Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
flash22 said:
The X14XE and Z14XEare a cambelt engine as I have had the same engine in 2 cars I have owned and ihave built a tuned engine, withVernier pulleys and custom ground kent cams, port, polished and flowed head<div abp="1390">
<div abp="1391">The twinport was designed to meet the euro4/5 spec that's whenthe 1.4went over to cam chain what's a different design, A14NET is a design as a turbo engine its vastly differently
<div abp="1391">
<div abp="1391">Anyhoo. there is no water in the oil or oil in the water, the gaskets have been modified over time, with the amount of the cam chain engines out there from the 1.0 up to the 1.8 there would be no end of complaints if the issue existed in any real number
<div abp="1391">
<div abp="1391">regarding engine modelnumbers they are linked to the age and/or euro spec there are plenty of references on the net inc wiki's
<div abp="1391">
<div abp="1391">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_0_engine1st genengines are small displacement up to 1.2 the Z series are euro4/5 specengines
<div abp="1391">
<div abp="1391">The early 1.4 (X14XE) was a GM Family 1 and has a cambelt, I owned a 54 plate corsa (facelift) with a Z14XE (fly by wire)
<div abp="1391">
<div abp="1391">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_1_engine
<div abp="1391">
<div abp="1391">
The X14XE and Z14XE are no relation to the present B14NET. As you have said both X14XE and Z14XE are cambelt Family 1 engines. The B14NET is a direct descendant of the Family 0 (1996) engine.
The twinport is a second generation of the Family 0 engine. The 1.4L (Family 0) engine did not "went over" to chain. All Family 0 engines are chain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_0_engine
"Originally debuting as either a 1.0 Lstraight-3or 1.2 Lstraight-4; a 1.4 L I4 variant was added with the introduction of the second generation, replacing the 1.4 LFamily 1engine."

I have recently rebuilt a 2005 Z12XEP engine. Yes not 1.4L but it is exactly the same engine, with a few updates (turbo, a few modifications, software) as the Mokka X 1.4L standing on our drive.
Family 0 engines are from 1996 (I thought 1995) time for a change.

Edited by: Fred7

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just to give you all an update.

The dealership replaced the Turbo Coolant Pipes. The service manager then tested for 500 miles.

No charge was made for the work.

We have now had our car back for a week. No burning smell and the coolant is remaining stable.

So hopefully, she is finally repaired. Fair play to the dealership, I would dare say that many dealerships wouldnt have wanted to know.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This topic makes interesting reading. Just before Christmas on a freezing morning I had no heating in my Mokka Auto 15 plate. I remember something similar happening to a car I had years ago so checked the Coolant and it was low. Topped it up and heating then a few weeks ago a similar thing happened to the extent that last week I was topping it up every other day. Took it to my Vauxhall Dealer Wednesday and they diagnosed Turbocharger Coolant pipe leaking. They had to order a part but got it back today. 6 weeks of warranty left so no charge. Hope that's the end of it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just had Green flag out who are convinced it was condensation from air con unit dripping onto heat shield.
Im taking it to garage on Wednesday for them to look at on the ramps just to check.
Thank you to everyone who replied and offered solutions and advice

·
Administrator
10,731 Posts
Members are sometimes not that quick.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Coolant Loss

Coolant has been leaking from our 1.6 petrol Mokka, it was leaking from the outlet of the heater matrix on the bulkhead in engine bay (top hose). The 'O' ring had perished inside and when the engine was hot you could see the coolant escaping from the quick connector on the return feed pipe (top hose). I ordered a new quick connector and fitted it, flushed the coolant out and refilled with 3 litres of VX red antifreeze and 3 litres of water. All was good again with no coolant leaking from there.

I thought that was it all fixed, but today I took a look and the expansion tank was nearly empty again, the new connector was all dry, so its still leaking somewhere else.

I originally called my Vauxhall dealer but they said that the leaking 'O' ring was not covered under the lifetime warranty as it was classed as a hose (They are not covered under the warranty). I could repair this myself and it would not invalidate the warranty as the part I was replacing wasn't covered by the warranty.

I can't see coolant visibly leaking from anywhere else, does anybody have any ideas where to look next ?

I'm guessing that I will have to book it in for them to investigate, but will probably end up having to pay for that!

41 - 60 of 98 Posts