Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mokka 2014 petrol engine. I have had loss of coolant on and off for months have taken it to the garage on 3 occasions had a piece replaced on a pipe then told then was nothing wrong with it. Now the coolant is disappearing on even short journeys water was on my driveway took to garage again to be told head gasket has gone will cost 1000 to repair is this all linked ? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
There are many reasons for loss of coolant as a quick search in the "Search Community" will reveal. I would suggest you take it to another reputable establishment to confirm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What can you see in the engine bay? You should be looking for signs of staining or evidence of spray. If the head gasket is at fault, you may be able to see evidence of seeping between the bottom of the cylinder block and the crankcase. Is there are milky coloured creamy deposits under the oil filler cap or on the dipstick? Where are you based?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There is a simple test for head gasket failure causing the water loss, any garage that does MOT tests will be able to do it for you without a big bill, take the filler cap off the coolant header tank, cover the hole with a cloth, run the engine at 3000 rpm for five minutes, make a small gap in the cloth and insert the tip of an exhaust gas analyser, an HC reading of over 100 will confirm a failed head gasket, if it's really shot the HC reading will go nearer to 500/600, if this test shows a low HC I would seriously consider all other sources of water loss before considering replacing the head gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What can you see in the engine bay? You should be looking for signs of staining or evidence of spray. If the head gasket is at fault, you may be able to see evidence of seeping between the bottom of the cylinder block and the crankcase. Is there are milky coloured creamy deposits under the oil filler cap or on the dipstick? Where are you based?
There is no water in the oil my dad has been checking this but can only drive about 2 miles and coolant tank is empty can actually see water leaking from under car. The car is on finance my options are limited but getting a 2nd opinion thankyou.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have car finance, speak to Citizens Advice about your options with the finance provider as you do have consumer rights. MokkTheWeek’s advice was also useful and a process I was unaware of although if your dad’s found no evidence of the coolant mixing with water, I’m less inclined to think it’s the head gasket. If you’re anywhere near Chesterfield I can recommend a couple of different garages (not Vauxhall).

·
Registered
796 Posts
Common fault's are, the header tank cracked, the thermostat housing cracked, the 'o' rings
leaking where the pipe goes in to he heater, Water pump leaking, all possibilities and need investigating
before ploughing in to change a head gasket, which isn't common

Reactions: Mishmag123

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have car finance, speak to Citizens Advice about your options with the finance provider as you do have consumer rights. MokkTheWeek’s advice was also useful and a process I was unaware of although if your dad’s found no evidence of the coolant mixing with water, I’m less inclined to think it’s the head gasket. If you’re anywhere near Chesterfield I can recommend a couple of different garages (not Vauxhall).
thank you I will get 2ndopinion and will definitely contact citizens advice all.of this advice is really helpful

1 - 12 of 12 Posts