Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked my new Mokka up on friday and have been out as much as I am able to gently run it in, its showing 61.1mpg, highly impressed
it will be interesting to see the mpg over a longer period

·
Registered
241 Posts
That's interesting? I've had mine about three weeks, done around 1000 miles and it's only showing 46mpg which is not impressive! And I don't have a heavy foot at all. Might have to do some proper checks when I'm back next week.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am impressed with the MPG.

There are 2 MPG readings on the car, in the normal display you have the instant MPG figure then if you use the twisty toggle on the LH stalk it will take you to average.

On a good run mine is getting low to mid 60's but if you go into the average it will give you anywhere from high forty's to low 50's. My car is 3 months old with about 3.800 miles on it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just travelled back from Oxford to North Kent and averaged 67.2mpg at its peak it was reading 69.2mpg, do pleased as punch! Most of the journey was on cruise control

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
running in at 55mph

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
only picked it up on 1.3.13 and decided to run it in, I know you dont have to do that in todays cars but thats just my way and thats why I was doing 55mph. I am still convinced it does the car good in the long run.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think the 55MPH is the key here, I've noticed on motorway runs that increasing speed from about 55/60 to 70 does increase fuel consumption quite a bit. I recently did a 70 mile each way motor way trip and in one direction with the Cruise control set at 70mph I averaged 59.7mpg. On the return trip home I set the cruise at 60 mph and averaged 64.7 mpg (but it did of course take me 10 minutes longer). I think you would have to go at a pretty sedate pace to achieve the 70.6 mpg the brochure quotes for extra urban driving.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your right of couse, I was heading for 70pmg after a longish run until I reached a long incline to the top of the North Downs in Kent then it went down to 67.2mpg. Have a 200 odd mile run arranged for Thursday and same back Sunday so that will be a good test at 60mph

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is setting a standard speed on cruise a good idea with such a new car. You should ideallyvary the load on the engine when new, ie. no constant speed in the one gear.I am trying to find where I read this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
jcol said:
only picked it up on 1.3.13 and decided to run it in, I know you dont have to do that in todays cars but thats just my way and thats why I was doing 55mph. I am still convinced it does the car good in the long run.
jcol

I found this on page 114 of the Mokka PDF User Manual

"During the running-in period fuel and engine oil consumption may be higher and the cleaning process of the diesel particle filter may take place more often. Autostop may be inhibited to allow for charging the battery."

Although it doesn't actually say what the 'running in period' is.

When I got my current car from new 3 years ago, the manual suggested certain rev limits for the first 1000 miles, admittedly that's a petrol and not a diesel engine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
one of my main reasons for buying was the fuel consumption

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
your right about varying the revs in the very early stages, after about 450 miles I started to use cruise control on the motorway with the occasional acceleration as needed to cope with the traffic. The main issue is to keep the load off the engine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So far I'm not impressed with fuel consumption. My average reading with about 1200 miles done is around 40mpg. I did better than this in my 7 year old Skoda Octavia! I've actually been realy trying to drive for good mg but doesn't look like its working. My wifes new company V40 Cross Country is doing more than 60mpg and she doesnt have light right foot!

·
Registered
817 Posts
DaveW said:
So far I'm not impressed with fuel consumption. My average reading with about 1200 miles done is around 40mpg. I did better than this in my 7 year old Skoda Octavia! I've actually been realy trying to drive for good mg but doesn't look like its working. My wifes new company V40 Cross Country is doing more than 60mpg and she doesnt have light right foot!
Take your foot off the brake whilst accelerating at the same time then. Lol

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it would be useful if readers were able to set out there experiences of fuel economy etc, giving size of engine, distance, fuel and whether cruise was used, any takers?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Fuel is expensive so I don't wonder that most people look to get the best MPG possible. However I have an alternative view, and I don't believe I'm in a minority of one, which is that I haven't a clue what MPG I'm getting and I don't particularly want to know. I buy a vehicle I like that is practical and that I enjoy driving and that's it! I will however check just before I PX my current iX35 what my average has been over the last 2 years just out of curiosity. When my Mokka arrives I won't be checking that either - I shall be averaging the same mileage as I always do (on local trips) spread out over the year, which means I fill up once per fortnight. Fuel tank is approximately the same size so only if I thought there was a real problem would I be tempted to check.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have only covered some 608 miles (TechLine 1.7 diesel, 2WD, manual).Trip computer showing average MPG of 55.7. No cruise control used. ECO button on and start/stopworks flawlessly.
Most journeys under 15 miles, mainly rural and small towns. Only 2 journeys of about 50 miles each, again mainly rural and small towns. No decent steady runs on motorway.
So really way too early for me to have a good idea, however, very pleased so far assuming computer is accurate.
Only filled tank once since purchase, came with piss all in the tank, thanks Evans Hellshaw. So over 600 miles on first tank and still showing 140 mile range left in tank. So looking very good so far.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I will be starting an official mpg thread soon in a similar way to the build list one.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts