Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all . I have just purchased a space saver wheel and tyre it s a16 inch wheel with a 125/70 R16 continental tyre on . The tyres on my Mokka are 215/55 R18 having got it home there is a good 4 inches of difference between the spare and the tyre on the car but if the tyre was any bigger it wouldnt fit diameter wise into the wheel well . Why do they make things so confusing ? Thankyou

·
Registered
218 Posts
It does make you wonder! Look at the amount of space wasted under where the spare wheel well is, they could have easily made it big enough for a full sized wheel. I have 19" alloys on mine so looks even weirder. Loads of posts on the forum about the emergency spare.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The wheel well in the boot is not designed to fully accommodate a full size spare, you can put one in there but have to let the air out the tire for it to fit properly. The space saver spare is okay to use and hence it also has a 50 mph limit on it, so really a get you home or to a tire fitter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers I suppose the difference in diameter is basically the same as running on a flat tyre. Definitely to get you to the nearest garage

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just a mealy mouthed cost cutting exercise by 90% of the car makers...nothing to do with space saving or weight saving. They don't give a toss about the inconvenience caused by not having a full size spare as standard, and the useless repair gunk they leave in the boot is a sick joke. I'm surprised the EU haven't intervened to stop this practice.

Edited by: Vron

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, New to this group.
My newly purchased used 14 Plate Mokka does not have a space saver spare wheel. And do wish to at least have the option of using one, rather then being wholly dependantupon gooey gunge or a long wait for the RAC. Whilst appreciating the issue of runninga 16" wheel spare with 3 x18" alloys(for emergencyget you home purposes) I have three questions that I would be grateful for help with please.
I have been researching sources of the spare wheels with associated tool kit that will match the 105mm PCD of the Mokka's 5 stud/bolt hubs.Annoyingly none of the suppliers I have found so far quote this crucial spec. Instead, at best, they simplyclaim to be 'compatible' withthe Mokka range.Is anyone able to confirm that the various advertised compatible options ARE compatible in this respect?

Can anyone shed light on how to secure said spare wheel into the boot's wheel well please? Mine is fully carpeted at present, and I would not want to remove any of it until know how much or how little of the carpet I DO need to remove or make an incision into, in order to attach a retaining bolt -- and to what.

Finally, from where can the retailing bolt and flanged nut be sourced?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,I bought a new spare off ebay, with Vauxhall Mokka info on it so I'm pretty sure it will fit. I haven't actually tried it though but It will possibly add to the fun if I get a puncture.
As to how to secure it. I had the same question. I chose not to bolt it down. It just sits in the wheelwell under its own weight plus it has the bootfloor stuff above it. I think you can buy some sort of bolt etc but when I asked at the dealers I think they said that the ones with a spare wheel don't have any carpet. I'd rather have the carpet and not bother bolting it down. Maybe others can confirm or otherwise.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Forgot to add, make sure you have a jack and a wheelbrace (mine came with the spare wheel). As Vauxhall want us to put the gunge in then take it to a VX dealer they don't provide a jack or wheelbrace with the car (cost cutting).

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are getting the space saver i would recommend obtaining the screw and nut to secure the wheel
If it is not secured and an accident happens it could take off and land anywhere.
I obtained my spacesaver, wheel and nut from Vauxhall Superstore. I cut a 2" square of the carpet to take the screw for the wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many thanks all.Fully agree with securing the wheel (and jack items). In addition to the safety issues of a loose cannon in the boot in the event of an accident, I really don't want it all bouncing up an down during normal driving!

I now havemore confidence to proceed with ordering the wheel (with jack) from an ebay source and save myself ~£100, whilst only then needing to source the ~£8 securing bolt from the VX Superstore. Hopefully the 'wing nut' or securing clamp I have from a previous Vectra will be of the same thread and can be repurposed. If not I'll buy that as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Space saver tyre size

I have recently purchased a used Mokka space saver 125/70/16 tyre on it
I have 18" wheels and it looks ridiculously small. Is this the correct tyre size
Or should it be 125/90/16 the bigger tyre wall to make up the wheel size
Difference ? And then will it fit in the wheel well. Also are the space saver wheels interchangeable for whichever year 2013-2018 ie all the same?

Post merged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I’ve recently purchased a 2018 Mokka X. 1.4 turbo. Love the car but I need to get a spare wheel / space saver. I read somewhere on this site that an Astra J or K space saver will fit a Mokka? Is this true? I’d really like if I didn’t need to spend so much on a spare.

The dimensions of my wheels are:
Tyre: 215/55R18(95H)
Rim: 7j x 18 ET38
PCD: 5 x 105
Centre Bote: 56.6 mm

If not, is there any others that may fit?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
I hate the emergency tyre inflation glue they have, most of the time the tyre is ruined and needs to be binned even if the puncture can be repaired.

A new space saver spare costs way too much for what it is, so for £60 I bought a good as new 18" alloy wheel to match the rest of the car and I'll be fitting a lower profile 18" tyre than the standard 55.

Of course I measured up the max size of the available spare wheel well before deciding on a tyre size. At least this way in the event of using the spare it'll only be a couple inches smaller than the original tyre so shouldn't look too out of place. If the measurements are spot on, it'll go in easy once I receive the tyre and fit it to the spare rim.

215/55R18 is 693mm circum.

125/70R16 space saver is 582mm circum.

215/40R18 (alternative) is 630mm circum.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The above spare wheel will function better than the space saver, unfortunately it will also be illegal, it is illegal to have odd sized tyres on the same axle on any road vehicle, the only exception being the manufacturers approved "temporary spare". Buying and fixing one of the "max 50 KPH" stickers and keeping below that speed will decrease the likelihood of being nicked, but the spare wheel/tyre combination is still not to manufacturers approval and carries a risk. And yes, the law is an ass!

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Very good advice regarding the legality of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You could get nearer the the size by fitting 125/90/16 to your space saver bigger circumference
And just fixes in your wheel well but of course wheel securing bolt doesn't line up. Some of my friends
Have gone this route with a Mokka.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts