AFL in my brand new Mokka. It is dangerous to drive at night and so is
not fit for purpose.
Everywhere I travel at night I am flashed by oncoming and following
drivers headlights. It is stressful, humiliating, demoralising and
dangerous.

There is no way of manually lowering the hightlight levels, which would
cure the problem. There is no option to turn the AFL off, which again
would solve the problem. Instead I am dazzling other drivers, making
their journey unsafe and causing them stress and anger.

I am so happy with every other aspect of the vehicle. But ultimately it
should be deemed as unsafe and not within the restraints of the law.
Does anyone know what is being done to rectify this problem?
Is it a software or hardware fault?
Are they going to put a recall in place?

</tt></pre>

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Beanie - Many other owners have experienced the same thing. Vauxhall know there is a problem and so should your dealer. Latest information is that all Mokkas built before 16.10.2012 are liable to this fault. All those built afterwards have been fixed. There's plenty of info here is you want to dig around, but the short answer is to go back to the dealer to get the fix applied.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just realised that I didn't say 'Hi' to other members, just shared my disgruntlement.

I do love my new car (only collected on Wednesday this week). It is so sturdy, powerful, comfy, easy to drive and reassuring.... in the daytime that is.

I have just returned from a long drive, with family members on-board. Throughout to 1.5 hr drive on the A1 and other A & B roads I was flashed constantly. There was nothing I could do, the lights are automatic. High beam wasn't on and the AFL had been previously set. One driver was that annoyed with me that once I overtook, he put his high beam on constant until another vehicle caught up.

As everyone knows, it's so exciting to get your new car.... I couldn't sleep to night before!
This is just so disappointing. It turned a wonderful day visiting my daughter at uni, into the stressful, humiliating and demoralising ordeal I mentioned in my first post<tt>.
</tt>
I have emailed Vauxhall customer care with my issue, so lets see what they say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much theforestdweller, that has reassured me. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hi Beanie, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about that. Hopefully yours is just a Mokka that was made before the 16/10 and for whatever reason hadn't had the fix applied. Xenons by law have to have automatic levelling systems (ironically to prevent people from setting them wrong manually) as well as headlamp washers. To all these unsympathetic drivers maybe you should give the a blast of the full beams just so they know how bright your lights can be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you members for your support. I am going back to the dealers today, hopefully to arrange for the fix to be applied. But without your comments I wouldn't have known there was an issue with pre Oct built Mokkas.
Ironically my husband works for Perry's Vauxhall and is now feeling really bad because he recommended the car. I am a little worried because he has already spoken to their mechanics, who didn't give any indication they knew about AFL issues or fix.
I'll keep you posted....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes this is a good website and is great for people finding out pros, cons and teething problems.

As for your husband working for Perrys. Unless its a reported problem to the dealer by people like your self they would not of known about it.

I hope with his position he can find out more about it.

Andy

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Nothing wrong with recommending it, it's a good car just with any new model there will be bugs to be shaken out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts