Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Mokka 1.4 Turbo 4x4 Exclusiv, one month ago. Both me and my wife drive it daily and we have to adjust the seat position when we swop driver. My wife is shorter than me so she has to move the seat closer to the steering wheel. This means that the driver's seat belt fitting close to the handbrake can be in a position where it fouls the handbrake, stopping release or partial release. On a couple of occassions this could have caused an accident. I notice that the passenger side fitting is mounted lower and wondered if the wrong part has been fitted. Has anyone else experience a similar situation? I am going to the dealers tomorrow as I also have a concern that the car seems to be emitting too much smoke from the exhaust and the oil life percentage is falling quickly. ( I will check the dipstick in the morning).

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi I'm also very short and drive close to the wheel. I've had a brand new mokka it's a month old now and last nite the handbrake must have failed as two hours later it was in the back of my friends car! This has never happened before and has scared me immensely as I know I applied it properly so what went wrong I wonder anyway we have left the gear in reverse as I live on a hill and park facing downwards now I know this is supposedly good practice but I'm concerned as this shouldn't in theory need to be done on a brand new car. I Shall definitely be spending more time checking in future but what scares me is I was out there ages unpacking shopping etc and the car was fine and when my friend arrived it was fine. I am going to call my dealers today and see if they can fit me in the check handbrake and gearbox ASAP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I too have just experienced the same thing this week. I purchased a new SE Mokka & collected May '13. I noticed the handbrake struggles to hold on steep hills but last week (Jan '14) I parked up at work as normal (click 3 norm holds car perfectly fine) & was on a slight decline. 10 mins later I receive a phone call from reception that my car has strolled into my colleague 's VW van! Halfords AutoCentre tested it & said it reaches MOT standard. Took it to another Vauxhall dealer to have a thorough check of handbrake & confirmed the Dealer I purchased it from has set it to the correct settings. I still don't understand how it's happened. The Dealer I purchased from said that all manufactures state in the hand book manual that they advise when parking to always leave it in gear - no where in my manual does it state this! I mentioned this to the dealer who checked over & laughed saying they've heard no such thing. I agree if one parks on steep slopes but not all the time - it's not a 1950's car!! Will be interesting to see how many more people have the same issue. Edited by: DeeMokka

·
Registered
3 Posts
it certainly will I had mine checked and they said nothing was wrong but tightened it a bit. I've also noticed that on hills when you've applied the handbrake it can sometimes tighten too much meaning I have trouble releasing the handbrake! This has happened a few times only on hills though. Could it be because they're brand new and still being broken in? Did your roll cause any damage to the vw van? Mine didn't didn't to the vw golf which I was glad about but like you I agree leaving in gear should be a thing of the past in a brand new car.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have always left my car in gear when parked - why wouldn't you? However I am sure that this would help on a sizeable incline as when ever I have parked my others car (as with this one), I have placed in gear and checked that it didn't roll at all and the applied the handbrake firmly. I checked the mokka when visiting a local hostelry one lunch time. The incline of the car park was not excessive but I did find that with the cars higher gearing it did want to roll, so I moved to the car park at the rear which was virtually level. If I was to park on a hill as nothing else was available then I would be making sure that the wheels are turned into the kerb as an extra measure.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is there not a sticker on the sun visor stating to put in gear when parked?
All my last new vx cars had this

·
Registered
196 Posts
I thought it was basic knowledge to leave your car in gear when parked, particuarly if on a hill. It is even more important with modern cars that have rear discs. The discs cool down and contract after being parked and unless the handbrake is applied fully the car will move if on an incline.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Over the years I have seen more and more people travelling along the road with their brake lights on but not actually braking. I know some are covering their brakes and not actually braking but many are which increases the heat within the discs and doesn't do the disc surface any good either. If drivers didn't do this it would no doubt alleviate the problem of the discs contracting after they had set their brakes and left the vehicle........ and yes @ Jean-Luc I agree that it is basic knowledge that vehicles should be left in gear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got my new mokka yesterday so very worrying to see posts about vehicles rolling down hills. The handbook definitely says about leaving in gear though, so will do this from now on. Only two days in of new Mokka but really loving it !!!!!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
lbattiga said:
Got my new mokka yesterday so very worrying to see posts about vehicles rolling down hills. The handbook definitely says about leaving in gear though, so will do this from now on. Only two days in of new Mokka but really loving it !!!!!

Wouldn't worry about it too much lbattiga. I have had mine since the end of April and (touch wood) have not had any problem. Edited by: Mokkadna

·
Registered
6 Posts
DeeMokka said:
Yes, I too have just experienced the same thing this week. I purchased a new SE Mokka & collected May '13. I noticed the handbrake struggles to hold on steep hills but last week (Jan '14) I parked up at work as normal (click 3 norm holds car perfectly fine) & was on a slight decline. 10 mins later I receive a phone call from reception that my car has strolled into my colleague 's VW van! Halfords AutoCentre tested it & said it reaches MOT standard. Took it to another Vauxhall dealer to have a thorough check of handbrake & confirmed the Dealer I purchased it from has set it to the correct settings. I still don't understand how it's happened. The Dealer I purchased from said that all manufactures state in the hand book manual that they advise when parking to always leave it in gear - no where in my manual does it state this! I mentioned this to the dealer who checked over & laughed saying they've heard no such thing. I agree if one parks on steep slopes but not all the time - it's not a 1950's car!! Will be interesting to see how many more people have the same issue.
Hi we got a Mokka SE in June. My wife had the same problem earlier today - parked on a ramp to a car park. She was outside the car - chatting to a colleague, and she watched the car start to roll and it went into the car park gate (fortunately only cracking the reg plate).

Both herself and her colleague both got in the car, and the handbrake was fully applied and the light was on.

Just a thought springs to mind, I've noticed a couple of times the hill assist coming on (on the dashboard) even though I've not switched it on. Just a thought that it might somehow interfere with it? Given that everyone on this forum has mentioned that nothing wrong has been found with their handbrake - I'm going to mention this tomorrow to the vauxhall garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am now wondering whether to get the handbrake tightened but don't want to create another problem not being able to release it, from what you say. Yes, it's dented a medium size area of the VW rear sliding door - damage costing £2,568! I do wonder if the garage that quoted this to my colleague, knew this could be an insurance claim & therefore, quoted hirer & for ease stating it needs a new door & side roller. In my opinion its not that bad at all & could easily be panel beaten out & two small scratches treated with new roller if needed. Astonishingly enough, front of my mokka had no damage - registration plate is all that made contact to VW van. Well, I'm defo parking my car away from others & now always leaving in gear. Leaving your car parked in gear I learnt from my father & is for extra security when on steep incline/declines & is not commonly taught by driving instructors (certainly not in my day) but having experienced this, putting into gear will now be a routinely procedure for me. Thou, what's the point in having a handbrake if you have to keep putting it into gear, its obviously not doing its job. My previous car Mondeo Zetec I had lots if probs with handbrake but once it held it never moved in all its 13yrs - we're getting more innovative technology in our cars but seems basic safety isn't being improved enough over the years. Since this happened, I tested my mokka down a steep slipway at Minnis Bay & even then I found it struggling to hold - click 6 just held it & I couldn't have pulled it up anymore!

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those who have taken their Mokka's back to Vauxhall dealer, if the result is "everything is fine" (like I was told), I wonder if enough people experiencing this issue of 'rolling cars' become more widespread (hopefully not) for us all to get together & take our cars back to a nominated Vauxhall Dealer to stress the point that in fact it's not fine & is actually a high risk safety issue possible endangering us & others on the roads and we want it rectified immediately! We have paid a lot of money for our new cars to work right & we shouldn't expect anything less.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feel sorry for anyone that has had their car roll away after applying the handbrake with the proviso that 99 times out of 100,if they had parked correctly then the car would not have moved! By this I mean parking in gear and when on steeper slopes, with the front wheels turned appropriately.

This is not just common sense, but is detailed in the Highway Code, including photos of which way to turn the front wheels, depending on if the vehicle is facing up or down hill.

The most common cause of cars rolling down a slope when left with the handbrake applied is that the handbrake may not have been applied sufficiently firmly to allow for the shrinkage of the metal of a hot brake disc / drum that occurs as the metal cools.

A neighbour of mine had exactly this happen with herpeople carrier. She had left it parked for about 20 minutes, came out to use the caronly to see her cargathering speed as itrolling down the hill! It rolled about 100 yards and was stopped by a lamppost andwhich caused thousands of pounds of damage to the car! The hand brake was still on, but although enough to hold the car when first applied, obviously it was not enough when the brakes cooled a bit. By their very nature, brakes get hot when used, even the rear brakes. You do not have to drive like a maniac for the brakes to heat up!

Anything mechanical or electrical canfail.It makes sense to take simple precautionsthat minimise thepotential for an accident that could occur following a failure of a component. Obviously you cannot cover every eventuality, but leaving a car in gear and turning the wheel is not exactly a hardship, nor rocket science!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Jet - with all due respect -we all know the Highway Code - the car was on the slope in the picture the handbrake was fully applied. The brakes have been inspected by Vauxhall - the handbrake was still fully applied when it hit the shutters. Whilst it wasn't me driving - given she was just getting out of the car to open the shutters. me personally I wouldn't have left it in gear or turned the wheel. Yes if I was leaving it for a long period of time.

The car had travelled less 10 miles. The journey involves no heavy braking.

Incidentally Vauxhall on my collection of the car did not leave the car in gear and it was a slope.

Going back to the issue in hand - Vauxhall also confirmed that the handbrake should have worked. They've taken it all apart and reassembled re-tensioned.

They also said they couldn't find anything wrong.
The first representative sadly said they don't listen /look at forums. given toyotas woes this perhaps isn't the best way forward. Second bloke on collection was great. He listened to the problems and gave feedback that they researched other dealers - at least he listened and tried to help.

Hope that helps deemokka

Edited by: djspira

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
@djspira
me personally I wouldn't have left it in gear or turned the wheel. Yes if I was leaving it for a long period of time.

Really. What is the difference?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The difference is: come home from work, stop car on my sloping driveway ( no room to leave on road) ,apply what should be a working handbrake, leave engine running, get out of car, open garage door, get back in car, drive into now open garage, stop car, stop engine, apply handbrake, get out of car, close garage door, go into house and have cup of tea.............horses for courses,

You should not need to leave in gear and wheel turned in every case as I suspect was the case with the car versus shutters?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts