Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally tried the Flexfit bike rack fully loaded with 3 mountain bikes (26 inch wheels I think is the normal size) last weekend. Overall fairly happy but just thought I'd note the following:

The locations for the wheels on all of the bikes (they site on plastic extenders that fold out) seem a bit too short for my liking. There is no way to move or extend them so if you have a large bike with a frame geometry that exceeds this you might run into grief (large 29er springs to mind). I struggled getting the plastic ratchet strap around all of the wheels and would suggest that these could have been made longer.

There is a metal tube that is unclipped and located into the vertical position for attaching the first and second bikes. It is fixed in place with a metal clip. This moves about quite a lot in transit so when you look out the back window, you might see your pride and joy bouncing about a little too much (and you can't over tighten carbon).

The same metal tube which has one lockable bike support on it and takes a second lockable support tube (sold with the two bike extension kit) can be unclipped at the bottom and pulled out of place (as this is the method for storing it within the Flexfit). If this is the case, why bother with any locks as the whole 3 bike set up can be lifted off and possibly removed. I'm not saying that I am expecting Fort Knox, but if you're in a service station you never know what can happen.

The only way I can see around this is to fix additional locks through the Flexfit structure.

That's it for now but as always I welcome other peoples views.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interesting feedback re the "Flex-Fix" - this was one of the options i was defo going for, until i panicked andput an order for pre-ordered dealer 1.7 exclusiv 2wd - With 20-20-hindsight, i don't think a potentialextra wait of 7-8 months was worth the novelty of a bike rack i might only usehalf adozen times a year- max. I jumped and ordered without a test drive when i heard the MY14 chat (on this excellent forum)of spec change / extra delays / price increases etc. - i really need a test drive now to settle my nerves - but dealer doesn't have a diesel. Come to think of it I haven't even seen the colour yet - except on google images - hope i am not disappointed!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be more than happy but do go for a test drive. I really am very pleased with 1000 miles on the clock now. There is another thread somewhere which mentions the cost of the Flexfit and 2 bike extender compared to getting a tow bar installed and buying a decent bicycle carrier at a better price than the Flexfit, but for me I just don't have the space and I do love the way it all folds out of the back. I guess it's a question of priorities and you have probably done the right thing to bring your delivery date forward. Enjoy when it comes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, just picked my Mokka today. Ordered mid November! Loving it so far. I'm working nights this week so no chance to take it out for a spin before the weekend :( Quick question about the bike rack. Got the extender too but it's still in the box in my hall. Guys at my local Vauxhall dealership had never sold one before so couldn't tell me - with the extension on the Flex Fix, will it still fit into the rear bumper when not in use, or do you have to take the extension off?

Ta

·
Registered
494 Posts
You have to store the extender somewhere else. It's bulkier that the flex fit so it will be off and stored away next week in France. Not driving around with that hanging out of the back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi I wonder is there any document or video which shows on plain English how to install and use the flex fit extender ?

The instructions state dealership install only but surely I don't have to go there each time and I do not under the 2 page 6 picture instructions at all.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
767 Posts
Newmokkame9 said:
Hi I wonder is there any document or video which shows on plain English how to install and use the flex fit extender ?

The instructions state dealership install only but surely I don't have to go there each time and I do not under the 2 page 6 picture instructions at all.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
[TUBE]http://youtu.be/-5hcMOzMtx0[/TUBE]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have today fitted the 2 bike extension for the first time. The instruction leaflet is next to useless so what was supposed to be a 15 min job turned into an hour of trial and error. For anyonestruggling to find out how to clamp the plates on the trick is that you have to tip the rack in order to reach the holes.Once the two locating bolts and support plates are fitted (you only do this once as they stay on) then the extension frame fits like a dream. Just slot it over the locating bolts and click it down into place. All very good but I am left puzzled by the following - The two clamps supplied with the extension kit have locks in the end (the one provided with the original one bike rack doesn't) but they don't appear to do anything. There is also a third separate lock provided (looks like a postbox lock) but with no indication of where it goes.Has anyone solved this one?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts