Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

Do you prefer Auto or Manual?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I have preferred auto for many years now and could never return to a manual gearbox except in an emergency.
I just wondered what members were ordering?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Have driven autos now for over 30 years due to mobility issues.

Drove a manual while on holiday and hated it, no more stirring a 'bucket full of cogs' for me given the speed of response and quality of modern auto boxes.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
No choice for me now we share a car, Wife took her test in an auto many years ago so can't drive a manual, but I'm happy not to have the choice, I prefer Auto's and the Mokka has one of the smoothest boxes I've ever driven, most gear changes go unnoticed unless you happen to be looking at the rev counter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So my Mokka is 6 speed manual, as there was no AWD auto with a 1.4 T engine until the X this year.

I have had two automatics in the past and have always preferred manual transmission as I disliked 'negotiating' with an automatic in urban traffic.

That was until I got to drive an automatic Toyota Rav4 with 'flappy paddles' and I was instantly taken with DSC gearboxes - apart from a few questions about reliability (until recently) and expensive repairs if they do go wrong.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had Vauxhall automatics for about 25 years and they have all been excellent. I have a Mokka 1.4 auto and it has an excellent gearbox I would not want to go back to a manual gearbox.Rick

·
Registered
104 Posts
For an everyday car-auto. No question.I always say "why change gears if the car can do it for you". I do have a manual car sitting in the garage a lot of the time-it's a classic. So I also enjoy the manual with overdrive.But not everyday.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Depends on your driving style, I do, on occasion, like to 'press on' and drive a car to its limits. This is just not possible or predictable with an auto.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Mokka_Pokka said:
Depends on your driving style, I do, on occasion, like to 'press on' and drive a car to its limits. This is just not possible or predictable with an auto.
I don't know. I have used the 'manual' override on the Mokka box a few times and it is really responsive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When we looked at the Mokka we wanted 4WD, Petrol and Auto. Unfortunately you could only have any two, so we opted to drop the Auto Box. Side benefits were:
1. Saved us some money.
2. As we plan to keep the car some time a manual repair should be cheaper than an auto repair (on average, I am not saying all manual repairs are cheaper than all auto repairs).

I did look around, and unless I missed something I couldn't find anything Mokka size that did meet all three requirements (we also wanted a soft roader type of vehicle because we like the upright driving position). They are available on bigger cars, but the Mokka is the biggest car we could get that would still fit comfortably in our garage. A bit late now, but does anyone know of a car Mokka size, or a little bit smaller, upright driving position (i.e. soft roader) and the option of 4WD and petrol and auto.

·
Registered
788 Posts
nigelbrooks said:
Mokka_Pokka said:
I don't know. I have used the 'manual' override on the Mokka box a few times and it is really responsive.
Not nearly enough though sadly and the lack of direct connection between engine and box is also 'challenging'

·
Registered
130 Posts
Modern autos are fantastic and really question why (other than the added cost I guess) you would ever go manual.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Evening gents so the wife is selling her white 1.7 se manuel and wants a 1.4 se auto in orange so anyone do the swap before man to auto ,and its proving not the easy,s combo to fined

Post merged
Edited by: wellinever

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
If you're looking at spending 15k check out the deals on a new one, for not much more you could own a brand new Mokka X (though it would be amber orange) if you're buying on credit the Vauxhall deposit contribution and low interest together with a good dealer discount could make it cheaper overall than nearly new with less favourable interest rate. Edited by: MokkTheWeek

·
Super Moderator
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would think that the auto would be in the ascendancy now with its technical/fuel improvement. Cast your vote.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The last auto pug I drove (2016 model) was a robotised manual, only suitable for a clown to bounce around a circus ring in. Hopefully the current crop including those going into VX branded pugs are an improvement?

·
Registered
723 Posts
That was then, things have changed, and my car doesn't have a pug Auto box
so don't understand the relevance of saying how bad a pug box is Now, as they
don't use them on the new PSA/ Vauxhall model's
The Crossland X has an Aisin/warner, gearbox, and the Grandland X
I wouldn't have a manual given to me now, with the traffic, it is
very economical for an Auto and smooth

See info below off wikipedia

one of the major Toyota group suppliers, Aisin AW supplies automatic transmissions to 55 automotive manufacturers around the world,[1] virtually every major OEM. These include General Motors, Ford, Jeep, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Saab, VW, Volvo, Hyundai, MINI among others.[

1 - 20 of 23 Posts