Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi out there.
I've recently changed from a 17 plate Mokka 1.4 Auto to a 71 plate Mokka e - completely different beasts.
I came to put a dash cam on the "e" today but couldn't find a suitable earth near the fuse box.
Has anyone else out there found a useful earth on an "e"?
If so, what and where did you use?
Also, has anyone successfully managed to remove an A pillar interior trim - there seems to be a fixed clip in the middle that just doesn't want to come apart.
Any constructive answers would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have read more than once that dashcams should be earthed right back at the battery but have no idea why.
Maybe it's only for certain situations or higher end cams.
It would be interesting to know what you're fitting and how and where you're running the wires. I plan to do the same with mine at sone point.

Gaz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gaz.
I have fit and hardwired quite a few dash cams in the past.
When I came to buy my Mokka e I had asked that they supply it with the Road Angel Halo Pro (front and back) but the dealer said they couldn't, as they didn't have a qualified auto electrician on site at the moment.
So I purchased a Halo Pro and their specific hardwire kit.
Routing everything was easy - I like to cable tie my cabling to existing cabling to stop rattling
The only issue I had was the A post/pillar interior trim, which I really didn't want to damage and the trim panel around the bonnet release lever.
Access to the fuse box was good but the metalwork around the fuse box area did not provide an earth, when checked with my multimeter.
I could splice into the cabling to the 12V socket but I really would rather not, with the car being less than 2 weeks old

·
Registered
295 Posts
Some Vauxhalls have a little badge or emblem in the centre of the panel, remove it with a small screwdriver then there’s a Phillips head screw behind it. Typical Peugeot A pillar trim panels have two plastic friction-type fittings to hold it in place, just use trim panel removal tools to pop it off and hope for the best. You’ll need quite a bit of force.

You’ll probably find a little lanyard attached to the trim panel to stop it flying off if the side curtain air bags are activated. Be sure to reattach it when you replace the panel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some Vauxhalls have a little badge or emblem in the centre of the panel, remove it with a small screwdriver then there’s a Phillips head screw behind it. Typical Peugeot A pillar trim panels have two plastic friction-type fittings to hold it in place, just use trim panel removal tools to pop it off and hope for the best. You’ll need quite a bit of force.

You’ll probably find a little lanyard attached to the trim panel to stop it flying off if the side curtain air bags are activated. Be sure to reattach it when you replace the panel.
Cheers
Unfortunately the new Mokka (2020-) doesn't have an emblem or blank - some have the Airbag emblem but I'll get my trim tool in there and see what I can do.
With a lot of Japanese cars (Toyota and nissan) there is a clip that you have to wrist 90 degrees to release it from the A pillar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hi again.
The A post trim came off with a little more encouragement this morning - there is a strong steel clip that fixes to another strong steel fastener.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Hood Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper
The trim has the airbag lanyard that you mentioned and once the clip arrangement is separated you can slide the lanyard away from the trim.
Now just to find a good earth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts