Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone , have been watching the developement of this car for some time , and saw one for the first time yesterday , so i boughtone

I visited Bristol st Motors in crewe , cheshire and he has 1- diesel fwd exclusive and 1- 1.4t awd exclusive and i was most interested as to how the 1.4 turbo engine would cope with the mokka's weight , and i have to say i was most impressed

We went on a 5 mile test drive over roads of varying quality, the ride quality was slightly firm but not as bad as some of the road tests have been suggesting and the steering seemed well weighted and precise , nice and light when parking but weighted up niceley at 50mph . The engine was whisper quiet and very refined , the gearchange was excellent , build quality seemed on a par with the new astra, but not too much for the brown and blue interior, rear vision was a bit limited @ the rear quarters due to the rising waistline and pretty thick rear pillars but the big door mirrors helped a lot , rear vision through the interior mirror was good all in all well impressed

But the main thing that impressed both me and the missus was how it looks just standing there , the "dogs bo******s come to mind .

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Nikko, great feedback from your test drive. I've been looking for a rugged, AWD car for some time and ordered one in October, so glad to here some positive things trom you, cheers.

·
Registered
506 Posts
@nikko - I assume you were only able to try the 1.4 turbo rather than the 1.7 diesel as well so we could get some idea on how they compere?

Is the 1.4 OK at low revs or do you have to work it to get optimum power (I appreciate this was only a test in a nil/low mileage vehicle so not able to stress much).?

While I much prefer diesels, given the hints elsewhere that the rather elderly 1.7 diesel is to be replaced with an all new 1.6 diesel in 2014 I would like to be persuaded towards the petrol model

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I'm thinking the new diesel if it comes out in 2014 would make a nice upgrade in three years time, there is always something new round the corner - new kit, facelifts etc. so I'm trying not to let that bother me too much....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No i did'nt drive the diesel , as i went to the dealers basically to assessif the petrol would be out of its depth, and as far as i was concerned it's fine . But i do understand your concerns having been a diesel driver myself for the last 7 years , firstly with a renault scenic 120 bhp and currently with a c3 picasso 110bhp , there certainly was not the pick up i am used to @ low revs with the picasso but it was more than adequate for me , that, plus the extra refinement and a £1300
cheaper purchase price was a deal clincher .
The salesman did bring the 2 wheel drive diesel out of the compound first and at tickover i could hardly hear it , when he took it back to the compound , jumped in with him and it did not sound any louder than my picasso but what it sounds like under load i can't say as he only got it into 2nd gear

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm petrol lover being forced towards the horrible smelly stuff by my company charges being a lot less for the tractor engine. I've loved my 1.8L petrol Astra, always good for a bit of fun and driving all over the shop. Hopefully I'll get to try the oil burner Mokka tomorrow - mind you in comparisson to the petrol engines I love anything elsewill sound noisy.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks for the additional information Nikko
. I shall just have to try both

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi all,
just been to FIVE in Farnborough for the Fast Forward day. YAY!

Had the opp to drive a Silver Exclusive Petrol 1.4 Turbo 4x4 and a Blue SE 1.6 Petrol. The 1.4 Turbo deffo has the edge for me
. It has 6 gears vs the 5 on the1.6. The 1.4 Turbo was much nippier and seemed todrivebetter in 3rd thru the corners. Am a lazy shifter
so like to do urban in 3rd :) as quickly as possible and only want to use 1st when I have come to a full stop. And before you say it, nope, the automatic is fully out of the question, I like to decide when to shift my gears, not the board computer!

They gave us approx 20 min on a pre determined route covering pretty much 90% of terrain, no off the road of course
. Some opps for a hills test, down/up hill, 90/120 corners, round abouts, 20/ 30/ 40 and 60 speed limits.

Unfort no diesels there
, they won't be available to drive until early December? Must be some dealer who's got a 1.7 Diesel in store?

Internally, the Exclusive was a bit basic, no auto wipers or auto lighting, also no sat nav in this particular model. Think it is required nowadays. Can stick it on the inside of your window but often blocks the viewesp with the trend to minimize window space but understand that this can be ordered additionally.

Rear view is good, big side mirrors, almost like a van but did experience the blind spot issue on the driver side when I turned left and had to go immeditately right and the driver behind me just disappeared from vision until he showed up next to me on the right and I had almostpushed him off the road
It was a Volkswagen Golf and one minute it was there,next it was gone.

Lots of storage space everywhere, probobaly only found half of them
and plenty of buttons to press
, deffo need a manual to go with it. Nice feature is the storage shelf that slides away behind the back seats (saw that on a post yesterday and showed off this morningtesting it as not many sales ppl seem to know about it
). Just think that the shelf needs to go down before you load the car or there won't be any space to slide it down.

Found the leather seats in the SE very comfi and supporting in the drivers seat, hard maybe for some but I would say "firm"! Unfort my wife had to sit in the back and hated the SE ride lol
too hard for her and the leather seats made her slide all over the place thru the corners :) She did try the passenger seat after we got back and added "ah you've got a bum holder at front"
so yes the front seats are holding you very well in place :)

Problem we find with leather seats tho is they are very season unfriendly ... scouring hot in summer and freezing cold in winter ... with the heated seats option, winter time should be more comfi but they have not invented a cooling pack yet for the summer time. Have to admit, I was a bit crack sweaty when I got out of the SE. Fully understand that leather seats are a very personal option for everyone. Or can take a Tech line instead of SE.

Overall good drive and highly impressed.

One problem tho for me... the color combinations external and internal
. 3 grey/silver options?! And just a blue and red that are less boring? You would think that nowdays with car sales and economics down, a supplier would want to keep customers happy and give them the option to make a choice and personalize their driving experience,whether boring silver or a bold statement.

I presently have a boring silver (Ford Focus 2001) and I really I want to spice up my life andgo with more color. My choice would be the VelvetRed but the hideous inside Cocoa/Dark Adriatic is disgusting
and putting me off! Would have taken the Boracay blue as replacement, were it not that my wife already has that color, on her new car,different make I know but 2 blues will still look silly on the drive way

Might have to go for the SE after all, choices choices lol
. Luckily, I still havea few months and maybe Vauxhall will come to their senses

Any one else been to Fanrborough this morning?

·
Registered
633 Posts
sebaso67 said:
Internally, the Exclusive was a bit basic, no auto wipers or auto lighting, also no sat nav in this particular model.
There should have been!

From October price list.
The Rain sensitive might refer to the speed they operate but a zoom into one of my photos of the exclusive shows a blurred AUTO on the light switch.

Edited by: Blum

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes I was looking for that button and it was on the SE but not on the Exclusive version I drove, which makes me wonder if it was the Exclusive at all or just simply the S, which would then explain why I thought it was so bare... it is not visible on the outside of the car and the kid that came with us did not seem to know very much ... I will deffo get back to a few dealers and try a few more times for a test drive before I decide ... especially since I have not been able to get in a 1.7 Diesel yet ... if you can, than why not :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts