Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just put brake pads in rear could anyone tell me before I do anything else dos handbrake self adjust it I pump pedal or is it adjusted manually under drinks holder.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You should have wound the rear calipers back and made sure the handbrake mechanism on each side was back against the caliper stops before you replaced the pads. After you've rebuilt it the automatic adjustment mechanism inside each piston caliper should take up the free play and move the pads into close proximity to the discs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should have wound the rear calipers back and made sure the handbrake mechanism on each side was back against the caliper stops before you replaced the pads. After you've rebuilt it the automatic adjustment mechanism inside each piston caliper should take up the free play and move the pads into close proximity to the discs.
I've just done mine and it's relatively simple. The caliper piston has to be fully wound back into the caliper. I used a pair of long nosed pliers. Make sure the slots in the piston will line up with the two little metal pegs on the rear of the caliper.( in line across the body of the caliper).. It doesn't matter if you do both brakes together or one side at a time. The important thing to remember at this stage is DO NOT OPPERATE THE HANDBRAkE LEVER YET . Once the caliper is all put back together, get into the car and work the brake pedal up and down until it feels solid. Whilst you have your foot firmly on the footbrake pedal THEN pull up the handbrake lever. It will come up several clicks and then stop. Hey Presto your hand brake is correctly adjusted. . I think the adjuster under the centre console is used if a cable has to be replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi thanks did the winding back thing my mate did it with a tool he had so all's well thank you all for your advice it was much appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've just done mine and it's relatively simple. The caliper piston has to be fully wound back into the caliper. I used a pair of long nosed pliers. Make sure the slots in the piston will line up with the two little metal pegs on the rear of the caliper.( in line across the body of the caliper).. It doesn't matter if you do both brakes together or one side at a time. The important thing to remember at this stage is DO NOT OPPERATE THE HANDBRAkE LEVER YET . Once the caliper is all put back together, get into the car and work the brake pedal up and down until it feels solid. Whilst you have your foot firmly on the footbrake pedal THEN pull up the handbrake lever. It will come up several clicks and then stop. Hey Presto your hand brake is correctly adjusted. . I think the adjuster under the centre console is used if a cable has to be replaced.
You completely miss the vital part – the part about setting each parking brake lever adjustment at the calliper so there is no more than 2 – 3mm free play from being at rest on the stops to being engaged with the pads and discs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi just put brake pads in rear could anyone tell me before I do anything else dos handbrake self adjust it I pump pedal or is it adjusted manually under drinks holder.
Like you said under drinks holder adjusting nut on threaded portion

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Like you said under drinks holder adjusting nut on threaded portion
The cable should only be adjusted after the callipers have been properly adjusted, and never enough to pull the calliper levers off their stops, incorrect adjustment of the cable will result in a tight handbrake lever but low handbrake efficiency.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The cable should only be adjusted after the callipers have been properly adjusted, and never enough to pull the calliper levers off their stops, incorrect adjustment of the cable will result in a tight handbrake lever but low handbrake efficiency.
I have just read the service manual, for mokka, and can find no mention of you having to adjust calipers, the only thing you don't do is interfere with brake mechanism inside rear calipers, check manual for yourself

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have just read the service manual, for mokka, and can find no mention of you having to adjust calipers, the only thing you don't do is interfere with brake mechanism inside rear calipers, check manual for yourself
I didn't suggest there are manual adjusters, this thread is about how to adjust the rear callipers after fitting new pads, the callipers are adjusted by operating the brakes in such a way that the self adjusters remove excess free play, adjusting the handbrake cable to take up excess travel is an error that will result in a tight handbrake lever but inefficient handbrake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts