Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The socket only works while the engine is running by the way. My kids use it to charge their Nintendo DS whilst on long journeys. Pretty useful imo.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A good idea which I saw earlier was, as car air freshners rarely last a long time then buy a plug in for the 3 pin socket and voila ! a nice smelling interior that lasts longer than pieces of cardboard hung on a rear view mirror.

That's what I'll be doing when I get mine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah but these plug in air fresheners are fire hazards when left on , ask any fireman! ! I wouldn't trust them in my car

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, but as Enigsol states, ' The socket only works whilethe engine is running' so I assume that means with the ignition on so it would not be on while you leave the car un attended and I personally have not heard of one of these starting a fire.
I have had them all over my house with 24 hour power going to them for years and not had any issues so I would be interested in what firemen have to say.

Surely if these plug in air fresheners were soun safe we would have heard by now and millions of them would not be on sale in supermarkets !!

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's not while ur not driving I would be worried about its the 4 hour or longer journey you could be on with no one in the back to notice it it was overheating! Just because you have been lucky in your home or haven't heard of fires doesn't mean they don't happen! I have 5 close friends who are firefighters , one full time 4 retained and all swear they wouldn't have them in there house , from what they have seen either as part of their training or at a call out! It is your choice , just passing on advice , take it or leave it really!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Like all electrical equipment, if you buy quality products which have been manufactured to the the correct standards, then there is no problem. The ones that catch fire are the cheap imitations obtained from market stalls, fleabay etc. Edited by: Jean-Luc

·
Registered
140 Posts
I asked the question about 10 months ago about what uses people have found for this socket, and the answers were very similar. Judging by this thread no one has come up with anything compelling to include this socket as everything seems to have a 12 volt equivalent already developed, so it might have made sense to just include another 12 volt point in the back - unless of course you know better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jean-Luc said:
Like all electrical equipment, if you buy quality products which have been manufactured to the the correct standards, then there is no problem.  The ones that catch fire are the cheap imitations obtained from market stalls, fleabay etc. 
Can you 100% back up those claims? No , no electrical product is 100% safe , such is the nature of the power source you using its highly dangerous in its self! Anything can go wrong with any electrical product or power source !
It's that lack of knowledge and respect for electricity that causes so many fires and costs so many life's, but you crack on

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Kenaldinio,I didn't expect this post to go where it has, but if the product bears the kite mark or UK standard mark then Im afraid Jean Luc does not have to back up his claim.
I'm assuming you own equipment with those standards on them and can you tell me if they have burnt your house down. Obviously not, or you wouldn't be posting here.
I cannot see a problem safety wise with any genuine thing with the standard marks on, they go through rigorous testing and I do not believe that any professional person like a fireman would tell you different. Your fireman friends are probably talking about foreign cheap made gear

·
Registered
118 Posts
specialk said:
Hi Kenaldinio,I didn't expect this post to go where it has, but if the product bears the kite mark or UK standard mark then Im afraid Jean Luc does not have to back up his claim.
I'm assuming you own equipment with those standards on them and can you tell me if they have burnt your house down. Obviously not, or you wouldn't be posting here. 
I cannot see a problem safety wise with any genuine thing with the standard marks on, they go through rigorous testing and I do not believe that any professional person like a fireman would tell you different. Your fireman friends are probably talking about foreign cheap made gear
Really? So you must have been there when they told me under no circumstance would they ever use any plug in air fresheners ? Strange that as it was in my own home and I don't remember you being there!
I wasn't trying to cause any problems or be an idiot looking to start an argument like some , I just felt maybe some dont realise how dangerous electricity or unsupervised products can be ! If everything that has these markings are 100% safe why would firemen also recommend you never leave a washing machine/tumble dryer/ dish washer on when you are not home?
Clearly you are invincible and fire can't touch you so you carry on living in ignorance , I hope it doesn't bite you on the ass!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not nice Kenaldinio and not warranted. It was my point of view about British standards and my point of view on a forum which forums are for. Are you nasty to everybody?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Go back and read your own post before judging others troll! Like I said I was trying to be helpful by pointing out a potential hazard! These plugs can also invalidate your home insurance if used ( some put it in small print) so I'd imagine if the worst was to happen car insurance would use it as a way to avoid paying out!
If you find me trying to save you a potential hazard nasty , I would seriously question your own character !
All the best

·
Registered
164 Posts
I appreciate your helpful comments and you trying to help with those comments were not nasty. You got nasty when you suggested I was invincible and ignorant. That's what was not nice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts