Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, good people.

About two weeks ago the Malfunction Indicator Light popped up on the dashboard of my Mokka 1.4T 4x4 (Petrol) while the engine was idling (was waiting in front of the nursery for my girlfriend to pick the little one). The manual says:

"Illuminates when the engine is
running:

Fault in the emission control system.
The permitted emission limits may be
exceeded. Seek the assistance of a
workshop immediately."

Well, I didn't seek the assistance of a workshop immediately. I decided to order an OBD2 ELM 327 Bluetooth scanner dongle and read the stored error code/s myself using my phone and the excellent Car Scanner Pro app. But, by the time it arrived from Amazon (which was a 4 days later), the warning light on the dashboard had dissappeared. A very strange fact (or just my imagination playing games on me), but while the warning light was on the car felt a lot more powerful, responsive, as if it had 20-30 BHP more, and I felt like a boy racer driving a completely different car. No rough idling or any problems what-so-ever, just noticed that the revs were dropping slower when I lifted my foot from the gas pedal and the MPG suffered a bit, it was definitely using more fuel.

So, before even using the OBD scanner I was expecting some kind of fault with an O2 sensor/lambda sensor or with the catalyst.

The dongle arrived and the only error code stored (to my surprise) was P1101: Mass Air Flow Sensor Out of Self-Test Range. The freeze frame also indicated that I've driven 15 miles with the warning light on. I did a bit of reading online about that code and it usually indicates that the voltage of the sensor is not quite right, so basically just a faulty sensor. But if that was the case, why would the warning light disappear in a couple of days?

When I look back at the timing of the events, I can't help it but notice that the warning light popped up when the outside temperature was below zero for a couple of days in the mornings when I usually start the engine, and it disappeared 4 days later when the weather got milder.

Coincidence? I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Cheers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds like it could be an intermittent fault , possibly a loose/faulty wire in the plug in connector throwing a voltage error , I'm having a similar problem with the post cat O2 sensor , throws a fault code when cold and wet , clears and is ok in the dry ..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts