Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have great pleasure in confirming that on Saturday I collected my shiny new Mokka. As a company car driver I could not wait any longer for the lease company to arrange delivery which would have been 'some time next week' so I agreed I would pop up to Northampton and collect myself (circa 130 miles each way!).

Just to give you a bit of background, I ordered my Mokka on 17 September 2012, so as one of the brave few I did not see or test drive the car prior to ordering! Please bear that in mind as I share my first impressions and resist in thinking 'surely you would have known that before you bought it'.

So... here goes...

Having just briefly sat in a demo model at my local dealership I sort of knew what to expect, and thankfully it was everything I had remembered... lots of buttons, random dash colours etc. The dealer I collected from insisted on talking me through all of the buttons but having read the manual cover to cover several times over the past few months it really wasn't necessary, I just smiled and nodded politely as didn't have the heart to say that I think it's quite common for the stick coming out of the steering wheel is there to make yellow lights on either side of the car come on!

Finally, once all the paperwork was signed and I had said goodbye to my old car (Toyota Auris 1.4 diesel Auto) I was free to drive off. Before doing so though I couldn't resist in putting the car into reverse just to see the rear view camera come to life. I have to say I am quite impressed with this having never driven a car with one before. The resolution is 'ok' but perfectly ample for the purpose. The yellow guide lines are very helpful and I am fascinated by how they bend as you turn the wheel to show the cars trajectory (I am easily pleased).

After being 'amazed' by the camera the next thing to do was pair my phone should I receive any urgent calls on the way home (!). This was a very simple process and very selfexplanatory.

The time had come to set off so I started it up... let's just say it is CLEARLY a diesel! My first reaction was 'tractor'. I am no engine expert and frankly I could not care less how loud or unrefined the engine sounds but having read the official reviews and other owners comments on here saying how it's really not that bad, I thought it was very noticeable (and Ihavespent the last 4 years driving a diesel). In the enginesdefencethough, when the stereo is on playing a select number of tunes, the engine noise falls into the background.

With the combination of me having just switched from an auto to a manual and the reading of stalling-gate from this forum, I pulled away quite nervously. Having survived my first manual gear change with very little juddering on my part, I headed in the general direction of the motorway with a plan to stop off for some brunch before programming Navi 600 for home.

Fortunately I stumbled across a well known burger based sandwich restaurant. Whilst sitting in said restaurant I was AMAZED to experience first hand the eye turning nature of the Mokka. Low and behold in the corner of my eye I spotted a family clearly inspecting my car. I was quite chuffed that someone had noticed it but secretly thinking in my head 'do NOT touch it'! Fortunately they didn't and they moved on I assumed thinking 'we must pop down to our local Vauxhall garage immediately'.

Next up was to prepare for my journey home. Having remembered my home postcode I set aboutprogrammingthe satnav. Note to self - the word 'city' also means 'postcode'. Route programmed and what followed was my first introduction to the voice directions which I can only describe as being rude! She came across quite forceful but I am confident our relationship with grow in the coming years (frankly she's gonna have to get used to me).

I had an approximate 130 mile drive home of which the vast majority was on the motorway. Knowing the M42 and M5 can be rife with cameras and undercover crime fighters I decided the safest option was toinitiatethe speed limiter. Set at a reasonable 72mph I found the drive home very comfortable and the cars computer told me I averaged around 50mpg which I am pretty pleased with. Overall the satnav was very accurate and the directions quite clear. I particularly like the 'countdown' for turnings as I am unable to gauge in my head how far 3/4 of a mile is!

Unfortunately I forgot to bring my iphone cable with me and have since concluded that the Navi 600 does not stream music over bluetooth unlike it's CD 400 cousin (not quite sure how that's happened?). As a result I just had the wireless to keep my entertained... though fortunately it is a DAB enabled wireless so found the audio quality very good and did not come across any coverage outages. Subsequently though I have since transferred an iphone USB cable to the car and find the user interface for controlling the iphone very simple.

Duringthe journey home I hadintermittentrain showers which was a result as I got to test the auto wipers. Using the controls on the wiper stalk you can change the sensitivity. I have settled at setting 2 which wipes often enough for me but not too often it becomes irritating. Also in my aim of purchasing the most automated car I could the auto lights function has been in the 'on' position since taking ownership. I am determined to never tamper with the cars decision as to when I need illumination. I have not yet however had the opportunity to test the high beam assist - I do not have the AFL option - thankfully as have read a lot of horror stories.

All sounds good so far? Well I do have a couple of niggles, but these are not major things, just me being a little picky...

- Why do the door mirrors not fold automatically when you lock the car? It's nice they do fold, but annoying it has to be by my command.
- Note to any very tall drivers... the rear view mirror does adjust so it is usable! Due to the many electronics in and around the rear view mirror, the casing is quite large... when I first got in I could not adjust it to a position where I could actually see the rear. After a mild panic and 'why did i buy this car' it magically sprung into place and I can confirm all is well.
- Spacesaver-gate... When I ordered my car there was no option for a spare wheel however you can now purchase at order for £100 but as an aftermarket fit its a lot more expensive... this is something I will be raising with VCS as however fancy the tyre inflation device looks, all neatly packed into the boot, Ijustdo not trust it and I want a 5th wheel in the boot just in case.
- Cocoa and Adriatic Blue interior... whilst it does not offend me I think I would have preferred a more traditional colour... but again as an early adopter I did not have this choice as I had opted for Carbon Flash as my exterior colour. I am sure though I will get used to this but need to revisit the mat situation. It has come with lease company branded mats and whilst they are fully tailored, they are black which I don't really think goes with the interior. More thought required on this one.

Right, I think that's enough waffle from me. I have another long drive tomorrow so if I have any developments on the above I shall let you all know...!

Nik

·
Registered
506 Posts
That was a really good read
. Thanks for taking the time and effort

·
Registered
572 Posts
Enjoyed reading that although marginally alarmed to hear your views on the diesel. This will be my first ever diesel car. I do hope I've not made a horrid mistake. Also correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you able to play music via your iPhone without a cable or am I mistaken?? What kind of cable did you need?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi AlyG,

The diesel comments are just my view, and I am a self confessed fool with regards to engines... I choose my car based on looks and gadgets contained within, I just noticed it fire up, but probably because I was practically sat there with my ear against the dash waiting for it based on the mixed reviews I have had. Whilst in my opinion the engine clearly makes it presence known, it has definitely not been an annoyance not uncomfortable and in all honesty day to day I suspect I will not tune into it.

Re the iPhone saga, I thought you could stream music via bluetooth however I believe that function is only available on the CD 400 and NOT the Navi 600, though I reach out to those wiser in the world of infotainment to prove me wrong (please be out there!). The cable required to link said iPhone to the car is the standard iPhone to USB cable i.e the one used to charge it or connect it to your chosen laptop device. It plugs directly into the iPhone and the USB port in the car.

Hot off the press - I have just ordered a retractable iPhone USB cable from Amazon (other online retailers available) so that I do not have reals of cable wrapped around the car. Potential additional niggle... why not put the USB port within the centre storage so that ugly cables can be hidden?

Hope that helps

Nik

·
Registered
767 Posts
nikt said:
Re the iPhone saga, I thought you could stream music via bluetooth however I believe that function is only available on the CD 400 and NOT the Navi 600, though I reach out to those wiser in the world of infotainment to prove me wrong (please be out there!). The cable required to link said iPhone to the car is the standard iPhone to USB cable i.e the one used to charge it or connect it to your chosen laptop device. It plugs directly into the iPhone and the USB port in the car.

Nik
Nik there is a bit about theiPhone here

http://www.mokkaownersclub.co.uk/forum/iphone-5_topic296_page1.html

And general bluetooth & phone here

http://www.mokkaownersclub.co.uk/forum/does-your-phone-work-with-the-bluetooth_topic473_page1.html

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Nikt,

What a good, honest review of your Mokka (and one of the longest posts on the forum
).
I've had my Mokka for nearly a month now, the 1.7CDTi and the very first thing my mrs said was how noticeable the engine noise is; however I must agree with you that constant useage helps to get used to the noise and for me, it does not spoil the overall ride experience. I've had two diesel Zafira's which didn't make the same amount of noise, but the Mokka is a much better ride overall

·
Registered
505 Posts
That was a good read. Thanks for sharing your first impressions.

After driving lots of diesel cars and Lorries. I did not think it was that loud. But hey its been that long imbeginningto forget what it sounded like and looked like inside.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have owned quite a number of diesel cars from the early 1980's onwards, mainly Peugeot and Fiat.I find the Mokka to be reasonably quiet in comparison to anything I have owned in the past.
I was sitting in the car fiddling about with some of itsknobs!! and forgot that the engine was running. Iactually tried to start the engine having forgotten that it was running.So it canny be that loud or I must be going deaf.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've never owned a Diesel car before - partly because of the noise element so I'm really really hoping i'm not going to regret this.... I guess all the neigbours are going to know it's Diesel by the sounds of it

·
Registered
506 Posts
Myself and SWMBO agree that the sound of a diesel idling is quite reassuring and we would miss it on a petrol model. We both concentrated on the sound when test driving and found it perfectly acceptable. It is slightly more noisy than my iX35 but well within our comfort zone

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

Well today I completed the first lengthy drive so thought I would share some of the stats following that.

A total of 252 miles and the computer has told me that I averaged 58.8mpg which (if accurate) I am quite pleased with. Is that good? Am I an eco driver?! I have to confess though that this is primarily 98% motorway driving and my secret is the speed limiter. I had it set the whole way and have to say that there is something of a calming effect knowing that no matter how fast you feel you are going, you know it is legal! This resulted in quite a relaxed, comfortable drive.

For those who are interested, and to feed any picture addictions, I have attempted to attached a pic of the trip computer which was reset just before today's journey:

There is also another screen within the eco menu of the trip computer per below which I have no idea about and must read up on... but the graph is quite full which I am taking as a good sign!

Regards

·
Registered
767 Posts
Nice update on real world mpg figures.

It's amazing how such a small %of non motorway driving drops your average speedto just under 45 mph.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice Read Nikt, must have been an autograph signing moment with fans admiring the car!!!

it makes a change from reading and checking build dates and exp delivery dates, I don't expect the diesel noise to bother me as I'm currently in the 1.7 diesel Astra Van which is quite noisy due to the emptiness of van, so may be quieter for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts