Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autocar have just posted this up on their website;

Vauxhall has responded to stinging criticism of its new Mokka compact SUV by re-specifying and retuning the car's suspension and steering systems to suit British roads and tastes. But those first in the queue will need to be vigilant to avoid buying a car built too early to benefit from the changes.

Having believed the standard European-spec Mokka to be suitable for the UK during the early stages of development, Vauxhall was forced into a hurried retuning program at short notice, after verdicts landed from the first press drives of the car last month.

""We were disappointed by the first press reports on the car,""� said Vauxhall Motors Managing Director Duncan Aldred, ""but quickly concluded that the suspension tune of the car wasn't good enough.""�

A team lead by Vauxhall vehicle dynamics manager, Gerry Baker, was tasked with bringing the car up to scratch dynamically, and has this week had the resulting revisions signed off. They consist of a stiffer steering gear mounting bush, a new software calibration for the car's electromechanical power steering, and re-rated dampers for the suspension.

UK-specific dynamic tuning is usual for most new Vauxhall models. It's normally finished well before cars are launched to the press, but in the Mokka's case, was delayed by slow right-hand drive supply from GM in South Korea. The delay was just long enough, says Vauxhall, to provide an opportunity to react to press criticism and retune before executives were due to sign it off this week.

There will be no post-launch re-tune for the new Adam ""˜fashion' supermini, however. UK Adams are due to get their own power steering software calibration, but will ride on the same suspension settings as European cars, which can be equipped on either ""˜comfort' or ""˜sports' springs.

And, while the vast majority of UK Mokkas should be built late enough to be fitted with the updated parts, when Autocar asked the question, Vauxhallcouldn'tguarantee that very early UK cars ordered as dealer demonstrators or for dealer stock won't slip through the net. A spokesman stopped short of confirming that there would be no erroneous right-hand drive examples in the UK at all, but did say that ""individual customers ordering at or after the car's official showroom launch later this month are certain to benefit from the revision""�.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hmmm, I'll definitely be putting the brakes on

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Ooh interesting.
I wonder where I stand if I like the Mokka and order it (with factory fit options) with Alphabet after tomorrow. Hopefully it would be far enough down the queue to have the enhancements. Due to the lease on my current car I can't put off ordering something for much longer.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The title of the thread is Autocars - not mine btw.

How would we know / tell if we had the revised version or not? And in the real world - would it matter?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hardly likely to be a recall as this is not a safety issue. Dealers won't be happy though if enough customers are savvy enough to insist on the revised specification. I assume then that all the early demonstrators will be the unmodified version. I shall hold off ordering until I have been able to try the "new, improved" recipe

·
Registered
39 Posts
And here is a quote from autocars first test of the Mokka in Germany

"We drove a near-production 1.4 turbo 4WD prototype on sinuous and occasionally rutted roads near Frankfurt and were distinctly impressed. Vauxhall's head of chassis engineering, Gerry Baker, says one of his chief objectives was to make the Mokka flat-riding and comfortably car-like on normal roads where it will do 99 per cent of its driving.

That's what we found. Not only did the suspension feel supple and keep the car very flat, but it was also quieter over bumps than other small SUVs. Throw in alert steering, strong mid-range urge from the 1.4 turbo engine ""“ whose note when revved is distinctly sporty ""“ and you have a car likely to challenge the Juke and the rest"........That pretty much sums up my test drive
Rather confusing don't you think?
on the one hand they are saying the suspension is supple and quieter over bumps than other small suv's THEN its a case of "MOKKA NOT GOOD ENOUGH"

Left to these motoring journo's i think the horse would still be our main mode of transport

Edited by: nikkko

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just been the dealers and gave them the Autocar item, and put our order on hold, until they find out moredetailsMonday.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Going to drive one on Sunday at the Fast Forward Event, if I'm happy then well go forward with the order.

As you say, could just be Autocarsensationalist piece and us mere mortal will find it fine.
<h1>
</h1>

·
Registered
633 Posts
Perhaps the EU setting would suit some UK drivers and roads better than the modified one.
I've seen better roads in third world countries than some of those around here.
The Sun - 10th
August 2012 -
"Chief engineer Gerry Baker says the Mokka's suspension and electronic power
steering has been tuned for British roads to give a balance to suit a
diverse range of drivers"
<div style="overflow: ; color: rgb0, 0, 0; : rgb255, 255, 255; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">Autocar this week -
" Gerry Baker , was tasked with bringing the car up to scratch dynamically,"
Do other manufacturers bother?
Are they just reacting to the ramblings of journalists (on Hamburg Roads)? Were Autocar short of copy this month?
Lets see what Dan gets back from Lutons PR department.
DONT PANIC CAPTAIN MAINWARRING!
WhatCar has reviewed the revised car
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2013-vauxhall-mokka-review-updated/263027
Also mentions revised door seals.

Lets not be Mokka Knockers until we see for ourselves.

Edited by: Blum

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
One if the guys at the FastForward event said that he thought all the diesels would have the UK changes on them due to their later delivery dates.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
In sure AutoExpress said in the latest magazine (has the Adam on the cover) that there was something on the Mokka's changes on their website but I can't see it.

Well done Dan for volunteering to deal with the PR department. Lets hope they give a decent response.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi all, well I pre-ordered my Mokka early in October and was given an ETA week commencing 4th January. Now i've checked my order schedule and the ETA has changed to week commencing 11th January; I wonder if this week delay has anything to do with the changes Vauxhall are implementing, hmmm.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Auto Express mag dated 24 - 30th Oct has a review of the Mokka and reads -

The ride and handling are impressive too. It has decent grip, a soft yet well damped ride and good body control.
This was a UK car too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ordered mine mid July and contacted dealer
As I was concerned over changes

According to salesman my diesel car isn't affected but more
Info on the way to confirm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When we went to
theFastForward event on
Sunday 11th and I made a point of talking to someoneofficiallyfrom Vauxhall. They
were very knowledgeable about the Mokka design, parts and this current quality issue
was known to them.

They
first told me that when the Mokka was firstreviewedby the UK
magazine reporters the cars that were used were all Vauxhall Mokka'showever
it appears they were all runningthe Opal orEuropeanspec for
ride and handling. This raised the issues of steering and dampening so they are
having to re-running that event for the UK magazines with the UK spec Mokka's.

The issues are.

Steering, non UK
spec cars tend to have asteeringsetup which allows a small dead spot
in the steering.So moving the steering wheel left or right slightly will
results in no change in direction at the wheels. This however is not the normal for UK buyers as we tend to drive faster down narrower roads so we don't normally have any damping of thesteeringinput. In
order to change this it's a software change on the Mokka which can be done at
the dealers and will be done to all new cars before delivery.

2. Damping issues with the ride. It
was explained that theEuropean spec setup causes the Mokka ride to be a little
bit more bouncy when going over our roads than what is expected in the UK. This
is due to rear dampers rates and in some part the front dampers. In order to
fix this the rear dampers have to be replaced and I believe some changes to the
front set. This can be done at the dealers and should only take a few hours. I believe this will not be done unless requested.

So more than likely if your going have a
early car it's going to have the European setup and later cars with have the UK
setup.

As a result of our chat, I've stopped
my late November Mokka as it was a dealer stock car anyway and ordered a car for Jan/Feb 13 which will include these changes, partly for the reason above and mainly
because I didn't like thecolourwe had picked.

Edited by: Moss

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks Moss, for the comprehensive update. I'm glad you managed to find someone specifically from Vauxhall -my problem was that I didn't know about the Drive team until the test drive.

So what we need to know really is at what point the dampners will be the UK ones and how to identify them.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Autocar have just posted up a new review with the revised steering. They sayall UK-bound, right-hand drive Mokkas built on the car's Korean production line from early next year will get a stiffer steering gear mounting bush, a special software calibration for the electromechanical power steering and re-rated dampers for the suspension.

A full road test will be forthcoming. For now though, suffice it to say that Vauxhall's dynamicists have made a discernable and worthwhile improvement to the way the Opel Mokka rides and handles.

The maker lined up pre- and post-revision examples of the car at its Millbrook engineering centre for us to try. Over mixed surfaces around rural Bedfordshire, the latter one demonstrated a telling improvement in chassis compliance, contributing to a more settled and absorptive primary ride over uneven backroads.

The way the car steers has been markedly improved too. The spongy feel and inconsistent weight of the European-spec car's wheel has been addressed. There's clearer precision around the straight-ahead, and more a fluent sense of control as you wind on lock.

The net result is a car that just goes where you point it much more comfortably and obligingly; that has just enough give in the suspension to deal with most testing of British surfaces, but still has a pleasing sense of poise and slickness about it.

Full write up here:http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/vauxhall/mokka/first-drives/first-drive-review-vauxhall-mokka-14-turbo-4x4-tech-line

1 - 20 of 25 Posts