Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had to take 'er indoors Nissan to anationaltyre fitting company, they were cheapest online price to match and fit existing tyre.I wont say which one.
Watched the FITter KWICKly roll a trolley jack under the sill of a Peugeot 307 and jack it up with nothing between the trolley jack saddle and the car sill.
When he let it down I could see the sill had buckled.
Since then I have in each car an ice hockey puck.
Why you ask, I have drilled a hole that I have cut to form a channel that goes between any trolley jack and jacking point.
Well used this one!

See our rear jacking point on this thread
http://www.mokkaownersclub.co.uk/forum/mud-flaps_topic779_post10988.html
Black 4oz puck on EBay £1.10 +p&p.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Who's a clever p**ker then?
Sorry had to be done. Do I get away with it?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Blum,

I learnt a long time ago the firm you mentioned are not the cheapest and certainly not the best! My Vauxhall garage does a price match and also gives a discount

·
Registered
767 Posts
Same company put a trolley jack under the floor panel of a friend's car. Missed the sill altogether.

They stopped trying to raise the car when my friend pointed out that the driversseat appeared to be twisting every time they pumped the handle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guys
What sort of trolley jack did you use? Those 2ton ones sold on ebay with max height of 350mm+, are they sufficient? Id like to buy one for use on changing tyres only, hence Im looking for something cheap.
thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
davidski said:
Guys
What sort of trolley jack did you use? Those 2ton ones sold on ebay with max height of 350mm+, are they sufficient? Id like to buy one for use on changing tyres only, hence Im looking for something cheap.
thanks.

Can I resurrect this thread and ask the same question regarding scissor jack capacity. Looks to me like a standard 350mm jack will not be sufficient to raise the wheel enough off the ground.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Posted: 07 Oct 2013
Blum said:
If
you go for the Ebay one with the jack option, make sure it has enough
lift for a Mokka, I tried (lazy bu66er) to use an electric scissor jack
i've had for years and used on Nissans and Peugeots etc, would not lift
the front tyre clear of the ground and that's supposed to lift 350mm.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Blum said:
Blum said:
If

Screwfix do one that lifts to 390. Do you think the extra 40mm would be enough? I usually also use a block of wood under a scissor jack so that would give another 20mm or so.
Edited by: fokkamokka

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fokkamokka,
Was asking about this awhile ago and nobody seemed to have an answer. So I went and changed over to winter tyres myself a couple of weeks ago. I used a 2 ton scissor jack and it did the job very well(took me about half an hour though). Measured the jacked up height as I want to buy a trolley jack next time. It needs about 380-390mm jacked up height, either you buy those very expensive trolley jacks with 500mm+ capacity or I saw one on ebay, sgs brand with 380mm max height but not sure if that would be enough to clear the tire from the floor.
Ive read on other threads where other owners changed their tyres using a trolley jack but did not mention its make or height capacity?

·
Registered
77 Posts
davidski, looks like the Screwfix one should do as it goes up to 390mm. However, is only rated to 1.5 tons. Mokka weighs about that so not much room for error.

I am reluctant to use my trolley jack as there does not seem to be anywhere strong enough under the vehicle to take the strain, rather not use suspension mounting points. Do you know where you got your 2 ton jack, and did it cause any damage to the sill?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Golfnut said:
Page 176 in the owner manual may help.

Thanks. Had read that. Basically those are the same points the scissor jack uses. A lifting platform should have grooves to fit the slotin the sill. A standard trolley jack without an adapter tends to crush the sill. I boughtsome hockey pucks to modify with a groove and fit on my trolley jack, but I lost the sods.

I plan to buy a scissor jack to keep in the car with a spare wheel, yet to be purchased!

·
Registered
33 Posts
SGS Engineering Solutions have a 2ton trolley jack with case for £22.19, will lift to 380mm. Fit a rubber pad in the saddle to protect the sills, 20mm rubber pads are available. A good quality Weber 3 ton jack will cost about £120, it will come with a rubber pad on the saddle.

Edited by: Golfnut

·
Registered
135 Posts
fokkamokka said:
Blum said:

Blum said:
If

Screwfix do one that lifts to 390. Do you think the extra 40mm would be enough? I usually also use a block of wood under a scissor jack so that would give another 20mm or so.
Hi Fokkamokka, I have the scissor jack that i purchased from screwfix some time ago, actually tried it when i changed for winter wheels a few weeks back, its on the limit and looked to be twisting as it lifted the car and didnt look safe and bloody hell it was hard work, so used my trolley jack, give it a miss and use a 2 tonne trolley jack and protect the sill you will be surprised it really is strong enough and will suffer no damage or deformation, keep metal from metal to protect the paintwork 10 mins per wheel max and bob your uncle fannies your aunt job done ready for the white stuff late next week

·
Registered
77 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Hi Fokkamokka, I have the scissor jack that i purchased from screwfix some time ago, actually tried it when i changed for winter wheels a few weeks back, its on the limit and looked to be twisting as it lifted the car and didnt look safe and bloody hell it was hard work, so used my trolley jack, give it a miss and use a 2 tonne trolley jack and protect the sill you will be surprised it really is strong enough and will suffer no damage or deformation, keep metal from metal to protect the paintwork 10 mins per wheel max and bob your uncle fannies your aunt job done ready for the white stuff late next week
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info re Screwfix jack. I'll save my cash. I have a couple of trolley jacks. What did you use to protect the sill?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Golfnut said:
SGS Engineering Solutions have a 2ton trolley jack with case for £22.19, will lift to 380mm. Fit a rubber pad in the saddle to protect the sills, 20mm rubber pads are available. A good quality Weber 3 ton jack will cost about £120, it will come with a rubber pad on the saddle.

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of trolley jacks bot not sure they are up to the job so may invest in a new one.

Just checked. They are both 2 ton with maximum lift height of 346mm.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts