Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In recent years my experience with modern car fuel gauges is that they are very pessimistic - on my old Vectra 'C' even when the range was down to only 20 miles or so and the gauge completely in the red I was still short by at least 5 litres of the tank's stated capacity when I re-filled to the brim.

I was therefore somewhat surprised this morning when I re-filled the Mokka (the gauge was well into the red zone, but the trip computer still showed a range of 49 miles) and was able to put in 51.84 litres - the handbook gives the tank capacity on a diesel Mokka as 52 litres!

So which is correct? Did I only have a few drops of fuel left and the trip computer is incorrect, or is the tank actually bigger than stated (49 miles range must be at least 4 litres of diesel?), or was the garage fuel pump over-charging me? Not sure which to trust, but certainly don't want to run out of fuel on the M25/M1. However, with a 90 mile commute I don't like going to the petrol station more frequently than I have to either.....

Unfortunately I am already suspicious re. the trip computer - several brim to brim mpg calculations sugest the computer calculated average mpg is consistently optimistic by 6mpg whereas the Vectra's display was virtually spot-on. I had travelled 503 miles on the 51.84 litres which means I averaged 44mpg, but the trip computer (re-set when I last filled up) reported 50mpg.

Perhaps others can share their experiences?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I learned from experience not to treat the onboard trip as accurate. I would suggest that you were running on fumes and very lucky!!!!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
The average deviation from manufacturers' official mpg is 13% according to figures submitted to Honest John's real mpg . On that basis, you should be experiencing around 46mpg when run in . The deviation from the fuel figures given by the trip computer depends on how the manufacturers set it up , that is, what the figure is a given average for , and what algorhythms are used . Ultimately, it uses what it uses , and the only way it can improve is to follow eco driving advice , or tune the car accordingly , accepting , of course , that there is no underlining fault .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately I am all too aware that it appears most drivers of modern cars (including myself) find it impossible to match the official mpg - these are used by HMRC when they produce the recommended fuel cost reimbursement rates which my company uses, and there are regular complaints that the official mpg figures can't be achieved.

However, my point was not about the variance to the 'official' mpg, but the variance to the mpg reported by the car's trip computer. I have achieved over 46 mpg by my calculations, not bad for an automatic car, but a disappointment when the car was reporting an average of 52mpg! Given the error margin is so consistent (I believe others have mentioned similar mpg errors), surely it should be possible for Vauxhall to correct the algorhythms? Other cars I have owned have had much more accurate trip computers.

The biggest concern though is the accuracy of the 'range remaining' display - both my wife and I use this. There now appears to be the possibility it was telling me I had 49 miles left when the tank was virtually empty. Have others gone lower on their reported range or been able to put in more than the 51.8 litres of diesel I put in today? Note the handbook says petrol vehicles have a slightly larger tank of 53 litres.

·
Registered
349 Posts
From the manual. I think you will find it self explanatory:

Fuel tank:
Engine= A14NET A16XER A18XER A17DTS

Petrol/diesel, nominal capacity (lt)53 53 53 52

·
Registered
264 Posts
I ran mine down to the fumes and got 53L in the tank ran it 25 miles when it started flashing and got 533 miles out of a full tank. i will do the same this time and see what i get.
Edited by: FX_Red

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I realise I'm dragging up an old thread but figured it was worth sharing. I currently have a 1.6cdti SE Mokka (fwd).I use it for commuting plus it doubles up as the family car. I was reading the posts here regarding fuel tank size and consumption etc so thought I'd share what mine is doing.

As stated above the Mokka has a 52ltr fuel capacity but what no one has mentioned is that it's possible to also fill up the filler neck (as long as you have patience!). Then it's possible to squeeze in 58 litres! That has yeilded me a range (miles actually driven, not on board computer estimate) of 689 miles. That's from and back to the same filling station in a smidge over a week. Of those miles driven, 52 were on the red fill-up warning light and at refill the car estimated range still read 38 miles. Only wish I'd been driving a little more eco friendly the first half of the week

So these things do seem to run on nothing but fresh air and positive mental attitude

·
Super Moderator
8,887 Posts
Ace123 said:
Hi, I realise I'm dragging up an old thread but figured it was worth sharing.
Don't apologise, it was the correct procedure.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Funnily enough , just returned from a jaunt to the South of France . The hopefully fill or die message came up as we closed in on Le Harve , estimating that we should refuel there and make use of the cheap " gazole " . Came as some surprise that we did manage to squeeze in some 55l of the heavy stuff , which rather echoes the story above .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep pumping the fuel in until I have the fluid level visible right at the top of the neck opening. The current tank full I'm using hit 170 miles before the fuel gauge needle even moved off the full mark! So far it's done 550 miles with over quarter left on the gauge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tank of petrol.

Hi. I pick up my gorgeous Mokka X 68 plate on Friday. Its a 1.4 design nav. I was wondering roughly how much it costs to fill up a tank, approx of course.

Post merged.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The tank holds 53litres x it by how a litre it is in your area that will tell you.
For me to fill it up from empty to full would be around £65 ish @1.22 litre

1 - 15 of 15 Posts