Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've been on here as my Mokka has been going fine. It will be 3 years old in August. On Thursday the button on the hand brake came out as a plastic tag had broken. At the moment it has a temporary tape and elastic band fix so that I get to use it. My Vauxhall dealer had a look and it seems that the whole hand brake has to be replaced. This means also the center consul also has to come out. Fortunately the required part has already arrived after being ordered and will be done on Wednesday. I can't believe though that such an integral part that gets used hundreds of times would be made of plastic. Apart from this the car has been very good, but I'm looking to replace and will be looking at the new Mokka X when it arrives later this year.

1.4T SE 4x4

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The 'right' plastic can often be the best material for many tasks. I have just had my gas main 'pulled through' the pipe and all of the joints were plastic and the guy from National Grid said 'that's you sorted for at least the next 50 years'.

It's either a case of 'wrong' plastic or bad luck.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Such items have been plastic for a good 30 years!
Unlucky though, manufacturers wont offer spares where there is no demand (you can see this as a good sign that's its a one off!)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Plastic tipped plunger release on handbrakes have been standard for decades, and it is just unfortunate that yours has broken. It might have been defective right from when it was made and took all this time to fall apart, who knows.

As for having to get a complete handbrake unit as replacement well this is standard in car industry now, as they get more money for assembled parts..

On my wifes car (not Vauxhall) a window control unit PCB broke preventing the window operating, and I had to pay £380 for a new window motor as the £80 PCB is attached to the motor, and they would not sell the PCB (printed circuit board controller) seperately. Ripped off again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 13 plate MOKKA with 26000 on the clock and the release button on the handbrake has snapped off resulting in not being able to use the handbrake.Has anyone else had the same problem if so is it an easy/ cheap fix.

Post Merged. Please use the search box before starting a new thread.

Edited by: wellinever

·
Registered
2 Posts
The decision to buy our Mokka was steered by the lifetime warranty. Our button came off at the weekend so we made an appointment to take the car in this morning only to be told that the button is not covered by warranty and that it would be £90+ to change the handbrake lever at the main dealer that we are tied into because of the warranty. To say that yet again we are disappointed with the warranty and service package sold by Evans Halshaw is an understatement. I even pointed out this is part of the car that has failed under normal service conditions on less than 45k miles. Edited by: Dastle73

·
Super Moderator
9,153 Posts
Unfortunately most items classed as wear/tear will not be covered after the first year depending on the dealer's interpretation. You have nothing to lose by contacting VCS and explain your case. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tbh in 30+ years of motoring I've never heard of a button being a wear and tear item on a 40k car. Oils, filters, clutches, tyres,wipers,break discs/pads etc I would agree.

What annoys me is as it shows above, other owners have had the manufacture issue sorted with a replacement, so why can't we have ours fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine just pinged off as I pressed down on it a few days ago - i didn't even press it that hard but the plastic ""˜supports inside have totally snapped. Have made do with an elastic band around it to hold on the silver button for a few days but today it's totally stuck and I can't even drive it anywhere to get it fixed. Such a shoddy design! Did you get yours fixed?

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have had two Mokka's and not come across this, i feel a question needs
asking on how the handbrake, is disengaged do you slightly raise the handbrake
before pushing the release button to take the pressure of it ???,
just a thought

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I always pull it up slightly and depress the button. I've had the car over a year with no problems. Really worried by these suggestions that I may have to pay £350 to get a new handbrake. Even worse is that I can't even drive the car to get it fixed asthe handbrake will not work at all.

·
Super Moderator
9,153 Posts
Dcc said:
Yes, I always pull it up slightly and depress the button. I've had the car over a year with no problems. Really worried by these suggestions that I may have to pay £350 to get a new handbrake. Even worse is that I can't even drive the car to get it fixed as the handbrake will not work at all.

Are you not a member of a breakdown/recovery service?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yes a breakdown cover provider would no doubt come to your home and try to release the handbrake and if required transport to a garage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your replies. Vauxhall has quoted me £160 for the parts and £126 for an hour's labour. A local independent garage has quoted £160 for the handbrake unit( having been told by Vauxhall the silver plastic piece cannot be sold individually) and £200 for labour!!!! I have another local garage owner coming to look at the car outside my house tomorrow afternoon but don't think it'll be much cheaper. Really disappointed/annoyed to have to spend so much for a tiny little fault - clearly a low quality design. Have been really pleased with my Mokka until now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well the button on mine has snapped off..on closer inspection it looks like it's already been superglue before...is it worth trying the glue approach wouldn't mind but I've only had the car 2 months from Arnold Clark....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts