Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mokka 2014 petrol engine. I have had loss of coolant on and off for months have taken it to the garage on 3 occasions had a piece replaced on a pipe then told then was nothing wrong with it. Now the coolant is disappearing on even short journeys water was on my driveway took to garage again to be told head gasket has gone will cost 1000 to repair is this all linked ? Thank you.

·
Administrator
10,731 Posts
There are many reasons for loss of coolant as a quick search in the "Search Community" will reveal. I would suggest you take it to another reputable establishment to confirm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What can you see in the engine bay? You should be looking for signs of staining or evidence of spray. If the head gasket is at fault, you may be able to see evidence of seeping between the bottom of the cylinder block and the crankcase. Is there are milky coloured creamy deposits under the oil filler cap or on the dipstick? Where are you based?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
There is a simple test for head gasket failure causing the water loss, any garage that does MOT tests will be able to do it for you without a big bill, take the filler cap off the coolant header tank, cover the hole with a cloth, run the engine at 3000 rpm for five minutes, make a small gap in the cloth and insert the tip of an exhaust gas analyser, an HC reading of over 100 will confirm a failed head gasket, if it's really shot the HC reading will go nearer to 500/600, if this test shows a low HC I would seriously consider all other sources of water loss before considering replacing the head gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What can you see in the engine bay? You should be looking for signs of staining or evidence of spray. If the head gasket is at fault, you may be able to see evidence of seeping between the bottom of the cylinder block and the crankcase. Is there are milky coloured creamy deposits under the oil filler cap or on the dipstick? Where are you based?
There is no water in the oil my dad has been checking this but can only drive about 2 miles and coolant tank is empty can actually see water leaking from under car. The car is on finance my options are limited but getting a 2nd opinion thankyou.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have car finance, speak to Citizens Advice about your options with the finance provider as you do have consumer rights. MokkTheWeek’s advice was also useful and a process I was unaware of although if your dad’s found no evidence of the coolant mixing with water, I’m less inclined to think it’s the head gasket. If you’re anywhere near Chesterfield I can recommend a couple of different garages (not Vauxhall).

·
Banned
899 Posts
Common fault's are, the header tank cracked, the thermostat housing cracked, the 'o' rings
leaking where the pipe goes in to he heater, Water pump leaking, all possibilities and need investigating
before ploughing in to change a head gasket, which isn't common

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have car finance, speak to Citizens Advice about your options with the finance provider as you do have consumer rights. MokkTheWeek’s advice was also useful and a process I was unaware of although if your dad’s found no evidence of the coolant mixing with water, I’m less inclined to think it’s the head gasket. If you’re anywhere near Chesterfield I can recommend a couple of different garages (not Vauxhall).
thank you I will get 2ndopinion and will definitely contact citizens advice all.of this advice is really helpful

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
Can anyone help? I have just been told my 6 year old Mokka needs Head Gasket replaced. It done 60K. I have looked at the signs and can say the only one I have is having to top up coolant more often. The interior heating is first the stop. When I take off the filler cap the empty tank starts refilling and shows it has enough water. Once I restart the engine, the heat is back and temperature back to normal. Oil colour and amount has never been a problem.

Do you think it is the HG or something else?

Thank you

Post merged.

·
Administrator
10,731 Posts
See post #5 which maybe helpful.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Hello,
Can anyone help? I have just been told my 6 year old Mokka needs Head Gasket replaced. It done 60K. I have looked at the signs and can say the only one I have is having to top up coolant more often. The interior heating is first the stop. When I take off the filler cap the empty tank starts refilling and shows it has enough water. Once I restart the engine, the heat is back and temperature back to normal. Oil colour and amount has never been a problem.

Do you think it is the HG or something else?

Thank you

Post merged.
At the moment you have an air lock in your cooling system, have couple of litres of the correct coolant at the ready, with the engine cold remove the filler cap (and leave it off throughout this procedure) set the heater to hot, top up the header tank, start the engine and hold it at 2000/3000 rpm, keep your eye on the header tank, when the header tank level drops allow the engine to idle while you refill it then go back to holding the revs at 2000/3000 do this until the engine is at normal temp, the radiator feels hot and the heater is working normally, allow the engine to cool and finally check and top up the header tank, only now re-fit the cap. If the water loss continues check out post #5

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

I have a Mokka x 2019, petrol 1.4. Having lots of problems with the coolant levels. I noticed the car temperature gauge rising- so checked coolant levels and coolant tank was completely dry. Already not a great sign. Filled it up with appropriate coolant. Drove it 2 miles and over half of the coolant had disappeared. At this point I returned it to the main dealer as it was still under warranty- I drove it there, upon arriving lifted the bonnet to a coolant tank with that was left in there boiling and steam pouring out of the filler cap. Car was booked in and thermostat was replaced- supposedly fixed. Car was dropped off to me, check coolant on arrival, bubbling a little through the bypass but nothing major. Wait for it to cool- less than half full again. I returned again to the main dealer, I was told this coolant loss is normal and nothing is wrong with the car and it is in fact fixed (had many problems, this in in fact my second mokka from them. The first had rear seatbelt warning issues that couldn’t be fixed despite being sent back 4 times, I eventually got an exchange). I refused to drive the car off the forecourt and they agreed to get an independent Vauxhall dealer/ mechanic to look at this. I have called them personally and my local trusted mechanic who have assured me the car should not be loosing this much coolant- it’s used around 4L this week! Absolutely no visible leaks under the car etc. Any ideas or advice very welcome!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
If the water is not visible on the outside it must be leaking internally, maybe i to the sump. Have you check the oil level? Ask the garage to put a sniffer in the header tank? Has to be going somewhere.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Got to loosing it to somewhere.is it coming out of the overflow pipe cause by back pressure.
I have not put any coolant in for 3yr .so 4ltr a week is not normal do you have any other local dealers to get a second opinion

·
Banned
899 Posts
As stated above in post No9

Leakage area's are, the header tank cracked, the thermostat housing cracked, the 'o' rings
leaking where the pipes go through the bulkhead to the heater, Water pump leaking, all possibilities and need investigating

1 - 20 of 40 Posts