Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I took delivery of my Mokka on Tuesday. Its a 1.7 CDTi SE 4x4 with Navi 600 and space saver spare and so far, I'm really impressed. We had aroud 8-10 inches of snow on Friday and even with the standard tyres, I've had no problems getting out and about. The 4x4 systems works well, although I'd like a light to show when its active and hill descent control does exactly what it should. I had a Skoda Yeti a couple of years ago which was ok but was a bit 'pipe and slippers' compared to the Mokka. My only gripe is that the front end is a bit low for a 4x4 and I've caught it a few times on sitebut luckily no damage so far. Here are some pics:

Had to tow my sister in law:

Warren

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi warrenc, welcome to the club!
Thanks for the pics
Looks like you had plenty of snow to tour around in, nice to see you got some practise in pulling out a damsel in distress already
did you experience any floating feeling in driving in these winter conditions (besides from yoy lol). Reason I am asking, is that on another thread someone mentioned that when going over speed bumps he felt the car "floaty" ... and it looks like you had plenty of practise
... also when catching the front end "on site" ... was that also speed bumps or more rough terrain? Cheers, Seb

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Seb, I've not noticed the floating feeling, but I'll keep my ar*e tuned in and see if I can detect it next time I'm out. The only thing I've noticed is a juddering/vibration at speeds above approx 60mph. It feels like a 4x4 with the diff locks in. This is why I'd like a light to show when 4wd is active or some other indication. I've only done 270miles so I'll see if it settles down in time. I work on wind farms, so I was driving down a dirt track with a high muddy/grassy strip up the middle. The rubber lip on the front bumper is pretty low for a 4x4 so was dragging along the floor in places. Luckily its rubber so no damage done. I've had no problems on the road or on speed bumps (other than working as a snow plough!). Considering the tread pattern of the standard tyres seems to be designed for economy, its done well in the conditions I've been out in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks likes youve had loads of fun. Im after my mokka to go play in the snow but still have 2 months to wait so maybe next time round.

welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Someone (although with two wheel drive) has bought winter tyres. I take it from what you have done in the snow with Awd mokka that you really don't need to buy them for winter use.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Loving the photos warrenc! nice to see the Mokka getting some hard use.
Yeah the ground clearance at the front worried me. I've got the exterior pack on my old style Astra three door and would never do it again. The look isn't worth it for the amount of times you catch it on something.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I understand that Blum. It seems obvious that there would not be as much of an improvement, just wanted to know from someone know from who has actually got to use there Awd mokka in snow conditions like warrenc as to wether he thought it would be worth fitting any.
Thanks though Blum for the honest John review. Noticed that they were saying that Bridgestone tyres had developed an all weather tyre which was an improvement in winter capeability to the detriment of summer use. May think about those and do some more research when the time comes to replace the tyre in the future (due to take possession in late arch of 1.7 Cdti Awd se). I know it is early days but Has anyone seen any reports on how long the tyres are expected to last on the mokka. Some years ago I had a vauxhall frontera and I was getting (if memory serves me right) about 30,000 miles on the front and even more on he front and even more on the rear. Present car is Skoda octavia and lucky to get 15,000 miles on front.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Welcome warrenc, thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Blum, good link to the HJ article. Thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome to the MOC Warrenc!!

Looks like you had alot of fun in your new addition!!!

Supposed to get mine tomorrow so looking forward to also testing on the icerinks around my way which incidently my current car (that i am selling privately) didnt like and decided to slide me into a curb buggering up the tracking!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
They should show up on your screen as they've been posted into the thread directly. Are you getting blanks spaces or boxes with red x's in them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am getting neither LoveStallion. I have been able to see other pics on different threads but not Warren's pics and it is happening on another thread also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mokkadna said:
I understand that Blum. It seems obvious that there would not be as much of an improvement, just wanted to know from someone know from who has actually got to use there Awd mokka in snow conditions like warrenc as to wether he thought it would be worth fitting any.

The Mokka has performed well on surfaces where the snow has been compacted, but struggles with the deeper, softerstuff.I owned a Skoda Yeti for two years and had it fitted with Yokohama Geolander mud and snow tyres and the difference was amazing. I'll be fitting them to the Mokka soon. Not only are they good in winter conditions, but the have an aggressive tread for mud too.

Fitting winter tyres to any car makes a huge difference. I think they have extra silica in them so they remain soft in lower temperatures which improves grip not only in snow but on cold damp roads too. The main improvement I noticed was in stopping distances on compacted snow. If, for example, your stopping distance was 100m on normal tyres, it was reduced to at least half that on snow tyres - maybe even as much as 1/3rd. My brother had standard tyres on his BMW in the last load of snow we had and couldn't get off his drive. This year he fitted winter tyres and has been hooning about all over the place.

I tried the Mokka today in a field on a hill on site. The snow has thawed but the field was very wet and it pulled itself up the hill with not too much drama. Its amazing me how well its doing considering there virtually no grooves running across the standard tyres at all.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Thanks for that warrenc.
I shouldn't need any for a while as I don't pick mine up till end of march (if I'm lucky). I will keep a copy of this post and will look at I again later in the year when I will look to fit different wheels and tyres. Think I will get a new set of wheels also and not just change the tyres. Using two sets of tyres shouldn't work out to much cost wise as I have read that they cost about the same as summer tyres and also last about same length of time. So two sets will in the long run last as long as having to buy two sets of summer tyres. It s only he initial expense of running two sets at he same time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts