Vauxhall Mokka Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1.7 cdti SE engine seems to take an awful long time to get up to temperature from cold. The last few days I have done a short trip of 4 or 5 miles which takes about 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic. By the time I arrive the temperature gauge has not moved off the stop at all, the hot air from the heater is only aired and feeling around the engine & radiator it is barely warm to the touch. Anyone else noticed this or do I have a problem??? As most engine wear takes place while the engine is cold I would have expected a modern engine to warm up much quicker than that as indeed my previous cars have. Never having owned a Vauxhall or diesel before I wondered this was normal ???

·
Registered
236 Posts
All diesels take longer to warm than petrol.

I've seen somewhere in colder climates they have covers over the front grills to aid in faster warming of the engines

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mines back in the dealers Tuesday for the same problem, the needle doesn't move for 10 miles then moves up quickly, I haven't tried to touch the radiator to see if its only warm.
Also there a Vauxhall update to fit an extra cooling hose clip, that I wouldn't have known about if I hadn't reported the problem

·
Registered
633 Posts
Someone else posted this about a Diesel before Christmas, my needle starts to move at 2.1 miles, off drive and on to a 40mph road.

·
Registered
633 Posts
From 2012 press release, may have been about 1.4 petrol.
"Saving even more fuel
is the electronically controlled thermostat that ensures the best possible
thermal engine management. When operating at full capacity it cools the engine,
while during partial load operation it maintains a constant temperature."

Might want to get it checked?

·
Registered
633 Posts
rshud said:
You may be welcome of the heated seats ect as
my Mokka takes about a 10 mile drive to warm up. Very cold for the first
15 min, so short trips wear something warm. Still rate it as the best
car owned.
Posted 11th December.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dodenburg said:
Mines back in the dealers Tuesday for the same problem, the needle doesn't move for 10 miles then moves up quickly, I haven't tried to touch the radiator to see if its only warm.
Also there a Vauxhall update to fit an extra cooling hose clip, that I wouldn't have known about if I hadn't reported the problem
Hi Dodenburg, any feedback to share with us on this one yet ????

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have test driven my new Mokka today and have the same problem, travelled for about 20 minutes and nothing on the temp guage and then it slowly went to normal temperature, will contact the dealer tomorrow monday and report back on here.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have just spoken to the Service dept of my local dealer and he says that the Mokka system only sends a signal to the guage when the temperature is up to full working temp, now assuming thats true that's a strange departure from the norm. But it seems to make sense since the heater works ok, and if you watch the guage it suddenly climbs to normal position. Anyone else got any views?

·
Registered
41 Posts
jcol said:
I have just spoken to the Service dept of my local dealer and he says that the Mokka system only sends a signal to the guage when the temperature is up to full working temp, now assuming thats true that's a strange departure from the norm. But it seems to make sense since the heater works ok, and if you watch the guage it suddenly climbs to normal position. Anyone else got any views?
Seems a bit daft. Whats the point in having a guage? Might as well just be a light saying- 'On temp' or 'Off/Over temp'.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I agree, what is the point of a temp gauge in a car of this type? The information is going to be of little use to 99% of owners.

·
Registered
584 Posts
totally agree, doesnt make sense to me

·
Registered
584 Posts
just spokento the head of service at my local garage and he told me that the car uses an electronic thermostat to control the emissions. He said that when the car first starts the emmisions are at their highest and the circuit remains closed to bring the block of the car to full working temp. and as such the temp is controlled until it is at working temp, then the thermostat opens and allows full circulation. Thats the official view! The thermostat is very different from earlier types.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Took my TechLine manual diesel out today after reading this thread. First 2 miles nothing on gauge, then slowly started to come to life. After 5 miles the gauge was at quarter waydown from starting point. After 7 miles fully up to temperature, just slightly to the left of centre on the gauge, where it stayed for rest of 50 mile journey.There may be some truth to the explanation, "when the car first starts the emmisions are at their highest and the circuit remains closed to bring the block of the car to full working temp".
Most otherfuel gauges usually just gradually move from when the car is started. However, I do have to say that my wife's last Corsa D, 1.3 diesel Eco, never really got warm, even after some ten miles it was still Baltic.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My guage sits when active in the same position, just to the left of centre, I checked mine today and no change but the heat came through as the guage started to move. I think Vauxhalls ought to explain their design change

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jcol said:
just spokento the head of service at my local garage and he told me that the car uses an electronic thermostat to control the emissions. He said that when the car first starts the emmisions are at their highest and the circuit remains closed to bring the block of the car to full working temp. and as such the temp is controlled until it is at working temp, then the thermostat opens and allows full circulation. Thats the official view! The thermostat is very different from earlier types.
I thought that's axactly how the old temperature/spring controlled thermostat worked???

Electronically controlled thermostats are designed to changed the engine temperature for different operating conditions once the engine is up to working temperature. When running at high speed like on motorways the engine should run slightly cooler and when in traffic at low speeds etc. the engine needs to be slightly hotter and the electronically assisted thermostat does this. But if the engine temperature gauge was to rise and fall in responce to these changes it might cause concern to some drivers so the clever electronics hold the gauge indication steady at normal working temperature during these transients. If for whatever reason the actual engine temperature strays outside pre determined limits then the gauge reverts to direct temperature indication.

·
Registered
584 Posts
why not speak to your local garage service dept

·
Registered
767 Posts
Not forgetting there is a temperature sensor on the radiator fan as well. If that makes the fan stay on too long or cut in too soonyou will get over-cooling. Oppositely you willget overheating if it doesn't cut in soon enoughor forlong enough.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts