Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

MY FUEL CONSUMPTION!!!

33K views 67 replies 39 participants last post by  MokkaKen 
#1 ·
Right, so these are my figures for my 1.7 CDTI FWDafter my first full tank of fuel.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Diesel price was £1.39 ltr on both occasions.

On the 24<SUP>th</SUP> January I filled up with Diesel with 166 miles on the clock.

Filled up with 46.27 Ltr (10.2 Gal)
Costing £63.34

I then did another 402 miles and filled up again on 29<SUP>th</SUP> January

Filled up with 49.47 Ltr (10.9 Gal)
Costing £67.72

As you can see I put in aboutthree quarters ofa gallon more on the most recent filling howeverthe needle before filling was actually slightly higher than on the first filling!!! The difference I would estimate to be 20-30 miles which would then coincide with the DCI reading of 44mpg give or take.

According to this and the estimated difference because of the apparent discrepancy in the amount of fuel that was put in it would seem that I have only got 41mpg which I am not very impressed with considering the published combined figure of 62.8mpg or even the lowest figure for Urban which is still 52.3mpg!!!

I know that this will get slightly better as the engine beds in and I have still reduced my cost per mile from my previous car which was 20ppm to 14.6ppm which even with this starting and hopefully lower consumption figure saves me £2.70 per day just getting to work (50 mile round trip) which is also £675 per year using 250 days per year.

Due to the above I can therefore estimate that the red line is just under a gallon so I will have approx 40-50 miles when the gauge gets to the red.

Look forward to seeing what the next tanks gives!!

See less See more
#2 ·
When you filled each timedid you "brim" the tanktill the pump cuts off or were you going on fill till the needle shows full? The needle across it's full sweep is not always that accurate. So 1/2 full one day can be several litres out to 1/2 full another day. It is a gauge rather than a calibrated instrument. Thats why 1/4 full is always a bit of a gamble before the red light comes on.

When I check miles per gallon I brim the tank then set the odometer to zero. Then when I refill I brim the tankagain andcheck the litres against the odometer reading. Then you know the exact litres to the same reference point and the miles covered by those litres.

As you rightly say it should improve as the engine beds in but it seems to have a bit of catching up to do if it's going to achieve the Government figures which are always optimistic to real world driving conditions anyway.

Edited by: Flat Eric

#3 ·
Glassy said:
Right, so these are my figures for my 1.7 CDTI FWDafter my first full tank of fuel.

On the 24<sup>th</sup> January I filled up with Diesel with 166 miles on the clock.
Filled up with 46.27 Ltr (10.2 Gal)
Costing £63.34

I then did another 402 miles and filled up again on 29<sup>th</sup> January

Filled up with 49.47 Ltr (10.9 Gal)
Perphaps its my maths but
Full then 402 miles and used 10.9 gallons
402 miles divided by 10.9 gallons = 36.9 mpg

Am I missing something?

#4 ·
The first tank i think i was slightly more cautious. The nozel fully inserted "click" then a few more clicks. The second tank was with the nozel almost not in at all at the end andkept going until there was a very slight overspill. "Brimmed"

I did reset the odometer afterboth fuelings and was at 402 when ifilled the second time.

I will be "Brimming" again next time!!!

#5 ·
Blum said:
Glassy said:
<O:p></O:p>

On the 24<SUP>th</SUP> January I filled up with Diesel with 166 miles on the clock.<O:p></O:p><O:p></O:p>
Filled up with 46.27 Ltr (10.2 Gal)<O:p></O:p>
Costing £63.34<O:p></O:p>
I then did another 402 miles and filled up again on 29<SUP>th</SUP> January <O:p></O:p>
Filled up with 49.47 Ltr (10.9 Gal)<O:p></O:p><O:p></O:p>

Am I missing something?

Its probably my maths!!! I wasincluding theestimated discrepency of 20-30 miles

#8 ·
Glassy said:
Blum said:
Glassy said:

On the 24<SUP>th</SUP> January I filled up with Diesel with 166 miles on the clock.<O:p></O:p><O:p></O:p>
Filled up with 46.27 Ltr (10.2 Gal)<O:p></O:p>
Costing £63.34<O:p></O:p>
I then did another 402 miles and filled up again on 29<SUP>th</SUP> January <O:p></O:p>
Filled up with 49.47 Ltr (10.9 Gal)<O:p></O:p><O:p></O:p>

Am I missing something?

Its probably my maths!!! I wasincluding theestimated discrepency of 20-30 miles

After working out what i did again and to clarify i was using the first tank fill as my reference which was 10.2 gallons and 425 miles to estimate for the slight discrepency

#10 ·
Well first mpg figure was 61 mpg after 200 mile

Now covered 735 miles and Worked out again filling tank plus three clicks on the pump and
It's worked out at 57 mpg. Trip computer says 55mpg so not far off.
Ill be pleased if it stays like that. Mixture of town and A1 driving.

#11 ·
Went out for a run yesterday in 1.7 cdti SE and having stopped briefly for a short brake I decided to reset to zero the average MPG on computer 1 for the 30 mile run home. When I arrived home it was indicating 65.7mpg and 31.5 mph.
A few things to note though --- The engine was fully up to temperature when I set off, the journey was all on good rural roads with only one small town to negotiate and lastly I was trying like hell to get the best mpg. The average mpg 2 is showing 54.5 which has not been reset since I got the car 300 miles ago. Here's a challange --can anybody beat 65.7mpg over 30 miles????????

#13 ·
Right...so ive now filled up again thans to a trip to Brighton on the weekend and here are myfigures:
Total Mileage -1035
Miles since last fill up - 455
Quantity of fuel to fill to the brim - 55.35ltr
DIC says 45mpg

Must be my driving style!!!

If anyone can be helpful with the maths it would be appreciated as im sure im doing something wrong or at least i hope so!!

Thanks

#16 ·
It would seem as though i am a victim of living and working in London then!!! Even at 45mpg im still better off than the 28mpg i was getting in my last car but i would have hoped to be getting at least 50mpg which is still at the lower end of the published figures

#17 ·
Glassy said:
Right...so ive now filled up again thans to a trip to Brighton on the weekend and here are myfigures:
Total Mileage -1035
Miles since last fill up - 455
Quantity of fuel to fill to the brim - 55.35ltr
DIC says 45mpg

Must be my driving style!!!

If anyone can be helpful with the maths it would be appreciated as im sure im doing something wrong or at least i hope so!!

Thanks
Well Glassy afraid it's worse than 45 according to your figures. 55.35ltrs=12.175gallons, so if you covered 455miles on 12.175galls = 37.4mpg. Have you got lead in your right boot?

#20 ·
So here we go again!!!!

Did my bit of Brimming again this morning!!!

Total Mileage -1478

Miles since last fill up - 443

Quantity of fuel tobrim - 51.36ltr

DIC says 43mpg

Is 43 correct?????

Im certainly nowhere near what the published figures are and although i am a little dissapointed about that i am also very aware that for the same cost of fuel i was only getting 5 days and 300 miles from my old car so i am still happy overall

I have tried to be more conservative with my driving and it doesnt seem to make that much difference anyway as most of my journeys are start/stop in traffic in London and because of that the Eco Start/stop system doesnt kick in as it apparantly knows not to bother

#23 ·
That's the thing, I don't really drive that madly. I have a 13 mile journey down the M1 each way 6 days a week and sometimes I "may" go over 70mph *cough* but other than that I can't really drive to aggressively as I'm normally in traffic!!!!

#25 ·
Glassy said:
That's the thing, I don't really drive that madly. I have a 13 mile journey down the M1 each way 6 days a week and sometimes I "may" go over 70mph *cough* but other than that I can't really drive to aggressively as I'm normally in traffic!!!!
Hi Glassy, how quickly does your engine warm up? If it's like mine it takes about 6 or 7 miles so if yours is the same then half of your daily commute is with a cold engine. Not only is this when most engine wear takes place but also the car will be gobbling fuel till it gets hot. Not very good for a modern engine.

#26 ·
tosher said:
Glassy said:
Hi Glassy, how quickly does your engine warm up? If it's like mine it takes about 6 or 7 miles so if yours is the same then half of your daily commute is with a cold engine. Not only is this when most engine wear takes place but also the car will be gobbling fuel till it gets hot. Not very good for a modern engine.

It is about 6-7 miles yes which i was REALLY surprised about as i dont remember my other diesels taking that long to warm up!!! With the cold weather at the moment its been pretty harsh as with my petrol car it was warm before i even got on the M1 which is just over a mile away from my home and now im half way down the M1 before its properly warmed up!!! Should have giot the heat pack!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.