Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
The above spare wheel will function better than the space saver, unfortunately it will also be illegal, it is illegal to have odd sized tyres on the same axle on any road vehicle, the only exception being the manufacturers approved "temporary spare". Buying and fixing one of the "max 50 KPH" stickers and keeping below that speed will decrease the likelihood of being nicked, but the spare wheel/tyre combination is still not to manufacturers approval and carries a risk. And yes, the law is an ass!
Thanks for that piece of useful info MokkTheWeek... The law indeed is an ass if it's happy that a tyre a little over 12cm wide contact patch and over 4 inches less diameter is a better option than a tyre which is the same width contact patch as the factory fitted item and just over 2 inches less diameter. I know which one I'd prefer to fit should an emergency occur.

Just saying!

:confused:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Many thanks all.Fully agree with securing the wheel (and jack items). In addition to the safety issues of a loose cannon in the boot in the event of an accident, I really don't want it all bouncing up an down during normal driving!

I now havemore confidence to proceed with ordering the wheel (with jack) from an ebay source and save myself ~£100, whilst only then needing to source the ~£8 securing bolt from the VX Superstore. Hopefully the 'wing nut' or securing clamp I have from a previous Vectra will be of the same thread and can be repurposed. If not I'll buy that as well.
Do you have the correct part number for that one? I too will need to get one fitted :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, new to the forum. Looking for suitable spare wheel size that would suit 215/55/R18 that is on the car
and if it would fit in the boot well. I've been told vauxhall sell 125/70/R16 size which is over 4 ins smaller
than the 18in on the car ? Is this correct ? Ian.

Thread merged

·
Registered
541 Posts
That’s the right space saver .it is small but legal .they are cheaper on eBay .
Cost a fortune from dealer .i got mine of eBay .you can get the foam inset with tools from pentagon Sheffield they sell through eBay .i got the tyre and tools for £150

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi, new to the forum. Looking for suitable spare wheel size that would suit 215/55/R18 that is on the car
and if it would fit in the boot well. I've been told vauxhall sell 125/70/R16 size which is over 4 ins smaller
than the 18in on the car ? Is this correct ? Ian.Thread merged
I have the 18" wheels on mine and I bought a T125 / 70 R16 spare which fits OK. I also had a T115 / 70 R16 wheel off an Astra which would be a bit on the small side but would probably do at a push only thing the wheel centre would need to be widened slightly to fit over the Mokka hub.

Took some photos for comparison.

Mokka Spare Wheels (5).jpg

·
Registered
541 Posts
They are ment as a get you home and get the other repaired ASAP .not drive around with it on for days on end like some people do .thats why they are smaller and take less room and weight

·
Registered
116 Posts
What you're interested in is the standing height of the wheel and trying to get it fairly close to the standard wheel..

Examples for spare wheels and tyres:
125 x 85 x 16” Height = 24.4”
125 x 70 x 16” Height = 22.9”
115 x 70 x 16” Height = 22.3”
125 x70 x 17” Height = 23.9”

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,
What's the biggest space saver tyre you can fit in the spare tyre space?

My tyres are 18in and to my understanding you can't fit full size tyres can you?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
According to one of the old threads, a full size wheel can be squashed in with the tyre deflated, to be inflated when needed with the compressor from the gunge kit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can it be secured in the housing too? As I've read some say the screw hole doesn't align or something?

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a space saver wheel kit and it is properly secured in the boot. Because the wheel well is carpeted I have to deflate the tyre by a few psi to get to sit correctly. I have a compressor in the car. As far as the size- it is not full size but I would have to check to confirm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Which in your opinion is the best option, get a space saver or get a full sized tyre and just let the air out?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I would probably just get a space saver, if a full size tyre is squashed in, it will probably be fine if you come to use it in a few months, but how about if you don't need it for a couple of years?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Point taken.
What are all the items I need - part numbers, as I heard you tend to have to buy the locking nut on its own etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
878 Posts
21 - 40 of 55 Posts