Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having owned my Mokka for some 6 weeks and driven just under 1K miles, I think it's about time for a review.

The Positives:

It looks good ...... Mmmmm, that's about it.

The Negatives:

In summary, I'm not impressed, in fact I'm very disillusioned and disappointed. Here's why:

The car seems to have been built with the intention of doing as little as possible as far as quality is concerned that GM thought they could get away with. There are just so many little things that shout ""cheap and shoddy""�.

I think that the debacle over the AFL lighting just about sums up this vehicle, a rushed and inferior product. How could the faulty lighting ever have been passed as acceptable - but there again maybe it wasn't even tested except on a non UK pothole free road.

However let's deal with the issues as I see them starting with the worst.

I was not expecting the very intrusive amount of road/tyre noise that is transmitted through (allegedly) premium tyres. This alone has made up my mind that I shall be only too pleased to be rid of this car as soon as I can afford to replace it. On a typical UK ""B""� road, ie course surface, the engine is almost drowned out!

While checking the tyres I noted with disappointment the cheap and not at all cheerful locking wheel nuts, a nasty grey/black colour where a few pennies more could have allowed some chrome matching items. All my previous new vehicles (including some Korean ones!) Had aesthetically acceptable locking nuts.

Along with the road noise there seems to be an almost total lack of suspension. Without doubt this is the harshest ride I've had in a new ""Soft Roader""� type of vehicle. This was not helped by over inflated tyres at delivery time - all between 39 - 41psi, checked with two tyre gauges before deflating to the recommended ""comfort""� settings. This improved the ride from very harsh to merely harsh.

We all know that the 1.7CDTi engine is not as refined as compeT*Tor models, but we purchased knowing that this was the case, although perhaps through slightly gritted teeth knowing that a ""new, improved""� engine would follow within about 18 months of the launch. Given that the new engine is about to be released in the Meriva would it not have been good to wait a few months before launching the diesel Mokka so the new engine could be fitted and thus remove one of the (reviewers at least) main gripes about the car.

Within a few months of the launch one of the body colours has been discontinued. What does this say about the GM organisation that they cannot even decide on a colour range for the vehicle. Similarly one of the things missing from the launch vehicles was the option of a sunroof, only to be announced some 6 months or so later as an additional accessory for UK models. Others had this available from launch. Both of these announcements before some of the original orders have yet to be delivered. Owners are awaiting new cars that have already been superceded! Just what does this say about GMs atT*Tude to customers.

One thing I didn't notice beforehand on the test drive are the remarkably tinny sounding doors when they are closed - sure as he11 wouldn't pass muster in the ""sounds just like a Golf""� advert. Also, what's with the little pop up door lock catches - I thought they went out with the ark in favour of neat little catches adjacent to the interior door handle. I can only assume that GM assumed that since they had cut back elsewhere, one more quality compromise wouldn't matter.

Another annoyance is the pathetic excuse for a foot rest to the left of the clutch. In fact it's not a proper foot rest, merely a few strips of plastic in the carpet. The method of construction means that they are actually lower than the surrounding carpet they are imbedded in, so perform no useful function whatsoever except to allow the carpet to get dirty which seems rather negative, indeed pointless.

Another interesting ""feature""� that isn't is the ""automatic""� dual zone climate control. As far as I am concerned this should mean setting the desired temperature and leaving the system to its own devices except occasional changes to directionality as dictated by the weather. Not in the Mokka however. To get cold air one has to press a button. I know that this is supposed to be a ""green""� measure, but to my mind this is just regressing to a manual (inferior?) system.

Fortunately I'm not into ICE but I do expect after the initial setting up that the Bluetooth function automatically connect to my phone whenever I get into the car. Well it will if the ICE system was on when the car was last switched off and the Bluetooth screen is being displayed. No chance however if the system was off at the time when a degree of persuasion and general faffing about is required to make the connection again.

For anyone having got this far through, I should point out that my last several cars have been ""Soft Roaders""� so the Mokka type of car is not new to me. I have purchased from new, Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV, Nissan Qashqai (up until the Mokka the worst of my new vehicles), SEAT Altea ""Freetrack""�, and most recently a Hyundai iX35 (definitely the best of all).

I shall be taking the car on it's first Motorway long(ish) distance trip over the coming weekend. Maybe the vehicle will redeem itself. If not then it's as early a change as I can manage. I guess that GM/Vauxhall will have the last laugh though through above average depreciation that Vauxhalls are (allegedly) known for ..... Now goes to check the facelifted iX35 specification due out in a couple of months while waiting for incoming flak here

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting review indeed!

I'm due to order a new company car any time soon. That's the reason I am keeping an eye on this forum. So far I'm in the middle of quite a decent set of demo cars. So far I have had Friday to Friday tests of IX35 - Sportage and Tiguan. The Mokka comes tomorrow and next Friday comes the CX-5. If I'm honest I thought the IX35 was pretty average although it didn't really do anything badly.

After the Mazda I will post a review of all cars and let you all know what I think. To be honest the only reason the Mokka interested me is the very low costs of ownership as a company car driver. What has worried me all along is "why does such a massively specced car come so cheap?" And your review pretty much summed up what I was suspecting.

I work as an agronomist so whatever I choose will need to do some sort of off roading. I cross fields, farm tracks etc on a daily basis. My current car is a Golf Match and I've had it in places you wouldn't think a 4x4 would go so I will expect a car with 4x4 written on the back to be able to do the same.

Oh well, we'll see what tomorrow brings :)

Edited by: Barny

·
Registered
600 Posts
I will be interested as to what other owners have to say about the points raised , though I would have thought the ride and road noise issues would have availed themselves during test drives . The more minute details , I think we could easily over look during a test drive . Most of the criticism appears to levied at Vauxhall for some of their decision making , rather than the car itself , which in fairness has been covered elsewhere on the forum . Have you spoken to the dealer to see if sufficient sound proofing has been installed ? I still struggle to get our climate control working adequately on the ASX , to me its all witch craft !!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Number Six said:
I would have thought the ride and road noise issues would have availed themselves during test drives .
I agree, they should have, but they didn't. Retrospectively I was concentrating most on the reported noisy engine and satisfied myself that it was OK. I now realise that my test drive was exclusively on main roads where the road surface was a lot better than in my home environment. However I can only compare with what I find, and all the other "Soft Roaders" I have owned were driven on the same roads and without problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In two minds whether tocancel my order. it appears that people are quite happy to wait for ages to get a new model car in the hope that all the faults are sorted before they receive delivery. Tracking the ship etc, even suggesting we should thank Justin for coming up with a fix to the AFL problem months after it was first reported.
This will be my firstnew car and to some it may not be alot of money to spend on a car but to me it's a big deal. It appears to be a car that has just been "chucked" together using the cheapest of components with the latest technology. The 0% finance and the lifetime warranty used as sweeteners to encourage people to buy.
People have waited a long time to receive their car after ordering and are maybe happy to gloss over the negative aspects of the car.

Mine isn't due for delivery until 09/08 ordered 02/02 not being built until end of May

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mackem said:
It appears to be a car that has just been "chucked" together using the cheapest of components with the latest technology.
That about sums it up for me, although the "Continental" brand tyres are supposedly at the premium end of the market, but IMHO are a disaster on the Mokka.

·
Registered
600 Posts
TFD, I know what you mean about being distracted by looking out for known issues during test drives , and getting distracted . The state of the UK roads almost requires the use of an air cushioned vehicle at times . Whilst you are in review mode , how have you found the seats , as SWMBO was drawn to these due to her back issues , and it would be nice to hear the view of someone that has been in the saddle for a few miles now , especially as there has not been much spoken about them here .

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Number Six said:
Whilst you are in review mode , how have you found the seats , as SWMBO was drawn to these due to her back issues ...
One of the (few) plus points, bearing in mind that these are the "SE" seats. Seating comfort was very high on the list for SWMBO who also has some physical limitations. She has found the seats ideal for her problems and I have no complaints either. The range of adjustment - back, forward, up, down, tilt, extend (seat cushion), adjust lumbar support (in, out, up and down) makes the ideal adjustment perfectly possible. Our only comment was that the seats are quite narrow and the side bolsters quite prominent, so those of above average proportions may struggle. All manufacturers should ensure that the passenger seat has the same range of adjustments as the drivers seat as the Mokka has - look I'll even end this one with a positive smiley

·
Registered
185 Posts
Interesting comments TFD. On Bluetooth, I'm not sure what phone you have but this may help - my Galaxy S3 was hard work to get it to pair & get the phone book etc at first. So I handed it to my 11 yr old who did something & now it pairs with full phone book every time. I think the main trick was to tick the box on the phone that said "don't ask again" when a question came up about allow access by the car to the phone. Let a kid have a go would be my advice.

I'm only at the end of week 1 with my Mokka & so far I'm very pleased. It feels good & passengers have been impressed. I suspect my tyres are on the eco setting as the ride is firm - but it's still a lot better than my old car & much less noisy too even tho that was a petrol engine. It sounds like a diesel, but it would cos it is. Early days but I'm pleased to be getting mid 50s MPG.

What really strikes me (never having bought myself a new car before & my old car was 7 yrs old) is that really I'm now driving a computer. The car decides to do loads of things from how fast it'll operate the windscreen wipers to when it'll do the auto-stop. My other 1/2 (who hates getting a new computer or phone cos of having to learn the new technology) won't like the computer side of it so I'll have to remember to take everything off auto if I ever let him have a go.

In short my 1 week feedback is that I'm very happy with the car & reckon I'll keep it for a long time. Edited by: Chokkamokka

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am very close to ordering a new car and the Mokka is a the top of the list but this makes interesting reading and offers more food for thought. I did have a look lst week at an IX35, but when I sat in it found that I had very little head room (felt like an inch inch and a half) and thought that any bump and I would be banging my head. The salesman promptly adjusted the seat to it's lowest which did give some respite but defeated the object of having the full range of movement.

·
Registered
70 Posts
TFD & Everyone else.....The formal assessment of your Mokka was fair, as this is your opinion on what you feel are 'negative points' on the car albeit more towards Vauxhall than the actual car itself!!

I think everyone has to take these reviews with a pinch of salt. Yes, they do make yourdecisionsas a buyer, to buy or not to buy, however it is all down to personal opinion too!

Remember all the negative comments in the press about this car? That didn't stop me buying a Mokka and putting up with the long wait.

I am 25, I have bought a Mokka with my fiance as we a planning on having the car for a number of years, so it will need to be a family car in a year or two!!!! I went for a test drive, loved the car, got back into my VW Scirocco and........walked straight back into the dealers and placed the order, forgetting about every single negative comment made about Mokka's.

I think a lot of 'buyers' are expecting a lot from the Mokka, it'sreasonablypriced, and really (I might get a few evil looks for this comment) you do get what you paid for.

This being said, i haven't even taken delivery of my car, so this post may even be deleted after 6 weeks of driving the Mokka!

·
Registered
196 Posts
MokkaFokka said:
TFD & Everyone else.....The formal assessment of your Mokka was fair, as this is your opinion on what you feel are 'negative points' on the car albeit more towards Vauxhall than the actual car itself!!

I think everyone has to take these reviews with a pinch of salt. Yes, they do make yourdecisionsas a buyer, to buy or not to buy, however it is all down to personal opinion too!

Remember all the negative comments in the press about this car? That didn't stop me buying a Mokka and putting up with the long wait.

I am 25, I have bought a Mokka with my fiance as we a planning on having the car for a number of years, so it will need to be a family car in a year or two!!!! I went for a test drive, loved the car, got back into my VW Scirocco and........walked straight back into the dealers and placed the order, forgetting about every single negative comment made about Mokka's.

I think a lot of 'buyers' are expecting a lot from the Mokka, it'sreasonablypriced, and really (I might get a few evil looks for this comment) you do get what you paid for.

This being said, i haven't even taken delivery of my car, so this post may even be deleted after 6 weeks of driving the Mokka!
I have to agree a lot of the points are a personal issue. I have only had mine for a couple of days but so far its a delight. I checked the tyre pressures were at the comfort setting. No excessive road noise or engine noise from the 1.4T. As for the AFLs they work perfectly. I amtaking it on a long trip this weekend on motorways so will have a better opinion then.
This is my 4th new vauxhall (2 Corsas and an Insignia) and like all manufacturers they have their pros and cons but they tick all my boxesplus a lifetime warranty.

It's all down to personal choice

·
Registered
817 Posts
Good some positives.

I agree it's what your opinion is.

I had a BMW and I thought that was shizzle

I have just sold my QQ and that was an okay car yet some rave about it.

Once I get my Mokka I might be eating my words.....we shall see. Edited by: Love Stallion

·
Registered
42 Posts
Former Audi and BMW driver here. I like my Mokka. It is not perfect but no car ever is. My £38k Audi had more faults. 8k miles in 3 1/2 months.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chokkamokka said:
Interesting comments TFD. On Bluetooth ... So I handed it to my 11 yr old who did something & now it pairs with full phone book every time.
Yes, the old fallback position - borrow a small child
works nearly every time, unfortunately I don't have one available at the moment. My 'phone (Sony Ericsson C902, (yes, yes it's old
) is paired OK, it just won't connect without the aforementioned faffing around. I shall try harder

Deke said:
I did have a look lst week at an IX35, but when I sat in it found that I had very little head room
I assume then that was the "Premium" with full length dual sunroof (hint, hint Vauxhall
), rather than the "Style" which just has a Mokka style tin roof. Mind I'm a little "vertically challenged" so had no problem.

MokkaFokka said:
I think a lot of 'buyers' are expecting a lot from the Mokka, it's reasonably priced, and really (I might get a few evil looks for this comment) you do get what you paid for. Embarrassed
I don't consider £25K plus for a top of the range "B" segment car particularly reasonable. That sort of money can buy a lot of car elsewhere, and with a lot of quality. My opinion may be subjective but I still think the Mokka severely under delivers.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts