Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a 2018 Mokka X, at a recent service at an independent garage the technician found that the gearbox was leaking oil. Today, it has been into the main dealership to investigate under warranty.

I have been informed by the main dealer that the gearbox in a Mokka is designed to leak and this is perfectly normal! Has anybody else had a similar problem or am I being told a load of nonsense?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Can you tell me why they would design in a leak? I need to take mine back and have a leak installed.
I would hazard a guess that NO it should not be leaking, if it is it needs fixing.

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Is it manual or auto?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 1.4T Petrol Manual. Apparently, according to the Main dealer Technician, it is a "wet seal", my understanding is that a wet seal is for moving parts, which the casing of a gearbox is not. His words were "Its designed to leak a little, otherwise the gearbox would be noisy, like someone blowing through a glove".
This sounds wrong to me and I feel I am being fed a load of nonsense.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
You are being fed nonsense, not sure where your leak is from, but the seals are all replaceable, if the leak is from the bellhousing it will also likely be damaging the clutch, giving them the opportunity to blame your driving style for its failure and charge a small fortune to replace it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Most British classic cars leak oil but not your Mokka. It needs sorting if it is. Someone is bulls___g you.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have the 1.4 turbo .its not leaked yet had it 3yrs .i would think a gearbox only leakes when there is a seal gone or the casting is damaged ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had an oil leak on a 1.4T auto in 2016 but it was from the engine oil seal. I wasn't fobbed off and it was fixed under warranty without question.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Most British classic cars leak oil but not your Mokka. It needs sorting if it is. Someone is bulls___g you.
True enough, and if the old wet seal systems were in use today, with the number of cars on the roads, we would all be driving round on a skid pan.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The gearbox casing is a pressure die casting and porosity does happen Castings can be sealed by vacuum or pressure (simple wax or chemical sealants) but it depends on whether the GM procurement spec calls out sealing. If you have a gearbox that ‘sweats’ oil you might have a tussle to get it replaced under warranty; much the same as oil consumption on a new engine, OEMs usually say around .5 or.6 litre per 1,000 Kms is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The gearbox casing is a pressure die casting and porosity does happen Castings can be sealed by vacuum or pressure (simple wax or chemical sealants) but it depends on whether the GM procurement spec calls out sealing. If you have a gearbox that ‘sweats’ oil you might have a tussle to get it replaced under warranty; much the same as oil consumption on a new engine, OEMs usually say around .5 or.6 litre per 1,000 Kms is acceptable.
Faulty castings do occur, and would be replaced under warranty, the mokka manual gearbox is filled for life and has no means of level checking, if your scenario was acceptable the gearbox would contain no oil within 4,000 miles. Any Oil leak bad enough to be seen dripping on an MOT test can be a failure. It is a fault and should be repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Faulty castings do occur, and would be replaced under warranty, the mokka manual gearbox is filled for life and has no means of level checking, if your scenario was acceptable the gearbox would contain no oil within 4,000 miles. Any Oil leak bad enough to be seen dripping on an MOT test can be a failure. It is a fault and should be repaired under warranty.
I said the gearbox casing might sweat oil.and also said “oil consumption on a new engine, OEMs usually say around .5 or.6 litre per 1,000 Kms is acceptable” How do you manage to twist that into saying in my scenario a gearbox would contain no oil within 4,000 miles?

I don’t believe the Mokka manual box has no means of level checking. What does the dealer do in the event of a drive shaft seal leaking? Scrap the box and wait for a new one pre-filled from the factory?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I said the gearbox casing might sweat oil.and also said “oil consumption on a new engine, OEMs usually say around .5 or.6 litre per 1,000 Kms is acceptable” How do you manage to twist that into saying in my scenario a gearbox would contain no oil within 4,000 miles?

I don’t believe the Mokka manual box has no means of level checking. What does the dealer do in the event of a drive shaft seal leaking? Scrap the box and wait for a new one pre-filled from the factory?
Which VX dealer do you work for? if you didn't intend your consumption figure for an engine to be compared to a gearbox why is it in your post? The Mokka in common with many modern manual gearboxes has no means of oil level checking FACT, in the event of a leak the oil is drained the leak rectified and the specified quantity of oil added though the filling plug. Years ago new cars dripped oil, even in the showroom there would be drip trays to protect the carpet, but that situation is no longer acceptable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Which VX dealer do you work for?
Why do you ask that? Do I need to work for a Vauxhall dealer to be able to post on here? What’s it to you anyway, are you trying to bully me around because you’ve got a higher post count than me? I’ve been on a few forums and know I have to cause friction just to get some shoulder room so if you want to go down that lane then I’m your man.

You keep talking about older cars and things in the past. Must have been like that when the RAF changed over to all-metal monoplanes. Hundreds of old timers watching the new guys and shaking their heads saying “Ah but they’re not real fitters, they’d never know how to rig a biplane” Yesterday’s men talking about yesterday’s machines..

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Why do you ask that? Do I need to work for a Vauxhall dealer to be able to post on here? What’s it to you anyway, are you trying to bully me around because you’ve got a higher post count than me? I’ve been on a few forums and know I have to cause friction just to get some shoulder room so if you want to go down that lane then I’m your man.

You keep talking about older cars and things in the past. Must have been like that when the RAF changed over to all-metal monoplanes. Hundreds of old timers watching the new guys and shaking their heads saying “Ah but they’re not real fitters, they’d never know how to rig a biplane” Yesterday’s men talking about yesterday’s machines..
Your posts smack of dealer excuses, if you posts are wrong expect to be corrected its not bullying! Dealers don't want to do warranty work there is no longer any profit in it, better to fob of the customer till the warranty expires then make a killing. If you want to cause friction don't do it when your facts are wrong or you get put down. This forum does not tolerate bigots in any form and I strongly suggest you keep your ageist comments to yourself. We are off topic if you would like to continue this conversation I suggest you start a new thread I will not be continuing it here.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So now you’re climbing aboard the offended bus about ageism? Well, pardon my slip, in future I’ll try and remember to treat you with all due deference in respect of your advancing years LOL. Dry yer eyes man, there was no slur intended and fine well you know it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Who has rattled his cage .not a happy bunny .

Some people don’t like the truth

1 - 20 of 27 Posts