Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched in horror as my Mokka trundle past my front door driverless. It came off a curb, narrowly missing the lampost that I'd kissed the other day. Luckily it stopped without any damage. Thing is though, the Handbrake was on. True, it could have just about been pulled up one more click, but I always understood that you shouldn't put the Handbrake on to the highest possible level. Will check it tomorrow, but will leave it in gear from now on!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was taught to apply the handbrake whilst depressing the foot brake, get a better purchase

·
Registered
236 Posts
jcol said:
I was taught to apply the handbrake whilst depressing the foot brake, get a better purchase
Can you explain how you get better purchase please?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I await you technical comment Harper31

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thats scary - glad there was no damage - were you parked on a hill or something? Heard that if the rear discs are hot after a drive and they contract whilst cooling this could happen!! I always give the lever a good pull-plus southport is dead flat!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
jcol said:
I await you technical comment Harper31
Just wondering if it makes a difference. I park on a little bit of a slope so may try it also.

I usually leave mine in gear Edited by: Harper31

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gjm91 said:
Thats scary - glad there was no damage - were you parked on a hill or something? Heard that if the rear discs are hot after a drive and they contract whilst cooling this could happen!! I always give the lever a good pull-plus southport is dead flat!!!
Tiniest downhill gradient, less than 3%. Luckily I live where I do live, plenty of other roads around here are rather steep!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I never trust handbrakes, so for years i also leave it in gear, and depends which way im facing, i use 1st or reverse gear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had this happen on my Vectra twice. I parked the car on our sloped drive near the top, and when I went out to use again it was at the bottom of the drive. Looked back at my CCTV camera footage and saw the car slowly creep down the drive. The hand brake was fully on and the brakes had loads of meat left on em..

The second time the car was parked on a friends drive and went for a drive by itself, straight in to a wall on the opposite side of the road !!!!

I thought I had left crappy hand brake problems behind when I sold the Vectra...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wasn't Vauxhall on watch dog a few years back about dodgy handbrake...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes they were on watchdog and I had problems with my old Astra. Was a 56 plate. But since then I have left every thing in gear now.

·
Registered
817 Posts
psp888 said:
Wasn't Vauxhall on watch dog a few years back about dodgy handbrake...
It was theCitroen Xantia if I remember correctly, I dont remember Vauxhall.

Again this was due to the disks contracting when cooling

Best to leave it in gear.

1st gear if facing up a hill.

Reverse if facing down a hill. Edited by: Ixasio

·
Registered
767 Posts
Ixasio said:
Best to leave it in gear.

1st gear if facing up a hill.

Reverse if facing down a hill.
Park close to the kerb and turn your wheels out from the kerb facing up a hill and turn them in to the kerb facing down a hill.

Regards using thefoot brake before applying handbrake. I know on some handbrake setups when you are adjusting the free play (number of notches) that you pull it up you are supposed to pump the brake pedal a few times to centre the brakes then adjust the handbrake.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I wasrelying on my gears last week when the handbreak went totally on my Tigra.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Always apply parking brake firmly
without operating the release button,
and apply as firmly as possible on a
downhill or uphill slope.
To release the parking brake, pull the
lever up slightly, press the release
button and fully lower the lever.
To reduce the operating forces of the
parking brake, depress the foot brake
at the same time
ABOVE IS QUOTE FROM HANDBOOK

With hand brakes there has been a problem with the ratchet mechanism, which is why they say apply without pressing release button.
I had an Astra Estate run down my drive and across the road and end up in neighbors garden, with the hand brake on, so I always leave the car in 1st gear since then

Edited by: Lamp Tramp

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good point Lady Tramp, I knew I had read it somewhere

·
Registered
58 Posts
jcol said:
Good point Lady Tramp, I knew I had read it somewhere
A slight slip with the name there I am in fact a gentleman called Lamp Tramp, no offense taken, my key board has a mind of its own too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts