Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase the 1.7 diesel mokka however I have read about the PDF. Does anyone have any experience of this, how often is the warning light likely to light up, I would appreciate any feedback as this may put me off the purchase

·
Registered
313 Posts
Early DPF's where a nightmare but they are slowly getting better...
If you only ever do town driving, simply dont buy the diesel, it needs a good run up motorway every so often to keep filter clear.

Most the time now if they do clog up and lights come on, a good thrash down motorway sorts them out to be fair. Can be expensive if they go belly up though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter - warning light will only come on if the filter is getting full. This will only happen if you do lots of short runs and the unit does not get a chance to regenerate and burn off the trapped particulates. Basically if you run the engine enough to warm it up then this is an automatic process. I do 38 miles each way to work and home five days a week and the light has never come on because the engine warms up and burns off the trapped particulates.

Should the light come on then you either need to take the car on a run, preferably down a motorway, and engine will warm up enough to regenerate the unit, or run it at 2000 RPM or above for a few minutes if stationary. In this case you will probably see smoke coming out the exhaust.

Have a look on You Tube and you will see people who have filmed this.

I understand that if you ignore the warning and do not clean out the filter as noted above you will need to get the filter cleaned out by a garage and this is not covered by warranty, but you should never reach this stage.

As my wife only drives two miles each day to her work, she deliberately bought a petrol car as the engine never gets a chance to warm up, especially in winter. I also make sure it gets a good run at the weekends and sometimes take it to work, so that the engine gets a chance to fully warm up and burn off all the corrosive chemicals which are produced by the combustion process.

I am not an expert and others may give you a more technical answer, but that is my layman's take on it and I have been driving diesels for 30 years, although DPFs have only been fitted to diesel cars in recent years. I have never had a DPF warning light come on and have never had any issues with a DPF.

There was a bit of a scare story about this on a TV consumer show last year, but it concentrated on people living in London where they were driving a couple of miles to the Tube station each day and didn't get a chance to give the car a decent run at the weekends as they also had supermarkets/shopping centres etc near to hand.

·
Registered
165 Posts
look under my username or search in the right corner. a few months ago i had a spurt of lots of regens and it got me worried. turned out i just wasnt using her as should be. every now and again i take her on a long run and it sorts her out! it is worrying sometimes what other people think of oyu though when your in town and she decides to do a regen and everyone is clouded in smoke!

·
Super Moderator
9,677 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Timeless said:
Ormesome said:
look under my username or search in the right corner. a few months ago i had a spurt of lots of regens and it got me worried. turned out i just wasnt using her as should be. every now and again i take her on a long run and it sorts her out! it is worrying sometimes what other people think of oyu though when your in town and she decides to do a regen and everyone is clouded in smoke!

Thanks! I'll take a look!

P.s - please don't refer to your vehicle as a she..

I saw your review video...Im guessing yours is a "dude"?!

Edited by: Ormesome

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am about to purchase the 1.7 diesel mokka however I have read about the PDF. Does anyone have any experience of this, how often is the warning light likely to light up, I would appreciate any feedback as this may put me off the purchase
steer clear of the deisel mokka i have a1.6 ecoflex the pdf has cost me 2000 punds in the last 4 years and it is in again today, another hefty bill i have been told

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would not have another diesel if they gave it me .forever having trouble with the dpf .unless you are running up and down the motorway every day .i would get the 1.4 t petrol not bad on fuel .diesels are on there way out

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I suspect this advice may be falling on deaf ears, Robinson Song asked his question seven years ago :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
In 2015 I called the RAC 3 times in 6 weeks through DPF or ERG problems. It wasn't a Mokka but same applies. Since then petrol. Next electric -if they sort out logistics. Can I afford it? No idea.

·
Super Moderator
9,677 Posts
The contributing factor in most cases when buying a vehicle is mpg. When it states 50+mpg, regardless of the mileage they do or where they drive that is the car purchased. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts