis nothing shone up so they took off coil pack put one on they knew was good car started and didn't cut out so put on my coil pack car started and didn't cut out so the tested again nothing came up but the must be something.
They have said to pick car up and just drive it but as you say this could be so dangerous in main traffic. Should I have coil pack HT leads replaced I'm at a loss .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have same problem. I Need a TECHNICIAN or someone qualified to describe the problem. So I can take a qualified description of the issue to Vauxhall dealer who say i am driving the car wrong and I should drive it aggressively to avoid the issue but even if I did I would have to slow down at roundabouts etc the also say its a characteristic of the c1.7 cdti 2015 Mokka.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could a technical person with relevant experience help me. If they could email me describing:-

Their qualifications and experience​
The issue​
Potential causes of the fault​

I can the take this to my Vauxhall dealer to get the issue resolved.

Thanks in advance.

Martin Hammett

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi so after looking at most of this page on mokka just cutting out some darting back to 2016 surely some of you can possibly give me something I can take to Vauxhall to get my car sorted please . If you need me to put my email address up for you this I can do

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having the same problem with engine dying, bought my 2016 diesel mokka in May its back in the garage for 4th time they say no fault but I know there is and my husband also experienced it, he has a diesel insignia no issues and we have had diesel cars for years I'm in despair with what to do

·
Registered
10 Posts
Engine intermittent cut out.

I have a Mokka X 1.6 CDTi, 2017, i have a problem with the engine intermittently cutting out on the approach to traffic lights and roundabouts. It does this whether the S/S is on or not. Has anyone else had this fault?
Hi mine is the same bout it in May its 2016 reg 1.6 diesel its now struggling to start had it back at garage 6 times has your problem been resolved

·
Registered
9 Posts
we've literally just brought a 2013 1.7CDTI one on Sunday, and i managed to stall on the Sunday, and i assumed it was just me not being used to it, but you have me worried after reading this thread that I've brought a car that's going to keep cutting out.

I can see this thread was started a long time ago, and i guess this issue has never been resolved then?

whats people thoughts, turn off eco mode? Does turning off eco mode make a major diff in fuel consumption?

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
The ECO button just turns the Start/Stop function off, it has no bearing on engine management or anything else that would affect fuel consumption. I've found turning it off has stopped the problem I was having (the crunching engine restart noise/clutch dipping issue)

761 - 780 of 800 Posts