Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my diesel Exclusive in Boracay Blue and have an urge to enter my first post.

Traded in a Freelander 2 and thought I would do a quick comparison in the hope it is useful to someone.

Cost new - mokka wins, similarly specs £7k difference.

Size - depends on perspective , FL2 big and solid, Mokka smaller but still fits 5 adults.

Comfort and Drive - FL2 was a smooth relaxing drive on motorways but big and wollows in the town and country lanes. Mokka can be a bit twitchy on the motorways and feels the uneven roads, in the town and country roads it feels much easier to drive. Mokka engine in notably noisier, I will get used to it ......so will call this a draw.

Off road - can only assume FL2 will knock the socks of the Mokka cos it is built for this, but have never been off road and don' intend to.FL2 wins.

Snow and ice- FL2 was great at getting going, however, at stopping it was just as useless as any other car, in fact you got a false sense of security which caught me out on several occasions. Don't forget if the cars in front are stuck you can't move anyway.Mokka is yet to be proven, but with the money saved I intend to buy a set of winter wheels and tyres. It does has 4 wd but only comes into action when slipping. I see this as an advantage as it won't eat as much fuel.

Looks - FL2 is long in the tooth and needs a re-hash soon. Mokka looks fantastic, not too big to be seen as a Chelsea tractor, stylish lines and for me, just the right size.Mokka wins.

Running Costs - Don't believe the MPG on the FL2, says 46mpg average,I got an average of 33 going to work on a 20 mile a-road route with little traffic no matter how a drove,Touched 40 on a long motorway drive at 65 mph.
Road tax of £170 and insurance premium of £450 per year.
Mokka, early days on MPG but hopeful of getting around 50mpg to work and 60mpg on the motorway, after reading the forum, sounds like I have a very good chance.Road tax £100, insurance quote at £230. If I had got the 2wd then this would be even better, but the only choice I had in the colour I wanted was the 4x4.
Mokka wins.

So, overall, and its only my personal analysis, the Mokka wins it for me, based on the fact that it will be cheaper to run, I like the shape better, the wife loves it, and if diesel keeps going up, the large 4x4's will become harder to sell in the future.

Other notes for future buyers - haggle hard and check if you qualify for the vauxhall partners discount, many companies are listed and with the wife working at Tesco we got a good discount.I just got the paperwork out and calculated I totalled 18% off list, not all of this was the Tesco discount though.Can't be bad.
Vauxhall are struggling with demand, local dealers are being told they are going to be limited to 4 cars a month. This is great for those who have bought one, as it will keep the resale values high for some time.
Try and get the space saver spare thrown in, vauxhall charge around £300 for this if order after sales, I see they might be other options after reading this forum.

I did compare it with other cars, and here are my quick thoughts...
Qashqai - needs a refresh, mpg figures good on paper but poor when you read honest johns realmpg website. Also more expensive and too common on the roads.
New kuga - has gone a lot bigger, close to FL2 territory. Great styling, expensive and thirsty.
Skoda Yeti - had one, loved it, very postman pat shape. Mokka feels bigger and gets better mpg. Needs updating. Probably the best return I ever had on a car, bought for £21k, had for 2.5 years, traded in for £17.5k.This is my only worry with the Mokka being a vauxhall.....hope it doesn't follow the usual depreciation.

I am sure I will follow up with some other likes and dislikes in the future, just hope this post was useful to some.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great honest review, thanks for taking the time to post it. Pick up mine today, same colour as yours, exclusiv 4x4, 17 Cdti. Cant't wait!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Vauxhalls charge about £200 odd for a space saver wheel and kit, see other posts,

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nice to see a review which compares the mokka to a full size 4x4. Many of he points appear to be valid and may stand up. Yet to see on the mpg side. I also have the Awd or at least I will have when I take possession of it in the near future and will also be considering the winter tyres come next winters snow and ice season.

·
Registered
572 Posts
great review

·
Registered
264 Posts
Excellent review.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts