Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my mokka 1.7 cdt serviced in May. Now got 9500 miles on clock. yesterday the service light came on four months after service. Thinking this is not right so took the car to vauxhall dealership. They put it on computer and told me number 3 glow plug had gone down. Anybody body else had this problem.

Stuart

·
Registered
788 Posts
Very rare to get glow plugs fail, GM usually use Beru ones which are bullet proof (e.g. the 1.9 Zaf we have has 145k on the clock and there all still original and all working).
If changing them do it when the engine is hot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying, vauxhall doing the work on Friday. Thought it rare for a glow plug to go after only 9500 miles. Still you live and learn.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Off topic I know, but have wondered for a while about how many miles could you expect a modern Diesel engine to be good for?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Depends how you care for it, regular oil changes (not 20k !) and try to avoid the supermarket fuel (it has more bio diesel in it)and a few hundred k is easily achievable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
had a code 89 message on my 2013 1.7CDTI (30k).......turns out 1 of my glow plugs had gone

"usually we change all 4"
"okay, how much?"
"parts inc labor and vat looking around £600"
"
"
"oh I just noticed you're not part of the vauxhall service club! would bring the cost down to £420"
"okay what do I get with such a membership!?"
"it's free to join and no monthly or yearly fee"
"
...errm i'll just take the car back"

....."dad (mechanic) can you get me 4 mokka glow plugs?"
"sure son, genuine vauxhall parts would be £85"
"thanks dad, is it difficult to fit?"
"they're all easily accessible , I can do it on the driveway"
"....You would never believe how much vauxhall quoted me"

·
Registered
788 Posts
No need to replace all four these days, they usually do a good 100k miles plus without issue.
And do it with the engine hot plus once they have started to unwind, feed a bit of lubricant in (WD40) to soften the carbon as you remove them

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve just changed my glow plugs on 2015 mokka 1.6 SE 49000 miles, cost £30 for set of 4 (trade price) took 10 mins. Easier with engine hot. Easy job to do yourself. I had code 89 come up, plugged it into code reader said it was electrical problem on number 1 glow plug. For the price it’s easier to change all 4.

·
Registered
758 Posts
That's fine if you are mechanically minded, a lot on here are not,,neither are they confident enough to
tackle the job without guidance, that is why he asked for the benefit of some members on here

·
Registered
224 Posts
As above. There's a reason why YouTube is an extremely popular media platform you know :rolleyes::LOL: I would suggest the average motorist wouldn't recognise a glow plug, let alone be able to locate one in a car is 1000-1 ratio against those who can.

Also if its not complicated, it should mean that a step-by-step with photographs would be easy for someone who knows how to do it to do for the forum (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts