Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

LED bulb replacement

12K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  DietCokeBloke 
#1 ·
#3 ·
You need to becareful with Led bulbs on new cars.

With all new cars they run on a CANBUS systemwhichis a high and low voltage frequency. So as the LED bulbs use a lot less voltage the car thinks the bulb is out or faulty and dose not work.

So before buying make sure they are CANBUSCompliant.

#8 ·
You can.

I think these are the ones you needhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R580-7443-W21-5W-GEN-2-CANBUS-27-SMD-5050-LED-BULBS-WHITE-/271003154785?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f190bf961

How ever you will also need this resistor to make them work http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBC-RESISTOR-FIX-LEADS-LED-R580-W21-5W-/271003217989?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f190cf045

But what i would do is give them a ring and make sure they are going to work. But with the Mokka being so new i doubt they would know.

#12 ·
I changed the OErear indicators on my Low tech Defender for some long life anti vibration LEDs & it did the rapid flash warningas ifthey wereblown. A heavy duty resistor wired in line to eachcured it. No more blown bulbs for me. I did the rear number plate light & a work light in LEDs as well & fitted an extra rear foglight & reversing light.
Little pimple rear lights

Much safer brighter LEDs

#13 ·
#14 ·
'xenon' type bulbs are not that great, you either get blueish (from the coating on the bulb more than anything) or just same old yellowProper xenon bulbs with starters and ballasts attached etc you would never get in sidelight setup.

LED for low output bulbs is about best way to go really - just a case of getting ones that don't upset the car (that said the cheap Ebay special LED's I stuck in front of antara dont have any bother)

Edited by: Andy_H

#16 ·
I tried to swap my reverse lights with LED bulbs. I got ones to fit, the reverse are not on CANBUS.

I wasnt too happy with the outcome. The bulbs were not a tight fit and I didnt want them falling out of the housing into the light cluster. Due to the LED bulb being a beam and not a flood it didnt give a better concentration of light and the lens itself distorted the light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.