Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 68 plate Mokka 1.4 petrol has a random issue which I hope someone help with.....
Having always had a 1.6 or bigger engine I find that the Mokka is somewhat more prone to stalling if not given enough revs on hill starts or in hurried drive-offs.
However, the stalling isn't the problem; it's that sometimes after a stall, the engine cannot be restarted - as if the clutch isn't depressed. It doesn't happen often but typically always with an impatient queue behind. It's only happened about eight times in the 6 months I've had it, less so now as I'm now careful to over-rev but I still get caught out.
I can't say I've noticed if it happens after the auto-stop-start has attempted (and failed) or had an immediate re-stall.
I initially tried removing/reinserting the key, pressing pedals etc but it wouldn't start.
I read on a forum somewhere about some electrical circuits remaining active after the ignition's turned off and only going off when the driver's door is opened so in desperation I tried that and on the twice I tried it, I was able to restart manually straight away.
I'm beginning to think it could be something to do with the auto-stop-start; as if it's "getting confused".
I had it into the dealership and got the usual chocolate fireguard response and of course if the fault isn't apparent they can't fix it.
Has anyone any knowledge of this or similar effects that I can use to argue my case?
Davy

·
Banned
899 Posts
A 1.4 turbo prone to stalling, on take off, ????, If it is trying to cut out on take off it
sounds like another has got through the net and needs a software update, installing
Ask your dealer does it have the latest software update in it TSB3346, TSB is a technical
service bulletin software update, sent from Vauxhall to dealerships to remove the launch
control, software, installed at the factory, which causes cuts in power on start off and
other associated problems

·
Banned
899 Posts
Your Welcome
The not starting bit is not usually a fault of the update, wondering if the clutch pedal is
also sticking down a bit, which is another fault, or the switch needs adjusting, if you mean
nothing happens when you turn the key, at all, try pulling the clutch pedal up with your
foot, as far as it will go and try again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry DSM, I thought I'd responded to your reply. It only happens after a stall and even then not very often. Thought of the clutch pedal and had already tried that (and if it was that I'm sure it'd happen more often and not just after a stall).
I've posted this on three forums and so far nobody's come back with the same issue (so far) so I'm wondering if maybe it is a hardware fault as a software bug would affect more vehicles.
Dave

·
Banned
899 Posts
The software update affected all, 1.4 mokka X manuals stalling on take off, you need to
have it checked, too rule it out

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 68 plate Mokka 1.4 petrol has a random issue which I hope someone help with.....
Having always had a 1.6 or bigger engine I find that the Mokka is somewhat more prone to stalling if not given enough revs on hill starts or in hurried drive-offs.
However, the stalling isn't the problem; it's that sometimes after a stall, the engine cannot be restarted - as if the clutch isn't depressed. It doesn't happen often but typically always with an impatient queue behind. It's only happened about eight times in the 6 months I've had it, less so now as I'm now careful to over-rev but I still get caught out.
I can't say I've noticed if it happens after the auto-stop-start has attempted (and failed) or had an immediate re-stall.
I initially tried removing/reinserting the key, pressing pedals etc but it wouldn't start.
I read on a forum somewhere about some electrical circuits remaining active after the ignition's turned off and only going off when the driver's door is opened so in desperation I tried that and on the twice I tried it, I was able to restart manually straight away.
I'm beginning to think it could be something to do with the auto-stop-start; as if it's "getting confused".
I had it into the dealership and got the usual chocolate fireguard response and of course if the fault isn't apparent they can't fix it.
Has anyone any knowledge of this or similar effects that I can use to argue my case?
Davy
Hi Davy,

I've see your post from 2019 and was wondering if you ever managed to get to the bottom of your issues as my wife's Mokka has done the same thing twice in the last month?
It's had new spark plugs and the TSB 3346 at the end of July.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
2016 Mokka 1.4T SE 4X4
96 Posts
Hi Davy,

I've see your post from 2019 and was wondering if you ever managed to get to the bottom of your issues as my wife's Mokka has done the same thing twice in the last month?
It's had new spark plugs and the TSB 3346 at the end of July.
My Mokka is a 2016 SE 1.4 (B14NET), which has had very few stalling issues since new, and on the occasions it did stall would restart (itself) with the clutch pedal pressed. It has been little used in recent months, however since the last service in May on three or four occasions the engine has stalled and would only restart with the key after the ignition had been switched off.

At first I thought I must be mistaken, the next time I made sure it definitely wouldn't restart 'on the clutch'. The inter-operation of the stop/start and the air con fan seems to have changed as well, so I'm beginning to think it's a software update (or even rollback) which occurred with the last service. I hadn't got round to following it up as yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi @Aztech , thanks for the reply.

I actually think it's a number of things that all meet a certain criteria as follows:

So, the TSB3346 is in place and increases revs on pulling away, I believe that a combination of that including high revs from cold start and the stop/start function could possibly over fuel the cylinders. This over fuelling could possibly wash away oil from the pistons/cylinders and so there is no compression. The result is that with the clutch pressed down and the ignition turned on, the engine will crank but does not catch and start up. Later, after some time had passed, it started up.

This is only my theory, expert help would be good. The first time it happed the RAC guy found no faults and said on cranking that there was a spark and the fuel pump was working and I think he also said that there was a signal from the crankshaft sensor.

Any input would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Mokka 1.4T SE 4X4
96 Posts
So my problem differs in that there is no cranking until the ignition has been switched off and on again. In the past various things would restart a stopped or (so I thought) stalled engine - pressing the clutch, rolling forwards, opening the door etc. The first time it happened I was going down a hill and stopped in traffic - it did not restart as I rolled forwards, or when I released the clutch.

After restarting on the key I assumed I must have not been rolling fast enough, or it was a just a one off glitch possibly due to rolling forwards with the clutch down, but it has happened two or three times since, each time requiring a key start.

At all other times the stop start is functional, but the stop now switches off the booster fan, and I'm sure the fan used to inhibit the stop start.

·
Registered
2016 Mokka 1.4T SE 4X4
96 Posts
My 68 plate Mokka 1.4 petrol ........... is somewhat prone to stalling ..........
However, the stalling isn't the problem; it's that sometimes after a stall, the engine cannot be restarted - as if the clutch isn't depressed.
Davy

Steve
The O/P described having no cranking after a stall, so your problem seems different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ah yes @Aztech , reading it back I think you're right.

Just thinking to my problem and when it occurred, does the stop/start only work when the vehicle is completely stationary or will it activate if moving/coasting very very slowly?

p.s the Hill Start Assist only works on steep hills, could this all be connected?

·
Super Moderator
BR 3 car pacer. 10 litre turbo diesel
3,587 Posts
Ah yes @Aztech , reading it back I think you're right.

Just thinking to my problem and when it occurred, does the stop/start only work when the vehicle is completely stationary or will it activate if moving/coasting very very slowly?

p.s the Hill Start Assist only works on steep hills, could this all be connected?
The handbrake needs to be on and the clutch out for stop start to work,

·
Administrator
10,547 Posts
On the auto the stop/start is only connected to the footbrake.

Reactions: Fredave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes it will
Yes it will
No it won't, fueling is controlled by e c u, the E c u doesn't stall, my opinion, is that a lot of drivers on here don't know how to get on with stop/start, engage stop/start, drive down road, stop at traffic lights on red, if green carry on, ha, ha, stop at lights, handbrake on, gear in neutral, pointer in stop start, lights change, press clutch pedal, engine starts, into first gear, handbrake off, drive, away don't use ignition key to restart car, simple, that's how mine works anyway, vauxhall mokka.1.6,petrol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts