Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
BR 3 car pacer. 10 litre turbo diesel
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been announced that a new car or motorcycle won't need a MOT, until it's 4th birthday. The article I read didn't say when it would start

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Only at the 'consultation' stage at the moment (it was announced in the budget this lunchtime).

·
Administrator
10,547 Posts
If it's not broke why mend it? In fact, I'd be in favour of reducing it to two years having seen the state of some of them on the road today.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
It's four years in Holland, the test is more extensive than the MOT and yet only costs c.£20.

However, they are 'hot' on roadside testing. No APK (MOT) and the vehicle is impounded and removed at your cost. No mucking about with defect notices.

·
Registered
404 Posts
wellinever said:
If it's not broke why mend it? In fact, I'd be in favour of reducing it to two years having seen the state of some of them on the road today.
I agree, I'm dreading when Mitzy has her first MOT next year what the defects will be. The roads in south yorkshire are terribleand knowing what the state of some of the cars that come into ourselves for MOT are in, suspension wise and they have an MOT every year, three years before a check seems an awfully long time never mind four years.

·
Administrator
10,547 Posts

·
Administrator
10,547 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know mechanically cars are getting more reliable but it's people checking essentials such as tyres, lights and wipers that are the problem areas..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most people who PCP their cars hand them back before the MOT is due anyway, this means 2nd hand car buyers will need to do some additional checks rather than rely on the MOT certificate being there.

·
Administrator
10,547 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I may be a bit cynical, but the survey was carried out by the SMMT. The current MOT doesn't take in to account various factors like mileage and use. I've just replaced my Mokka that was nearly 3 years old with 17000, and was in excellent condition, the tyres were original and had nearly 6mm of tread. The dealer had a VERY good look over it and couldn't believe the condition it was in. I've seen other cars about the same age with 60-70K on, and look like they have had a hard life. Maybe MOT's should be done on age/mileage, for instance3years or 30,000, or maybe4 years or 40,000 miles, (whichever occurs first). Just a thought.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah because I get that cars are getting more reliable but its people not checking tyres, lights, wipers etc. that is the issue and all of those could easily need replacing within 3 years.

·
Administrator
10,547 Posts
I suppose one tiny benefit with electric cars is that they shouldn't require an MOT as often (no emissions to test)

I see Northern Ireland is consulting on changing the MOT to a 2 year cycle instead of every year. I'll drink to that!
Biennual MOT testing proposed for Northern Ireland
I trust they have no intention of copying that on the mainland. :eek:

"Data reveals that more than 7.5 million of the 28.9 million cars and light commercial vehicles that underwent an MOT test in 2017 failed at the first attempt; that's around 35% of those taking it."
24 Jul 2019

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Yup, our Mokka failed it's first MOT at 6000 miles on headlight alignment I wonder how many would fail one direct from the factory?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I hope the 2nd year initiative goes through in Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland already has 4 years before the first MOT and had that for a number of years now and there’s been no rise in any of the accidents, breakdowns etc which the motor trade hysterically predicted. There’s about 15 or 16 European countries, including France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Denmark and Norway which have 4 years before the first test and no problems either.

The MOT test is a cash cow for the motor trade, they’ve got most motorists by the short and curlies and they make huge profits from the sale and fitting of over-priced parts. I’ve fought them and won over MOT failures but most owners don’t have the time, knowledge or guts to face up to them.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I agree, but it could be linked to mileage as well, under a certain mileage 2 years and over 1 year, with maybe MOT station certifying mileage for a small fee

·
Administrator
10,547 Posts
The amount of cars that fail on a one year cycle is bad enough without letting them carry over into the next 365 days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts