Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for the engine experts --- Never having owned a diesel car before I wondered about the merits of using a fuel additive like Redex in the fuel system, is it beneficial for a diesel engine, especially a brand new one, and will it affect the warranty??? I have used Redex occasionally in all my previous petrol engined cars and never had a minutes bother with the fuel system on any of them so I assume it works to some degree. I have heard horror stories about how the increasing amount of Bio fuel content in fuel, especially supermarket fuel, can adversely affect some engines. Any advice?????

·
Registered
58 Posts
From myexperience of diesel enginesthe best thing to use is premium fuels like shell v-power or BP ultimate, at least you know the rightamountof additives is going in, it burns better and can increase your MPG. I have also noticed a slight reduction in engine noise.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The thing with modern cars is that they have so muchtechnologyinvolved in the engine by making it more fuelefficient byrecyclingun-burnt gasses etc.

All i do is give it a good blast on a 60 road in second or third gear when the engine is warm and watch that black cloud in the rear view mirror.

What happens is things inside the engine become caked up in carbon. I have had to replace my EGR valve and Swirl Flaps because of this. I now add 50ml of Millersevery other time i fill my car as this helps to reduce build up of carbon.

Andy

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am sorry to pee on this parade and be a wee bit controversial.
Show me any expert research into this and I'll gladly pay extra for so called 'premium' fuel. I have been driving both petrol and diesel cars for well over 30 years. I have tried the recent phenomenon of additives and I can report (in my humble opinion) that they are a waste of money. Placebo effect comes to mind.

Edited by: Love Stallion

·
Registered
374 Posts
There are 2 kinds of premium fuel, one with additives to help the fuel perform better and one that is refined to a more pure state.
Shell do the former with V-Power, thus rendering additional additives pointless as the additives in the Shell fuel actively clean the engine and help the fuel perform uniformly.
BP do the latter and thus produce a cleaner (and more expensive) fuel,, also eliminating the need for an additive as the fuel is clean.
To weigh up an additive means working out how much more you pay for V-Power or BP's higher octane fuel against using regular fuel and adding a £10 bottle additive.
None of them work unless you stick to using them regularly.

Wellfan, if you use a premium fuel in a modern computer managed car, the engine management will be able to adjust to the fuel type and perform better, this is why the likes of Superchips can increase the power output of a modern car by programming the ECU to allow for better quality fuel. Manufacturers have to build an engine to run poor quality fuel as most people will by the cheapest you can find.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Shell
V-Power Diesel's additives as
well as cleaning the injection systemalso improve injection pump and
injector lubrication.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

As the fuel tends to ignite more readily than regular diesel it tends to produce
less soot during combustion so allegedly you
should get less DPF regenerations if you use
it.Running Shell V-Power higher octane petrolin my remapped Subaru let the engine management wring some extra horses out of it without the danger of the dreaded engine killerpre ignition. With the exhaust catalysts removed & replaced with a single high flow sport cat along with the remap a safe 300bhp was achieved using V-Power.

Edited by: Flat Eric

·
Registered
767 Posts
Reviving this old thread.

I have just set up a 5 year service plan for my 1.7CDTi & it includes at each service an engineoil flush & a fuel system cleaner treatment plus air con deodorisation. Not sure what the fuel system cleaner will be but it is warranted & approved by Vauxhall MasterFit.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Flat Eric said:
Reviving this old thread.

I have just set up a 5 year service plan for my 1.7CDTi & it includes at each service an engine oil flush & a fuel system cleaner treatment plus air con deodorisation. Not sure what the fuel system cleaner will be but it is warranted & approved by Vauxhall MasterFit.
How much is that plan? Edited by: Ixasio

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
And for the rule of three, how much..... is the plan?

·
Registered
767 Posts
DietCokeBloke said:
And for the rule of three, how much..... is the plan?
There's an echo in here ... here ... here.

Although under the MasterFit logo it is called the Quest Group Service Plan. I had a few quotes from other local Vauxhall dealers that ranged from 3 years @ £17.33 a month to 4 years @ £25.07 a month. I showed them the contents of Underwoods plan over theirs& they matched it & came in cheaper per month. Cheeky or what?

Underwoods Service Plan CLICK

5 years coverfor a1st payment @ £21.28 & 55payments @ £20.90or aTotal £1170.78. Don't ask me why 56 payments.

Shopping around in Essex on averageat todays prices the 5scheduled services for a 1.7CDTi 4x4would cost approximatelyas follows (may be cheaper in your area):-

1st year £182
2nd year £238
3rdyear £182 + MOT
4th year £309 + MOT
5th year £182 +MOT
Total £1093 + 3 MOTs

So over the 5 years you pay £77.78 more but I get 3 free MOTs. Plus free health checks say before a long journey mid service, free puncture repairs, free courtesy car or collection/delivery & at each service free air con deodoriser, fuel treatment & engine oil flush. Quest's plan is inflation proof, interest free & gives 10% off all accessories including fitting.

When I was shopping around there didn't seem to be any set standard cost for Service Plans. A bit like when you haggle your OTR price for the car & get a few mats & things thrown in. It seems to bedone at local level.Luckily I am not long back from Egyptsoam in full blown"haggle mode".

·
Registered
38 Posts
wellfan said:
I am sorry to pee on this parade and be a wee bit controversial.
Show me any expert research into this and I'll gladly pay extra for so called 'premium' fuel. I have been driving both petrol and diesel cars for well over 30 years. I have tried the recent phenomenon of additives and I can report (in my humble opinion) that they are a waste of money. Placebo effect comes to mind.

This is spot on. Higher octane fuels tend to lose their RON rating the longer they are sat in the holding tank at the petrol station so unless you catch the tank at the right time your wasting your time money anyway.

My other car is close on 600bhp mapped on normal 95RON fuel and has run without issue for years. (apart from obvious issues with such a car)

Also worth adding that all new BMW's with a diesel engine have a note on the petrol cap stating "No additives". Or at least the 4 on demo in my work car park all have anyway.

Edited by: Love Stallion

·
Registered
633 Posts
jonpaullee said:
From myexperience of diesel enginesthe best thing to use is premium fuels like shell v-power or BP ultimate, at least you know the rightamountof additives is going in, it burns better and can increase your MPG.
+1

·
Registered
767 Posts
Barny said:
This is spot on. Higher octane fuels tend to lose their RON rating the longer they are sat in the holding tank at the petrol station so unless you catch the tank at the right time your wasting your time money anyway.

My other car is close on 600bhp mapped on normal 95RON fuel and has run without issue for years. (apart from obvious issues with such a car)

Also worth adding that all new BMW's with a diesel engine have a note on the petrol cap stating "No additives". Or at least the 4 on demo in my work car park all have anyway.
For day to day shopping/commuter cars alteringthe RON, the additives & the map in the ECUare allpretty much irrelevant. The marginal differences any changewould make in real terms are negligible. The standard set up is to give an average performance with good reliability & longevity of components. The same as the handling set up is biased to under steer as that's deemed the safer option.

The shelf life of RON is longer than a week or two so unless your local motion lotion supplier is in the back woods he should replenish his tanks on a regular basis. The busy ones around my way have a delivery every 5 or 6 days.

In my old club we ran selectable maps depending on fuel & what we wanted out of our cars. The higherthe RON the more aggressive the map. So on track days you can run a high RON & methanol mixwith a suitable map likewise for Rolling Road days. Then when doing the school run wind the map down to reduce wear & tear.

This one is mapped on 20% methanol but only has a smallish GT30turbo.

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/projects-40/963119-esl-racedynamix-1997-demo-wagon.html

As yours is mapped to 95 RON it will run without issue for many more years. Because it is mapped down to using 95 RON what bhp could you get if mapped upto say 99RON?

·
Registered
113 Posts
tosher said:
Here's one for the engine experts --- Never having owned a diesel car before I wondered about the merits of using a fuel additive like Redex in the fuel system, is it beneficial for a diesel engine, especially a brand new one, and will it affect the warranty??? I have used Redex occasionally in all my previous petrol engined cars and never had a minutes bother with the fuel system on any of them so I assume it works to some degree. I have heard horror stories about how the increasing amount of Bio fuel content in fuel, especially supermarket fuel, can adversely affect some engines. Any advice?????
Just read a review of Techronfuel additive made by Chevron in my autoexpress- been tested by an emissions company and seems to actually work - apparently Texaco/chevron actually put it in their fuel as a fuel additive but you can buy it in a concentrated dose for about 15 quid to give your motor a good clear out. Have a google - the reviews seems positive
not sure I would put the concentrated dose in a new car -but am considering buying some for my petrol audi as it was really low mileage when i bought it and seems a bit coked up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have used Powerenhancer diesel cleaner in my Zafira (180,000 miles) and it still runs like a watch.About £20 and used every 5,000 miles.
I shall be using this in my Mokka as well.
Link below:
http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/tag/product/list/tagId/21/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts